PW
Posted By
pat wintemute
Dec 1, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m new to adobe and I have been trying to learn how to layer. I’m not sure where to get started and exactly how to do this. Can someone explain this in simple instructions.
I would really appreciate it……….thanks

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

C
CB
Dec 1, 2003
Create a layer by Alt>L + L then hitting enter. Make sure the layers pallet is on stage. Watch what happens in the layers pallet. Click on the layer you just added, the original layer is the background which most people use for background color. Click the eye in the layer pallet will turn a layer on and off. This is handy when saving a psd to a transparent gif (pronounced jif)

Practice adding layers and painting on them, pasting images on them, moving the layer around, selecting what’s on the layer by holding the Ctrl button then click on the active layer. The marching ants will march around the selected content on the layer.

That’s get ya started. Do a save as or a save to web to create .gif’s and ..jpgs

"pat wintemute" wrote in message
I’m new to adobe and I have been trying to learn how to layer. I’m not
sure
where to get started and exactly how to do this. Can someone explain this
in
simple instructions.

E
edjh
Dec 1, 2003
pat wintemute wrote:
I’m new to adobe and I have been trying to learn how to layer. I’m not sure where to get started and exactly how to do this. Can someone explain this in simple instructions.
Have you looked at the manual or Help files? It’s explained rather well there.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
B
broga
Dec 1, 2003
Ah yes – those were the days – I can remember when layers used to drive me nuts – some say I still am 🙂

In simple terms imagine a piece of white drawing paper stuck to the table. This is your background layer.

Take a sheet of glass or clear plastic and lay it over the paper – this is layer 1. Write your name on it

Take another sheet of glass or clear plastic and place it on top of the first – this is layer 2. Write your address on it.

It now appears that you have written your name and address on the paper, but you know that you haven’t. Your name is on layer 1 and your address is on layer 2.

And now the clever bit. You can move or alter anything on layer 1 without affecting layer2.

For example you can move your name on layer1 (the glass sheet in your case) to the bottom of the white sheet of paper and the address on sheet 2 to the top. – it doesn’t matter if the glass slides over the edges of the paper. Or for example you can throw sheet1 away and still have your address on layer2 etc.

Then you can add a third sheet – layer3 and draw a flower on it. Now you can put that flower anywhere you like simply by moving the sheet of glass (layer3) around on the paper etc etc.

So by using lots of layers with bits of your picture on each you can build up the final image one layer at a time – and if you make a mistake you can delete that layer and start on that bit again without affecting the rest of the pic.

www.micromountain.com
sure
where to get started and exactly how to do this. Can someone explain this
in
simple instructions.

TC
Tony Cooper
Dec 1, 2003
On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 20:59:48 -0500, "CB" wrote:

Create a layer by Alt>L + L then hitting enter. Make sure the layers pallet is on stage. Watch what happens in the layers pallet. Click on the layer you just added, the original layer is the background which most people use for background color. Click the eye in the layer pallet will turn a layer on and off. This is handy when saving a psd to a transparent gif (pronounced jif)
Practice adding layers and painting on them, pasting images on them, moving the layer around, selecting what’s on the layer by holding the Ctrl button then click on the active layer. The marching ants will march around the selected content on the layer.

Just so the poor guy doesn’t go looking for a straw mattress or a platform for moving materials with a fork lift: Photoshop uses palettes.
U
ued
Dec 4, 2003
Thank you, mom
🙂
ued

"broga" <ian’@(remove to e-mail)micromountain.com> wrote in message
Ah yes – those were the days – I can remember when layers used to drive me nuts – some say I still am 🙂

In simple terms imagine a piece of white drawing paper stuck to the table. This is your background layer.

Take a sheet of glass or clear plastic and lay it over the paper – this is layer 1. Write your name on it

Take another sheet of glass or clear plastic and place it on top of the first – this is layer 2. Write your address on it.

It now appears that you have written your name and address on the paper,
but
you know that you haven’t. Your name is on layer 1 and your address is on layer 2.

And now the clever bit. You can move or alter anything on layer 1 without affecting layer2.

For example you can move your name on layer1 (the glass sheet in your
case)
to the bottom of the white sheet of paper and the address on sheet 2 to
the
top. – it doesn’t matter if the glass slides over the edges of the paper. Or for example you can throw sheet1 away and still have your address on layer2 etc.

Then you can add a third sheet – layer3 and draw a flower on it. Now you can put that flower anywhere you like simply by moving the sheet of glass (layer3) around on the paper etc etc.

So by using lots of layers with bits of your picture on each you can build up the final image one layer at a time – and if you make a mistake you can delete that layer and start on that bit again without affecting the rest
of
the pic.

www.micromountain.com
sure
where to get started and exactly how to do this. Can someone explain
this
in
simple instructions.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections