D
Posted By
dpick
May 3, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
For the second time my Help Center has disappeared (the first time I reloaded an Hard drive image to recover it). I click on it from inside PS or the stand alone icon and it loads but does not show up. It’s tab is in the taskbar, but when I click on it nothing happens. I use sounds for windows minimize and maximize, and I can hear but see nothing on screen. I have not loaded any programs–it just started doing it for no apparent reason.

I did get a Mozilla window (my default browser) saying, "Could not connect to remote server <http://cs2-helpcenter.adobe.com/es_hm.html>?" This window came up after clicking on the Adobe Help Center tab about 10 times.

This problem occurs with any user account on my computer, so I don’t it’s a settings issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JS
Jeffrey_Seidel
May 3, 2005
I’ve had this happen when I accidentally deny the Help Center’s request to access the Internet (actually all it seems to want to do is probe around locally for the most part) from my firewall (ZoneAlarm Pro). It is possible that Windows SP2 built-in firewall or your own personal firewall is causing the issue. You might have unintentionally denied help the access it needs to run properly.

Have you looked at this doc? <http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/330621.html>
D
dpick
May 3, 2005
Thanks Jeffery. I wondered about that, too. I tried disabling my firewall (I use Zone Alarm, too), but it didn’t help. After fiddling around with it on another user account, I got it started but now I get the message:

"Adobe Help Center is a free, downloadable application that provides access to product Help, Adobe Expert Support, and learning resources on Adobe.com.
To use product Help, you must have an Adobe product installed that includes Adobe Help Center."

Edit: When I opened the Help Center from inside PS, it worked. If I start Help Center with it’s own icon it doesn’t work. If I start Help Center inside Bridge it will work.
JS
Jeffrey_Seidel
May 3, 2005
Hmmm,
Possibly a corrupted file or registry entry. Mine starts right up from the Help Center icon and shortcuts. You might want to try a reinstall. If you go directly to the folder where the Help Center executable is located (default c:\program files\adobe\adobe help center\), can you start Help Center successfully by clicking on the ahc.exe icon located there? If so, then try creating a new shortcut and moving it to where you need it and deleting the old shortcut that fails.
D
dpick
May 3, 2005
Thanks again, Jeffrey. I tried your suggestion. Help Center will open, but I get the same error:

"Adobe Help Center is a free, downloadable application that provides access to product Help, Adobe Expert Support, and learning resources on Adobe.com. To use product Help, you must have an Adobe product installed that includes Adobe Help Center."

Like I stated earlier, this is the second time I’ve had this problem. The first time I tried a repair install, and it didn’t help. Then I loaded a HD image and reinstalled, and it forced me to immediately reactivate and the servers were down–not a pleasant experience. Hopefully one of the PS people might see this and gave a clue what I can delete to clear out the problem with a repair install.
JS
Jeffrey_Seidel
May 3, 2005
That is the message you get on the Help Center ‘home’ page. Help Center should have a box along the toolbar that says ‘Help for:’ and a selection dropdown box. Choose help for CS2 (or whatever Adobe products that have Help Center integration that you have installed) if that’s what you are trying to get to. Otherwise the remainder of Help Center seems geared towards those who have subscribed to Expert Support and web trouble submissions. It actually sounds like Help Center is working properly for you now.
FF
Frank_Feder
May 15, 2005
dpick,

See my post in this forum titled ‘Disappearing Help Center"

Frank Feder, "Disappearing Help Center" #, 15 May 2005 1:16 pm </cgi-bin/webx?50>

(I haven’t tried posting a link before. Hope it works.)

Frank
TS
Throckmorton_Scribblemonger
May 18, 2005
On win xp sp2 starting adobe help center causes the task-bar button to appear and the program is shown running in task manager, but no sign of it on screen. Right clicking the task-bar button and choosing maximize causes the program to fill the screen. When the program is maximized and restore is chosen from the task-bar button menu, the program disappears from the screen.

I can’t be certain, but i believe this problem did not exist the first time I ran CS2 (after installing the download trial) and I opened the help center from the CS2 help menu. Now the failure described occurs regardless of whether the help center is started from the windows start menu or from the CS2 menu.

–David Ellis

(Dell 8400 4.3GHz P4 2GB RAM)
TS
Throckmorton_Scribblemonger
May 18, 2005
It’s 3.4 GHz.
When I switched from one account to another on this standalone xp computer, then returned to the account in which the adobe help center was running I found the program on screen in its "restore" size, working normally.
–David Ellis

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections