DD
Posted By
Diane Dusek
Oct 24, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What are the benefits of converting from PC to Mac? I don’t enjoy new learning curves but I keep thinking that maybe Mac may be easier to work with. I just don’t know if it’s the right thing for me because I know PC extremely well.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

P
Phosphor
Oct 24, 2008
"…I keep thinking that maybe Mac may be easier to work with."

What, specifically, leads you to believe that?

You don’t enjoy "learning curves?" Staying current with the computing experience is about learning curves. We know nothing about you and your experience, and whether your previous learning style and efficiency would serve you well for a switch.

I’m not trying to dissuade you; I am, after all, a hard core Maccer. But many folks get on fine working in Windows. But there needs to be more to your reasoning than "just because."
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Oct 24, 2008
I keep thinking that maybe Mac may be easier to work with

Is this from hands on experience or Mac marketing?

At present, the only benefit for a Photoshop CS4 user on Mac is 16 bit printing. The only benefit for a Photoshop CS4 user on Windows is that they can use Photoshop as a 64-bit app. Otherwise, you would be using the same app – – – so switching platforms is a good way to blow money on duplicating hardware and software licensing.
P
Phosphor
Oct 24, 2008
I suggest not "Leading the witness" with any possible reasons (whether objective or subjective) about what might be influencing her potential change of platform.

Let’s hear from her before we support or refute (or nod, or mock or laugh or say HELL YEAH! or HELL NO!), so we get a fair accounting of HER reasons, and not reflections of our own.

🙂
P
Phosphor
Oct 24, 2008
Diane,

Are you concerned about the OS or Photoshop? Photoshop is nearly identical on both platforms.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Oct 24, 2008
I manage both PCs and Macs. Yes, the Mac OS is overall "nicer" to be working under than Win. By a lot.

Most major apps including the CS are very similar under either platform once in the app, but just living the Mac OS rather than one of Microsoft’s OSs is nicer. Just poll your graphics associates like publishers and the like.

However there is indeed a learning curve with any change, IMO worth it.
NK
Neil_Keller
Oct 24, 2008
Diane,

For me, the Mac is easier to learn and use than a Winbox. And I prefer the interface. But that’s me.

If you are very comfortable using Windows, I agree with others that you should have one or more good reasons for wanting to switch. It could be anything that makes computer use a better experience for you. Maybe, just the Mac look and feel (GUI); fewer issues with viruses and other malware; Vista issues; your friends or colleagues all have Macs…whatever.

Please get back to us with details so we can walk you through the decision process.

I’d just hate to see someone spending a lot of money on new hardware and software crossgrades, plus the attendant learning curves (not big; but none-the-less they’re there) if the benefit isn’t there for the user.

Hey, it’s the same thing choosing between Nikon, Canon or Sony cameras.

Thanks.

Neil
DD
Diane Dusek
Oct 25, 2008
The reason that I have been considering changing is because

1) I have heard that Vista has alot of problems and that one must upgrade all software when upgrading to Vista. So, I figured that I may as well buy a Mac because it is rumored to have fewer problems.

2) Mac seems like it is so user friendly.

3) I hear that the tech support for Mac is unbeatable.

4) I do alot of graphic work and I was told that Mac is the computer to use for Mac work.

5) The Mac computer just seems to be more "fun."

The reason that I asked on this site is because I use Photoshop and thought it would be a good forum to ask. However, I am quite a novice at Photoshop.

Speaking of Photoshop, what are your thoughts on upgrading from CS2 to CS4 as far as benefits?

Thanks, Diane
DD
Diane Dusek
Oct 25, 2008
Sorry…have another question. I love my Logitech keyboard and mouse. They don’t say that they are Mac compatible. Are most PC peripherals compatible with Mac?
P
Phosphor
Oct 25, 2008
Diane,

Some peripherals are compatible, some are not. I’d query the manufatcurer. Note that Mac usues a different keyboard layout than Windows, so there may be an issue.
B
Buko
Oct 25, 2008
if you are doing graphics you should be using a Wacom
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 25, 2008
Speaking of Photoshop, what are your thoughts on upgrading from CS2 to CS4 as far as benefits?

CS4 is just light-years ahead of CS2 in every way — particularly in terms of stability, speed, general efficiency and a greatly expanded feature-set.

Simply "No Contest".
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 25, 2008
People that have been using Apple computers all their lives are bound to prefer them to Windows so that has to be borne in mind.

Your reasons are not all very compelling.

1) I have heard that Vista has alot of problems and that one must upgrade all software when upgrading to Vista. So, I figured that I may as well buy a Mac because it is rumored to have fewer problems.

Not true. All my legacy software runs on Vista 64bit. Vista had problems in the early days but not any more.

2) Mac seems like it is so user friendly.

It’s what you are used to. I struggle for hours before I’m comfortable with my friend’s Mac.

3) I hear that the tech support for Mac is unbeatable.

I’ve heard the opposite. From what I’ve read in this forum, Macs certainly need more maintenance.

4) I do a lot of graphic work and I was told that Mac is the computer to use for Mac work.

That used to be the case some time ago – Macs had quite a few advantages. But now the results are indistinguishable.

Whatever turns you on.
C
Cindy
Oct 25, 2008

It sounds like in your heart, this is what you want to do. I don’t think you would be disappointed. You are trying to justify the move with "reasons" but I would just go with the direction you want to go.

I have both PC’s and Macs. I love Macs. I think there is no comparison with over-all user experience. Will a PC do the job? Sure. But I would be disappointed if that is what I had to use for my every day use. I would toss all the PC’s if I could.

The OS is a big factor. Tiger is what I use on a Mac Pro and I love the interface, the security, no concerns over catching a virus, no registry (I can’t emphasize the no registry part enough).

The equipment. Have you ever opened up a Mac Pro? You should. What a beautiful piece of workmanship. Every little detail has been well thought out. PC’s don’t even come close to that. As a matter of fact that would be the same thing you would notice about the OS. Detail. Everything is just well thought out to give a rich user experience.

Software? I suppose once you open up Photoshop or Illustrator the two platforms are pretty much the same. But I couldn’t be sure because the last version I put on my PC was version 5 I think.

But don’t let me talk you into it.
B
Buko
Oct 25, 2008
Macs certainly need more maintenance.

I don’t do sh!t to mine and they just chug along.
C
Cindy
Oct 25, 2008
Macs certainly need more maintenance.

Never. Where do you get this Bologna?
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Oct 25, 2008
From what I’ve read in this forum, Macs certainly need more maintenance.

A key part of the quotation was missing. This Mac Photoshop forum appears to have more posts about system maintenance than the Windows forum has. I would not attribute this to the idea that Mac needs more maintenance. Each platform requires maintenance. Because of this ‘easier to use’ marketing fluff, I’d guess that the typical Mac user is less accustomed to maintaining their system – – so when odd stuff happens, they are not prepared and come running to the forum. Search this forum for ‘permission’, ‘cocktail’, ‘combo update’, etc to see the odd stuff recommended here to keep Mac running well. Some folks can’t even figure out what ‘repairing permissions’ really means so they just do it constantly. Those that promote the Mac as being easier to use have prolifically posted a lot of maintenance steps here that a Windows user would never need to worry about. Just search the forum to see. It is kind of odd.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 25, 2008
I am not knocking Macs. Some may remember about a year ago my main work computer needed replacing and I was seriously considering switching from Windows.

It was the cost of new software the problems with the OS and the sight of posts like this that put me off:

Routine maintenance is imperative.

I still advocate Repairing Permissions (with Apple’s Disk Utility) before AND after any system update or upgrade, as well as before AND after installing any software that requires an installer that asks for your password.

I have seen software installations go sour because the installer did not find everything as and where it should be.

I have also seen software installations go bad because the installer did not clean up after itself properly and did not leave everything as and where it should be.

This is just my own personal opinion and practice based on my own observations. Others may disagree and that’s OK. I can only base my routines and my advice to others on my own experience and conclusion. I don’t pretend to know why others believe otherwise.

Repairing Permissions after the fact (i. e. not immediately before and after an install) seldom helps.; Try it anyway, though.

Additionally, if your machine does not run 24/7 so that it runs the daily, weekly and monthly Cron Scripts in the middle of the night as intended by Apple, run Cocktail (shareware) as well.

Cron Scripts are maintenance routines designed by Apple to run on a daily, weekly and monthly basis in the middle of the night.

If you don’t run them, you WILL run into trouble, sooner rather than later.

Here’s an excerpt from the Apple tech doc <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107388>

Mac OS X performs background maintenance tasks at certain times if the computer is not in sleep mode. If your computer is shut down or in sleep at the designated times, the maintenance does not occur. In that case, you may want or need to run these manually.

Mac OS X periodically runs background tasks that, in part, remove system files that are no longer needed. This includes purging older information from log files or deleting certain temporary items. These tasks do not run if the computer is shut down or in sleep mode. If the tasks do not run, it is possible that certain log files (such as system.log) may become very large.
Also, from: <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106978>

The disk activity generated by find is a normal part of file system maintenance, used for tasks such as removing invisible temporary files that are used by the system. It is scheduled to occur early in the morning at 03:15 everyday, 04:30 on Saturdays, and 05:30 on the first day of each month.

NOTE: There have been comments to the effect that Apple "fixed" this in 10.4.2 and later versions of the OS, but I have not been able to verify this to my satisfaction. The reference in the 10.4.2 release notes are far from explicit on this subject.

If you have DiskWarrior, run it regularly too.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 25, 2008
John:

Unfortunately you misunderstood entirely how quickly and easily these tasks are done on a Mac:

Repairing Permissions: One click of a button to launch an action that normally takes about 45 seconds to complete.

Cron Scripts: Run automatically in the middle of the night; or can be run at any preset time to suit the owner’s convenience; or can be invoked at any time through a program such as Cocktail.

DiskWarrior is an invaluable tool for occasional use to Repair the Directory if it becomes fragmented. If the computer starts to open and save files more slowly, running DW can get things back up to speed for you — although some people go for months without running it at all!

Basically that is all that has to be done to keep a Mac running optimally and it is no sweat to do these extremely simple tasks.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 25, 2008
Fair enough Ann. There were other things other than that example, but I won’t labour the point.
C
Cindy
Oct 25, 2008
Gees, Windows has a MILLION utilities to make the damn thing run better. RegEdit galore. And I can pick through the registry file better than most. To say the Mac has "problems with the OS" is taking things way out of context.

These few utilities keep the Mac running quite smoothly. As a matter of fact, I have never really had a problem since Panther came out. I didn’t even buy DW until last year and I still think Disk Utility is quite adequate.

I think the people who have problems with a Mac do things they aren’t suppose to. I run a fairly clean system and it really pays off.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Oct 25, 2008
Diane you will like your Mac.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Oct 25, 2008
Repair the Directory if it becomes fragmented.

Windows users defrag for free.

Gees, Windows has a MILLION utilities to make the damn thing run better.

….which they don’t have to buy like DiskWarrior. Perhaps that is why Windows users do not have a potty mouth? 🙂

The point of the recent posts is that Mac, like any other system, is not maintenance-free and can require just as much attention as any other. It was not to say any system was inherently better than another. If anyone has an issue with that then they should stop making off topic Mac system maintenance posts in this Photoshop forum. Such posts do not color the Mac platform as ideal.

<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?128@@.3c058d09>
<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?128@@.3c059a90>
<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?128@@.3c0621be>
<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?128@@.59b5ada9>
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 25, 2008
Neil:

Your mop is needed yet again — for the usual reason.
C
Cindy
Oct 25, 2008
It seems that Cindy doesn’t think Ann is doing what she is supposed to.

You really are an idiot. I think you like the negative attention.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Oct 26, 2008
Cindy, you need to visit Ann’s threads linked above to recognize the irony in your comment. And watch the language. This thread was tame until you entered.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Oct 26, 2008
Cindy, you need to visit Ann’s threads linked above to recognize the irony in your previous comment. And watch the language. This thread was tame until you entered.
L
Lundberg02
Oct 26, 2008
Joslin is entitled to his opinion, but he is wrong.
"Jordan" is not entitled to his opinion, because he is a troublemaker by profession.

I have used Macs and PCs for 28 years. Macs are by far the easiest to use and require little or no maintenance. The difference is in the basic concept, Mac: object and graphics oriented; PC: text and business oriented. In a business environment, document file handling is somewhat more convenient on a PC. Vista is a mistake.

PCs require constant vigilance due to attacks. Macs zero.

Microsoft deliberately makes it as difficult as possible to use their products on a Mac, but everything in the Office Suite works fairly well, Entourage (Outlook) has problems with Exchange servers.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Oct 26, 2008
Ah, good. Lundberg appears to participate in the play. Do we need a forum search to find all of Lundberg’s posts about the trouble he has with his Mac? 🙂

Folks – you need to contact the forum host or forum operations to have all of your own Mac troubleshooting threads removed. Until then, they stand as a testament that you are not being entirely truthful in this thread.
DD
Diane Dusek
Oct 26, 2008
To Lundberg02: You mentioned something about Entourage having problems with Exchange servers. If I am using a personal email, that would not be the case, right? Also, I am just curious: in Microsoft Word on the PC I use the Autotext feature which, in turn, works in Outlook. Does Entourage also have that feature where I can type a word or two and it finishes the sentence (from Word’s autotext)?
B
Buko
Oct 26, 2008
Jim you are a troll.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 26, 2008
Joslin is entitled to his opinion, but he is wrong.

I am neutral!

I didn’t express an opinion I responded to Diane’s reasons.

Leaving aside the technical aspects (we aren’t all as Windows blind as Cindy! 😉 ) the over-riding factor for me was cost. Not just that Apple computers are in general more expensive and need more RAM but the cost of buying new versions of all the Windows software.
C
Cindy
Oct 26, 2008
we aren’t all as Windows blind as Cindy!

My opinion comes from personal experience. 🙂
GB
g_ballard
Oct 26, 2008
Vista has me stumped (I can’t tell what exact version I am running, but Welcome Center notes Business Service Pack 1)

I am sure my question is easy — I just want to determine what version of Explorer I am using.

Start> Right Click on Explorer> Properties (version is not noted in any of the tabs)

I also looked around an open Explorer Window with no success…
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 26, 2008
Gary

Right-click on "My Computer", then click Properties to see the Windows version.

Find C:\Windows\Explorer.exe, right-click and select Properties > Details for the version number.
GB
g_ballard
Oct 26, 2008
Find C:\Windows\Explorer.exe

Thanks, I don’t seem to have "Explorer.exe" there (C> Windows)

I do have an Explorer icon, but 2x opens up my User> Documents folder

+++++++

I can right click on Explorer browser icon in Taskbar and Start Menu, but Details do not show any version info.

I guess my question is how to tell what version of Explorer browser I am using?
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 26, 2008
Do you mean the dreaded Internet Explorer? That’s what the built-in browser is called. Most people I know use Firefox.

For Internet Explorer, double-click on the Internet explorer icon or go to "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE", start it and check Help > About for the version number.
L
Lundberg02
Oct 26, 2008
I believe Entourage has Autotext, but I never use Office 2004 for anything but opening files. Entourage requires the IT Admin for the Exchange server to be Mac savvy or you will never be able to use it for VPN access to an enterprise email Outlook setup, which is generally the case nowadays for security reasons. I have to use OWA because my enterprise people do not know how to configure for Mac even though they claim to have set it up, and I am far from the only one to have encountered the problem.
B
Buko
Oct 26, 2008
JJ I just want you to know how glad I am that you have chosen to hang out in the Mac forum. You are very helpful and give us an insight that we would not normally have on this side of the hallway. You contribute without being annoying.

thankyou
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 26, 2008
JJ is a very valuable contributor to the Photography Forum — and a damned good photographer too!

🙂

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections