CL
Posted By
Carter_Low
Aug 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am trying to take a Photoshop file created on a PC and load it into Photoshop on a Mac. It appears that the Mac cannot read the .psd file directly. I tried creating a .eps file but it collapsed all the layers. How can I take the Photoshop file that was created on a pc and load it into a Mac without loosing the layers?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Carter

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 10, 2004
Carter,

Aside from a possible version incompatability that would be solved by editing your File Handling preferences under the Edit menu (preferences), you should be able to open that file on a PC or a Mac. How do you know that you can’t open it on the Mac? What happens?

Peace,
Tony
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 10, 2004
PSD files work across platforms without a problem.

What versions of Photoshop are you using on each platform?

And how are you transferring the file (mistakes here are the most common cause of problems)?
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 10, 2004
For clarification Chris, I was referring to the very unlikely scenario where "Maximize compatability for PSD files" being unchecked may account for a problem. But you’re right, it’s usually the transfer process. But if he can read the file and import it as an EPS, then I would think it wasn’t a media/format issue. <shrug>.

Peace,
Tony
CL
Carter_Low
Aug 10, 2004
Guys, thanks for the info. I just talked to the guy who is trying to read in the file on his Mac and he "clarified" that the problem was the when he opened the .psd file all the layers were collapsed. So it looks like the file transfer worked ok (I assume that if it was a problem with the transfer it would not open at all). By the way, the transfer was done by putting the .psd file on a cd. Is there any settings/preferences on the Mac which would cause it to collapse the layers when opening?

-Carter
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 10, 2004
Carter – see the FAQ for some Macintosh problems that might explain that.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 10, 2004
Carter,

I assume that if it was a problem with the transfer it would not open at all

Yep.

Is there any settings/preferences on the Mac which would cause it to collapse the layers when opening?

The thing to check is YOUR version of photoshop. Go to Edit|Preferences|File Handling and see if "Maximize PSD files for compatability" is checked. If it isn’t it could be a version issue.

Alternatively, you can give him a layered tiff, but that’s just a workaround.

Peace,
Tony
B
BobLevine
Aug 11, 2004
Alternatively, you can give him a layered tiff, but that’s just a workaround.

Or a Photoshop PDF.

Bob
CL
Carter_Low
Aug 12, 2004
Guys,

I looks like using the .psd file worked. I’m not sure what the problem was the first time, but it seems ok now.

Thanks again for everyone’s help.

-Carter

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections