DB
Posted By
Dave B
May 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I work on a PC, and I burn a lot of my Photoshop files to disc to take to various printers around town. I use Roxio Creator Classic 6.0, and the discs cannot be opened on Macs. Can anyone recommend some CD burning software that will make a disc that is readable on both platforms (and please – spare me the Mac vs. PC debate – I’ve already heard it… 🙂 )

Thanks!

Dave

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

X
xDsrtRat
May 7, 2004
"Dave B" wrote in message
I work on a PC, and I burn a lot of my Photoshop files to disc to take to various printers around town. I use Roxio Creator Classic 6.0, and the
discs
cannot be opened on Macs. Can anyone recommend some CD burning software
that
will make a disc that is readable on both platforms (and please – spare me the Mac vs. PC debate – I’ve already heard it… 🙂 )

Thanks!

Dave
Have you checked with Roxio to see if this is something on their end? It could be the CD file system you are choosing. I’m using CD creator and have several choices, but I’ve never changed from the default.

I was under the impression that a JPG is a JPG and that the file structure of a CD was operating system transparent. I know I’ve read CDs created by Linux systems and I’ve accessed executable files, but could not run them, on a CD that was destined for a MAC.

One possibility is you are saving in a file not available by the other program. If you save with a fairly standard file type, i.e. JPG, EPS or TIFF, there should not be a file type compatibility problem. I’ve shared files with MAC users and they have sent me files without a problem.
D
Dodo
May 7, 2004
"Dave B" wrote in
news:81Rmc.11380$:

I work on a PC, and I burn a lot of my Photoshop files to disc to take to various printers around town. I use Roxio Creator Classic 6.0, and the discs cannot be opened on Macs. Can anyone recommend some CD burning software that will make a disc that is readable on both platforms (and please – spare me the Mac vs. PC debate – I’ve already heard it… 🙂 )

Thanks!

Dave

If I remember correctly there must be some program named TMAC. I have used it on a PC to read MAC-CDs.
So, rather than burning a CD for the other platform, it enables you to read a MAC-CD on a PC (and probably vv). You can then convert/save to HD the picture suitable for the system you are working on.

Cheerio!
BD
Bob Davis
May 7, 2004
I burn lots of CD’s for Mac users, and the problem I’ve had is getting the file system set right. Roxio v6 allowed changes as above, but you must change it for every burn, a ludicrous oversight. For this reason I migrated to Nero v5.5.10.42 (latest version is v6 or higher), which retains its settings. I have the following ISO settings:

File/Dir. name length: ISO Level 2
Format: Mode 1
Character Set: ISO 9660
Joliet: Enabled

If ISO Level 1 is set, you will not be able to read more than 8.3 characters in the filename. Macs will truncate the filenames to something like File10~1.jpg, which can cause problems if info after that point is truncated.

Warning: Many Macs can’t read more than 31 characters in the filename regardless of the CD-burning method. I think OS-X, maybe even OS9, can negotiate more–but in the interest of compatibility I never exceed 31 characters including the extension.

This may address file-naming issues, but if the Macs won’t read the CD at all, I don’t have a clue what the problem might be.

"Dave B" wrote in message
I work on a PC, and I burn a lot of my Photoshop files to disc to take to various printers around town. I use Roxio Creator Classic 6.0, and the
discs
cannot be opened on Macs. Can anyone recommend some CD burning software
that
will make a disc that is readable on both platforms (and please – spare me the Mac vs. PC debate – I’ve already heard it… 🙂 )

Thanks!

Dave

7ibehx001
May 8, 2004
"Dave B" …

Make sure that the disk is "closed" — you can set that before, or if you’ve already burned the data, as a separate operation after (when "closed", you can’t add any more data, but the format is now a normal data CD). I use an old version, 4, and can read disks made that way on any platform.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections