A
Posted By
Autodidact
Sep 14, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can someone help me with opening Mac .psd files that contain text on a PC?

I know the .psd format is supposed to go across formats, but I believe you need to rasterize any text before saving on the Mac or you’ll have trouble opening on PC. I have just taken over a website from a Mac user who provided me with several .psd’s that I am unable to open. I get an "out of memory" error from Photoshop on all my systems.

Is there a program out there that can convert it to a true PC .psd or at least somehow let me open the f***ing files? Windows can see the preview of the files and give me all their properties just fine, I just can’t get them to open in Photoshop…

Thanks,

Craig.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

T
tacitr
Sep 14, 2004
Can someone help me with opening Mac .psd files that contain text on a PC?

They are the same; no conversion is necessary.

I know the .psd format is supposed to go across formats, but I believe you need to rasterize any text before saving on the Mac or you’ll have trouble opening on PC.

That is incorrect.

You can open Mac files on the PC and PC files on the Mac even if they contain text. You will not be able to EDIT the text unless you have the same font that the text is set in. If you have the same font, no problem.

I have just taken over a website from a Mac user who provided me with several .psd’s that I am unable to open. I get an "out of memory" error from Photoshop on all my systems.

Then you are running out of memory, or the file is damaged.

It is NOT because it’s a Mac file; Mac and PC Photoshop files are identical, even in text.

How much memory do you have in your computer? How big is the file? How was the file given to you?

Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
A
Autodidact
Sep 14, 2004
You can open Mac files on the PC and PC files on the Mac even if they
contain
text. You will not be able to EDIT the text unless you have the same font
that
the text is set in. If you have the same font, no problem.
I have just taken over a website from a Mac user who provided me with several .psd’s that I am unable to open. I get an "out of memory" error from Photoshop on all my systems.

It is NOT because it’s a Mac file; Mac and PC Photoshop files are
identical,
even in text.

How much memory do you have in your computer? How big is the file? How was
the
file given to you?

I have 512MB in all my systems. There’s 4 files, one 10mb, two 800kb, one 27kb. Even the 27kb one gives me out of memory so I doubt the problem is that I don’t have enough RAM. I received them together in a zip, so maybe the files are damaged… any chance I could email you the small one and see if you can open it?
NN
Nick Naim
Sep 14, 2004
"Autodidact" wrote in message
You can open Mac files on the PC and PC files on the Mac even if they
contain
text. You will not be able to EDIT the text unless you have the same
font
that
the text is set in. If you have the same font, no problem.
I have just taken over a website from a Mac user who provided me with several .psd’s that I am unable to open. I get an "out of
memory"
error from Photoshop on all my systems.

It is NOT because it’s a Mac file; Mac and PC Photoshop files are
identical,
even in text.

How much memory do you have in your computer? How big is the file? How
was
the
file given to you?

I have 512MB in all my systems. There’s 4 files, one 10mb, two 800kb, one 27kb. Even the 27kb one gives me out of memory so I doubt the problem is that I don’t have enough RAM. I received them together in a zip, so maybe the files are damaged… any chance I could email you the small one and
see
if you can open it?

You can send me the 27kb at if you want.
G
Gadgets
Sep 14, 2004
Could it be a version error? When saving from the Mac, is maximise compatibility turned on?

Cheers, Jason (remove … to reply)
Video & Gaming: http://gadgetaus.com
T
tacitr
Sep 15, 2004
There’s 4 files, one 10mb, two 800kb, one
27kb. Even the 27kb one gives me out of memory so I doubt the problem is that I don’t have enough RAM. I received them together in a zip, so maybe the files are damaged…

That could very well be. It sounds like they got clobbered somewhere along the way.

any chance I could email you the small one and see
if you can open it?

Sure!

Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections