Posted By
Uni
Apr 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Derek Fountain wrote:
Go and buy Katrin Eismann’s Photo Retouching and Restoration book.

A woman author? No, thank you!

Can we all just mark that one down as the least subtle troll of the day and ignore it?

I bet I can do better than Ms. Eismann at Photo retouching.

🙂

Uni

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

H
Hecate
Apr 3, 2004
On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 17:06:53 -0500, Uni
wrote:

Derek Fountain wrote:

Can we all just mark that one down as the least subtle troll of the day and ignore it?

🙂

Uni
I bet you couldn’t find your ass with both hands… 😉

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
U
Uni
Apr 3, 2004
Hecate wrote:
On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 17:06:53 -0500, Uni
wrote:

Derek Fountain wrote:

🙂

Uni

I bet you couldn’t find your ass with both hands… 😉

I can, too; I found you.

🙂

Uni

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui

JS
james_schot
Jun 9, 2004
Client provided several prints for restoration.
Paper has a texture. When scanned it leaves tiny
blue/white specks.

Tried Dust & Scratches filter, Despeckle Filter,
and this did not resolve this problem. Is there
a method (besides cloning) to get rid of these
specks in mass?

Appreciate input. James

PS. I believe I could have done original scan
with descreen, but these are phtographic prints.
B
BobLevine
Jun 9, 2004
I believe it was Len who said that you could put some plastic on the scanner pour on some glycerin and then put the photo in the glycerin to eliminate the white specs.

A bit messy but apparently it works very well.

You might wait for Len to check in for a full explanation.

Bob
H
Ho
Jun 10, 2004
If the glycerin method scares you (as it does me), you may just want to copy the photos in the conventional manner (with a camera) in a light that does not accentuate the paper texture.
L
LenHewitt
Jun 10, 2004
You pretty well covered it, Bob <g>, although I would be cautious with a customer’s prints as they WILL require washing and re-drying afterwards.

Fortunately textured papers tend to be quite substantial and it’s not like trying to wash a re-glaze a single-weight glossy fibre-base bromide!
A
abclapp
Jun 11, 2004
Try nitro-glycerin and you can develop a new method of "blowing-up" your prints! You will still have specks, but they’ll no longer be "in" the prints. They will be the prints.
RH
r_harvey
Jun 11, 2004
The Epson 4870 scanner ($400) has two lights. This should minimize or eliminate most shadows from textured paper.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jun 11, 2004
Second light is used to create IR channel for ICE to work, as I understand it. I don’t think the second light is used for the actual illumination.

Of course, the ICE *might* clear the speckles from the textured paper grain. Or not.

You have one and have tested?

Mac
QP
Q_Photo
Jun 12, 2004
Go to FORUM SEARCH at top of page. Type in "Polaroid". When search shows results, look for anything containing "Dust & scratch removal". There is info about a free download that may help you. I find myself using it pretty often, and have learned to like it, after some trial & error. Be sure to work on a copy layer as it will do damage to areas of high contrast, such as the white in eyes and teeth and so-forth. After I have made my corrections, I then erase these areas to let the layers below show through, the flatten.
BL
Bill_Lamp
Jun 13, 2004
I’d like to second Q Photo’sstatement about working on a copy layer. They are very useful for ultra fine tune work using the opacity slider. And, unlike the FADE control, opacity lets you change it later after you have made other changes.

Bill
DS
David_Skidmore
Jun 13, 2004
Here is a simple solution. Make one scan with the photo’s top at the top of the bed then turn the pic 180 so that the top of the pic is at the bottom of the bed and take a new scan. This will give you two scans with the light from two different angles. Then match, blend and merge the two in PS. This will usually remove most of the pattern. Also, pick an orientation to start with that reveals the least pattern. You may end up not having to go to step two.

David Skidmore
PhotoMiracles.com

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections