LW
Posted By
Larry_Wilsone
Oct 1, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I want to line up 4 images side by side to form a horizontal website header that becomes one gif or jpg. Can this be done and how do you do it in photoshop 5.0

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

LW
Larry_Wilsone
Oct 1, 2003
Can you help me
LW
Larry_Wilsone
Oct 1, 2003
How do you insert a picture into a new file and save it as a jpg
LW
Larry_Wilsone
Oct 1, 2003
How do you do this
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 1, 2003
Patience. Someone who can answer will be along. I can’t help because it’s 5.0 which is older than dirt, and it sounds like you want slices – I’m a slices idiot. <shrug>
LW
Larry_Wilsone
Oct 1, 2003
wouldnt it work the same way as 6.0 or 7.0?
LW
Larry_Wilsone
Oct 1, 2003
Can this be done?
NB
Norbert_Bissinger
Oct 1, 2003
File New. Make the canvas as width as your four pictures together. drag each picture into the new canvas and align them how you want them.
C
CindySingleton
Oct 1, 2003
For this you can use PS5. To make it one image, go to file>new. Then specify the size and ppi you need creating a new canvas. Then go to your original 4 images, make sure they’re the same ppi and drag what you need to your new canvas. If they’re not the same, then you need to re-size your image. Arrange and free-transform the layers so they’re lined up the way you want, flatten, then you need only to make it web ready. You didn’t ask about blending, but there are lots of posts here that address that. Just go back a page or two and you’ll find them.
LW
Larry_Wilsone
Oct 1, 2003
I cant seem to drag the jpg into the canvas. When I put it over the new file it doesn’t do anything.
LW
Larry_Wilsone
Oct 1, 2003
How do you drag it to get on the canvas.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Oct 1, 2003
For a new line, hit "enter", not "post".
LW
Larry_Wilsone
Oct 1, 2003
How do you drag my image onto the canvas. It doesnt seem to work
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Oct 1, 2003
Larry,

In PS 7 I would do this:
Make a new canvas able to have all pictures in it.
Open the first image, and choose SELECT > ALL.
Choose EDIT > COPY.
Make the new canvas active and choose COPY > PASTE.
Select the move tool and drag the image to its final position in the canvas.

When THAT doesn’t seem to work, it only seems that way.

Rob
LW
Larry_Wilsone
Oct 1, 2003
Will that work in my 5.0 Photoshop
LW
Larry_Wilsone
Oct 1, 2003
How do I open the canvas?
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Oct 1, 2003
Usually I "open" the canvas by pulling up the zipper of my tent, have a good sleep, and wake up with a better idea then working at a pc for 24 hours a day.

Rob
MM
Margaret_McDowell
Oct 1, 2003
File>New
G
graffiti
Oct 1, 2003
This isn’t the time to start making sense Margaret. 🙂
PH
Photo_Help
Oct 1, 2003
Larry,

Assuming all 4 images are the same size.

Open one image in Photoshop.

Go to Image -> Canvas Size
Change the anchor to the far left of the second row by clicking that box. Also change the width units to pixels. Multiply the current width by 4 and enter that number for width.

Open the next image.
Select -> All (Ctrl+A)
Edit -> Copy (Ctrl+C)

Go back to your original image.
Edit -> Paste (Ctrl+V)
The second image should show up on its own layer (I think 5 created layers on paste). If it isn’t on it’s own layer go to edit -> Undo (Ctrl+Z) and make a new layer first the shortcut if it was available on 5 is (Shift+Ctrl+N).

Using the move tool (V) drag the image to the right of the first image.

Now repeat the copy an paste procedure for the other two images.

Once you are done you can save the file to a PSD if you want a master file with layers. To get a JPG go to Layer -> Flatten Image. Then go to File -> Save as and choose JPG. For four separate color images it is unlikely that you will want to save as a GIF since they only have 256 colors.
LW
Larry_Wilsone
Oct 2, 2003
Thank you photohelp!
LW
Larry_Wilsone
Oct 2, 2003
Thank You photohelp it worked, and those were very good instructions. Much appreciated.
LW
Larry_Wilsone
Oct 2, 2003
How do you "blend" the edges of images placed horizontaly next to eash other on a canvas to look like they blend into each other to form one jpeg with the blends in them? So the images look like they were smoothly connected to each other.
TH
Tina_Hayes
Oct 2, 2003
I don’t remember much about that old version.

In 7 I use the eraser tool set with a feathered brush to blend layers together.

Layer one…..erase the edge of the firt image so that it blends with layer two’s image etc. etc.

Be sure to use a feathered brush otherwise you’ll have hard horrid edges that don’t blend.

Also try using the multiply layer blending mode on each layer.

The help files and manual will tell you an awful lot about how to do things.
PH
Photo_Help
Oct 2, 2003
Larry,

Glad to hear they worked for you. The hardest part is remembering what features 5.0 had.

To blend the layers together the first thing you need to do is overlap the edges of the layers or else you will just be blending them into the background layer. I would use a layer mask for the blending, but I just don’t like the destructive nature of the eraser. If you erase too much and change your mind later you need to import that JPG again.

Here is a tutorial < http://www.webdesignhelper.co.uk/photoshop_tutorials/photosh op_tutorials/photoshop_tutorial39/photoshop_tutorial39.shtml>. Skip to step 3. You don’t need to use a gradient but if you do for the effect you want keep it close to the edge. Start where you want the image to begin fading and stop just before the edge. If you go beyond the edge with the gradient there will still be a hard edge it will just be less opaque. You can also use the brush tool with a soft brush on the mask, just like Tina suggested with the eraser. The only difference is that with the eraser you have to get it the way you want the first time or undo and try again. With a mask you can keep working using white to make the image opaque, black for transparent and grey for all the shades between all without harming the image.

If you don’t want to mess with layer masks the eraser tool will work fine (Hold down shift to erase in a straight line).

There are several ways to do just about anything you can think of in Photoshop. The key is to find the ones that work best for you. I just thought I would let you know about the other options you have available even if you aren’t ready to use them yet.

We all started out using the most basic features of Photoshop, but once you go back and start editing files again after a few months you tend to wish you had been less destructive with your edit. It can mean the difference between a 2 second change or starting over with the source files again.
PH
Photo_Help
Oct 2, 2003
Post from Shank Williams <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.2ccd9a5e>. I believe it was intended for this thread.

<http://www.myjanee.com/tuts/layermask/layermask.htm>
LW
Larry_Wilsone
Oct 3, 2003
Thank you once again for your help Photohelp. Very helpfull.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections