Help! Combining several images into one big jpeg image?

K
Posted By
kiki
Sep 21, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
HI all,

I have 3 pages scanned in PDF and I hope I can combine them into one big jpeg image and post it online on forums.

The goals are:

1. Three pages cancated into one page(the height of the image is 3x larger than a normal image);
2. Do some annotation on this big image;
3. Convert everything into JPEG image file and then post it online on forums…

The sniptool only allow no more than screen size capture.

Any convinient softwares that can fulfill the above requirement?

If I use a separate tool to combine the 3 pages into one big JPEG image, the sniptool does not allow opening a file to make annotations, that’s too bad…

———————

Currently I have the following software:

Acrobat Pro 7.0
Tablet PC XP Pro
Sniptool included when I buy the Tablet PC

I can also install the PHOTOSHOP, but I really hope there can be simple solutions and in very few mouseclicks instead of using the bulky photoshop… I don’t want to load PHOTOSHOP to my poor-configured small laptop…

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
RSD99
Sep 21, 2005
"kiki" wrote in message
HI all,

I have 3 pages scanned in PDF and I hope I can combine them into one big jpeg image and post it online on forums.

The goals are:

1. Three pages cancated into one page(the height of the image is 3x
larger
than a normal image);

If I use a separate tool to combine the 3 pages into one big JPEG image,
the
sniptool does not allow opening a file to make annotations, that’s too bad…

———————

Acrobat Pro 7.0
Tablet PC XP Pro

I can also install the PHOTOSHOP, but I really hope there can be simple solutions and in very few mouseclicks instead of using the bulky photoshop… I don’t want to load PHOTOSHOP to my poor-configured small laptop…

Post the PDF … making a mess out of a JPEG will be counterproductive.
N
noone
Sep 21, 2005
In article <1AaYe.12326$% says…
"kiki" wrote in message
HI all,

The goals are:

larger
than a normal image);

the

———————

Acrobat Pro 7.0
Tablet PC XP Pro

Definitely, keep the PDF. You might want to include the link to Adobe’s Acrobat Reader site, for those very few, who do not have it already. If Saved for the Web, I’ll bet that the PDF will be much smaller than a JPG, and far, far more legible, as well. Acrobat Pro 7 will allow you to make all the annotations that you want, and keeping the form as a PDF will allow you to link directly from it to any other documents – maybe your annotations?

Hunt
K
kiki
Sep 21, 2005
"RSD99" wrote in message
"kiki" wrote in message
HI all,

The goals are:

larger
than a normal image);

the

———————

Acrobat Pro 7.0
Tablet PC XP Pro

If you post a pdf onto a public forum. You want people to view. The jpeg version will be a natural way of presenting inside the browser; but a pdf, it will propmt a window asking if they want to download or open, etc. esp. if the browsers are not on Windows, but are on Linux, Unix, etc. They are going to be reluctant of viewing pdf…

My purpose was trying to post pdf(full of math equations) and discuss with those mathematicians over the Intnert forums…
R
RSD99
Sep 21, 2005
"kiki" wrote in message
"RSD99" wrote in message
"kiki" wrote in message
HI all,

I have 3 pages scanned in PDF and I hope I can combine them into one
big
jpeg image and post it online on forums.

The goals are:

larger
than a normal image);

If I use a separate tool to combine the 3 pages into one big JPEG
image,
the

———————

Acrobat Pro 7.0
Tablet PC XP Pro

I can also install the PHOTOSHOP, but I really hope there can be
simple
solutions and in very few mouseclicks instead of using the bulky photoshop… I don’t want to load PHOTOSHOP to my poor-configured
small
laptop…

If you post a pdf onto a public forum. You want people to view. The jpeg version will be a natural way of presenting inside the browser; but a
pdf,
it will propmt a window asking if they want to download or open, etc.
esp.
if the browsers are not on Windows, but are on Linux, Unix, etc. They
are
going to be reluctant of viewing pdf…

My purpose was trying to post pdf(full of math equations) and discuss
with
those mathematicians over the Intnert forums…

FWIW:
Probably well over 90% of the people that view "things" on the Internet already know about Acrobat (PDF) files, and have the Adobe Acrobat Reader software (or the full Acrobat program) installed on their computer(s) … and the other ten percent *should* have it. After all, The Acrobat Reader Software is well tested (well over a decade ‘in the field’), essentially a ‘standard,’ and completely and totally free. At this time *very* few users "are going to be reluctant of viewing pdf…"

For your application, making any kind of JPEG image is a bad idea. JPEG is a *destructive* compression algorithm that is designed for continuous tone, or **photographic** images, and it can do some very *not* *nice* things to images that have sharp edges, such as text images (or, in your case, mathematical equations).

Even more of a reason to use the PDF file(s) directly.
LI
Lorem Ipsum
Sep 21, 2005
"kiki" wrote in message

My purpose was trying to post pdf(full of math equations) and discuss with those mathematicians over the Intnert forums…

You’ve received a bunch of crap advice here. I think the protesters don’t realize that the original document isn’t vector, but raster and besides, compressed (‘optimized’) PDFs are JPEGs.

In any event, open Photoshop. File – New and make it as large as necessary to have all three pages concatenated (vertically, horizontally, whatever). Then in Photoshop open the PDF(s). Drag the image of choice into your New Document. Do the same for the rest. They will come in as separate layers. Drag them into the proper arrangement. Then save as .GIF (sharper that way).

If the PDF images are messy, then use Levels or Curves to drop out the background.

BTW – Unix, Linux, Mac, etc all have an Acrobat reader.
R
RSD99
Sep 21, 2005
"Lorem Ipsum" wrote in message
"kiki" wrote in message

with

You’ve received a bunch of crap advice here. I think the protesters don’t realize that the original document isn’t vector, but raster and besides, compressed (‘optimized’) PDFs are JPEGs.

In any event, open Photoshop. File – New and make it as large as
necessary
to have all three pages concatenated (vertically, horizontally,
whatever).
Then in Photoshop open the PDF(s). Drag the image of choice into your
New
Document. Do the same for the rest. They will come in as separate layers. Drag them into the proper arrangement. Then save as .GIF (sharper that
way).
If the PDF images are messy, then use Levels or Curves to drop out the background.

BTW – Unix, Linux, Mac, etc all have an Acrobat reader.

"Lorem Ipsum" posted:
"… I think the protesters don’t
realize that the original document isn’t vector, but raster and besides, compressed (‘optimized’) PDFs are JPEGs. …"

Wrong. Totally wrong.

You definitely need to investigate just exactly what a PDF file actually is. FWIW: The short answer is that the PDF file format is a (relatively minor) variation of the PostScript Page Description language, and its contents can be either vector or raster based.

The graphics format used inside any given PDF file will depend upon the original used to produce the PDF file. For text or mathematical equations, it will definitely *will* be either a typeface (as in a font, or TTF, or OpenType) which is a vector item, or a vector drawing format such as an Adobe Illustrator drawing or an Adobe InDesign page layout file. Most probably, a mathematics expression would be created by an equation editing program, such as MathType or Equation Magic, and most likely would be in a vector Encapsulated PostScript File (EPS or EPSF) format.

PhotoShop is *not* the program of choice for working with those kinds of illustrations. JPEG is also *not* the file format to use for document interchange.
G
ggull
Sep 21, 2005
"RSD99" wrote …
"Lorem Ipsum" wrote …
"kiki" wrote …

with
<snip>
<snip>
Wrong. Totally wrong.
<snip>
The graphics format used inside any given PDF file will depend upon the original used to produce the PDF file. For text or mathematical equations, it will definitely *will* be either a typeface <snip> Most probably, a mathematics expression would be created by an equation editing program, such as MathType or Equation Magic, and most likely would be in a vector Encapsulated PostScript File (EPS or EPSF) format.

OP specifically stated that these were SCANNED pages.
Unless his scan software does an OCR equivalent for mathematical layout, wouldn’t that be raster?

I’ve downloaded too many "PDF" documents that were just megabyte raster scans of pages that had a few hundred characters on plain white, encapsulated as pdf files.
R
Roberto
Sep 22, 2005
"RSD99" wrote

"Lorem Ipsum" posted:
"… I think the protesters don’t
realize that the original document isn’t vector, but raster and besides, compressed (‘optimized’) PDFs are JPEGs. …"

Wrong. Totally wrong.

You definitely need to investigate just exactly what a PDF file actually is. FWIW: The short answer is that the PDF file format is a (relatively minor) variation of the PostScript Page Description language, and its contents can be either vector or raster based.

You have not determined what his source file is. I presumed it was a raster image, thus my comment.
R
Roberto
Sep 22, 2005
"ggull" wrote

OP specifically stated that these were SCANNED pages.
Unless his scan software does an OCR equivalent for mathematical layout, wouldn’t that be raster?

Yes it would. Other than his "you had better learn" comment, RSD99’s information was good for others like himself who may have misunderstood the OP’s situation.

RSD – No problem. Good post.
N
noone
Sep 22, 2005
In article <dgs3co$k83$ says…
"RSD99" wrote in message
"kiki" wrote in message
HI all,

The goals are:

larger
than a normal image);

the

———————

Acrobat Pro 7.0
Tablet PC XP Pro

If you post a pdf onto a public forum. You want people to view. The jpeg version will be a natural way of presenting inside the browser; but a pdf, it will propmt a window asking if they want to download or open, etc. esp. if the browsers are not on Windows, but are on Linux, Unix, etc. They are going to be reluctant of viewing pdf…

Kiki,

All one has to do is create a link on the Web page to the PDF and it will automatically open, if they have Acrobat reader. Other than the header info on that browser window, they will not realize that they are looking at a PDF. On my UNIX system’s browser, PDF’s open with no hesitation (other than the request to "update" Acrobat!). Within the PDF, you can combine JPG and text, with seamless efficiency.

Hunt

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections