Posted By
Lucky_Arthur
Dec 10, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Greetings,

As the Subject line shows, if you Create a New Layer, then go to Edit, then go to Fill, you get a window that allows you to select, among other things, either Black, 50% Gray, or White. But if I want a different fill value for Gray, such as 25% Gray or 75% Gray, I clearly can’t select these from the pop-up menu and I don’t know a work-around to do this. If anyone could help me with this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

Mitch

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JJ
John Joslin
Dec 10, 2006
Open the swatches palette: you will see 18 shades of grey between white and black.
LA
Lucky_Arthur
Dec 10, 2006
Wow, that was quick. Okay, I see the shades of gray but how do I get one of those shades to fill the new layer that I created?

Thanks.
LA
Lucky_Arthur
Dec 10, 2006
Wait, I think I just did it with the Paint Bucket Tool. Does that sound right?
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 10, 2006
That’ll do it 🙂
P
Phosphor
Dec 10, 2006
Paint Bucket is one way, but in all but a few cases (which I can’t even think of right now) it’s a clunky tool that offers little control.

An easier way, for such a simple task:

Choose a Foreground color, make your selection (…or not, if you want to fill an entire layer) and use the shortcut of ALT + Backspace [Delete]. CTRL + Backspace [Delete] fills with the Background color.
LA
Lucky_Arthur
Dec 10, 2006
Thanks to you both. I really appreciate your help.
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 10, 2006
Cheers Mitch

I thought if you had to ask, I’d give you the easiest way.

You want more methods?

(Anyhow the good old paint bucket (which I never use) does have some options in the bar up top.)
AB
Arnor Baldvinsson
Dec 11, 2006
Hi Mitch,

want a different fill value for Gray, such as 25% Gray or 75% Gray, I clearly can’t select these >from the pop-up menu and I don’t know a work-around to do this. If anyone could help me with >this I would greatly appreciate it.

From the "Use" dropdown, select "Color" and you get the color picker. If the RGB colors in the HTML (# at the bottom of the dialog box) color box are all the same, you have a gray color, ranging from #FFFFFF for white to #000000 for black. To pick with the color picker keep your picker at the leftmost edge of the color area. This way you can fill the layer with any gray color (or any other color of course) that you want.

Arnor Baldvinsson
San Antonio, Texas

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections