MM
Posted By
Mike_Morrell
Oct 20, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am running XP64 and have CS4-32 and CS4-64bit installed (using the updated and correct master collection installer)

CS4-32 is basically unusable to me because I cannot see what I am doing as changes are being made to layers. It does it does not display updates to a layer on the screen until I click on the photo. For example, I have a psd file with a background layer and a Gaussian blur layer. A layer mask was used to mask out portions of the blur. IF I simply click the eyeball off on the blur layer, I see no changes to the photo until I click inside the photo. Disabling/enabling the layer mask as the same issue.

If I use the brush tool to make adjustments to the mask, I can no longer see the mask in the layers pallet. The mask is displayed as tiny black and white dots and has no representation of my actual mask. As I brush changes onto the mask, I can see the effects in real time on the photo. But I still cannot see the normal B&W representation of the mask in the layers pallet. If I use the brush tool on the blur layer (not the mask), the photographic thumbnail representation normally displayed in the layer’s palette also turns into displaying tiny black and white dots.

What is causing this issue? Is it a setting that I can change or a bug?

The above issue(s) do NOT happen with CS4-XP64.

Upon startup in CS4-64, I get a GPU disabled message. in CS4-32, I do not. But in CS4-32, my CPU settings are dimmed out and openGL is NOT checked. I have the latest drivers for my video cards installed. In CS3, enable 3D acceleration is checked. IN AE CS3 and AE CS4, it lists that my openGL is 2.1.2 and all features of AE are supported. What open-GL version does PS-CS4 need?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BL
Bob Levine
Oct 20, 2008
All I can tell you is that XP64 is an unsupported operating system so you can’t technically call it a bug.

I don’t know many people running XP64 and I haven’t gotten the suite yet so I can’t even comment on Vista 64.

Bob
MM
Mike_Morrell
Oct 20, 2008
I don’t know many people running XP64 and I haven’t gotten the suite yet so I can’t even comment on Vista 64.

…and yet you do comment.
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 20, 2008
he’s commenting as someone with experience with a 64 bit os. he’s commenting as someone who knows that xp 64 is not supported (though we try to help when we can – see what kind of help you get if you call adobe and tell them you have xp64). and finally, bob’s commenting as the forum moderator.
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 20, 2008
oh yea, something helpful. don’t be rude. it turns people off. especially people who might be willing to help you solve your problem.
M
Mylenium
Oct 20, 2008
Peace, friends and colleagues! 😉 Mike, what graphics card do you use? 32bit not detecting it, but 64bit throwing a warning sounds suspicious and may point to an unsuitable driver. Your problems very much sound like the 32bit version is still using the hardware even if it doesn’t correctly detect it. Did you attempt the "Old GPU" registry hack I provided in another thread? (sorry for asking redundant questions, but I have somehow lost track of events on that end)

Mylenium
MM
Mike_Morrell
Oct 20, 2008
Mylenium, thank you for your insightful post. I am using Nvidia 7300 GT cards. I’ve got two cards in the PCI express slots and using the DVI out of each in stretched monitor mode. I am using the latest 64 bit drivers, dated October 2008, from Nvidia. If it is a Video driver issue, I would be willing to purcahse an updated video card with dual DVI out if anyone can verify that it works with CS4 and XP64.

I did not try the hack. I’ll search for the post and try it and post back. thank you.
BL
Bob Levine
Oct 20, 2008
Good luck with all that. With your attitude you’re going to need it.

Bob
MM
Mike_Morrell
Oct 20, 2008
Dave, if Mr. Lavine is commenting as the moderator of the forum, why doesn’t he state this in his post. I have no idea who these people are who are commenting. If someone is commenting as a moderator, as you suggest Dave, they should state this. And in no place does he state in the post that he has experience with 64bit OS’s. Where am I supposed to get all of this information from? All I see is a post from someone who does not own the product, does not mention that he is the moderator of the forum who tells me that my OS is unsupported even though the installer lets me install the program after obviously checking what my OS is.

Why does the installer not only allow me to install the program and yet recognizes that I have a 64 bit OS and installs the program as both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions? I realize that it is not "officially" supported and likely not as thoroughly tested as XP32. But if they did not want anyone to run the installer on XP64, they could have easily prevented it. Under LR2, for example, I had to go around the installer to load it on this machine. Only time will tell, but I’d bet that this issue is not limited to XP64.

Bob, "with my attitude"? Are you really the forum’s moderator, really? Does Adobe know that you are speaking on their behalf? Who has the bad attitude again?
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 20, 2008
you’re right mike. sorry.
MM
Mike_Morrell
Oct 20, 2008
Dave, no problem. Mylenium, I tried the hack and it indeed allows PS-CS4-32 to enable Open-GL support. But this has no effect on my issue of turning on and off layer visibility or mask visibility. Good idea though! I left the variable in my registry but I set it back to zero.
BL
Bob Levine
Oct 20, 2008
No…I was speaking as a user, just as your question was posted as a user. I saw it last night and left it alone but when I saw it today with no answers I thought you’d at least want to know what little I could offer. Apparently I was wrong.

Trust me, I won’t bother you with such trivial details again.

Bob
MA
Mark_A_Ensign
Oct 20, 2008
Ya I’m using vista 64 bit and when using the 32 bit version of photoshop the thumbnails don’t update nor the the image your working on update after making a correction. Pretty much unusable to me as well.
JD
Jacqui_Dervan
Oct 20, 2008
Mike,

Mr Levine frequently turns up in posts like this to remind us XP-64 users that our o/s’s are unsupported.

My CS4 design premium will arrive shortly and I will compare my findings along with those you report. Until then, I look forward to seeing how this plays out.

Jacqui
MM
Mike_Morrell
Oct 20, 2008
Thanks Mark, so this pretty much solidifies that it is a bug and it is not just because I am using XP64. The only reason why I want to use the 32 bit version is that all of my plug-ins are 32 bit, not 64 bit.

Thanks again Mark for checking your Vista 64. If you can, please submit a bug report. I’d submit one, but as it has been pointed out, XP64 is not supported.

I’m probably going to have to un-install PS-CS4 for now and just go back to using CS3. Once there are enough Vista 64 users who submit bug reports, Adobe will probably fix it in a point 01 release in a few months. After they do, it will probably be fixed for the XP64 users as well. Until then, I either go back to CS3 or wait for my plug-ins to work in PS-64.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 20, 2008
It may well be a bug, but being right about that isn’t going to get any help from Adobe on an unsupported OS.

Why on earth not invest in a supported OS?

If you are so contrary, then go along with those who plough the same furrow and share hacks with them.

My living depends on things working so I don’t feel like going out on an unsupported limb!

No sympathy from here.
CH
CR_Henderson
Oct 20, 2008
John Joslin: It may well be a bug, but being right about that isn’t going to get any help from Adobe on an unsupported OS.

And it may not be a bug–at least in Photoshop–it may be related to the age of his video card or the way in which new drivers interact with old cards. It’s a guess, but I would doubt that nVidia puts a lot of effort into squashing bugs that might appear with their new drivers when they are installed for use with older cards or on *relatively* unsupported OS’s such as XP64.

I have been using Vista Ultimate 64 exclusively for 6 months now and previously I used an nVidia 7600 OC video card with the system. I had very few problems with it in XP, but when I fresh installed VU64 I had numerous problems that weren’t solved by an update to the latest video drivers. They were relatively minor and I decided to ‘live’ with them.

With the impending release of PS CS4 in mind–I had already pre-ordered–I decided to update my video card. I reasoned that the problems with my 7600 would only increase under Photoshop. I went with the nVidia 9800GTX+. Before updating to the latest drivers, I did have a few problems–many of which have been reported in other threads, but none such as the original OP reported. However, they were all corrected with the latest drivers and PS CS4 runs smoothly on my system.
MM
Mike_Morrell
Oct 20, 2008
Who was asking for sympathy? I was only asking for help, which a few people were kind enough to provide. I see no reason for people to make posts on other people’s threads that do not offer any help. If you think that I am stupid for using an unsupported OS, then just don’t post and keep those feelings to yourself. How are posts like this constructive? I even stated in my last post that I knew that I was not going to get any help from Adobe. So why reiterate that? What is the purpose of your and these types of posts? I am as baffled by them as you apparently are about why I am using XP64.

But if you must know why I do not go to another OS, it is because back when I built this computer, XP64 was the only 64 bit OS around. I have this computer in a dual boot with XP PRo 32 bit and XP64. XP64 has, up to this point, been the most stable platform for me to run the adobe suite of products on. I can clearly say this since I have installed (and since deactivated) them on the same hardware under the XP32 boot. But XP64 has, again, been very stable. I have had many iterations of Adobe software on everything from Win 200 to several on XP and on Vista. And without a doubt this XP64 machine has been the most stable for what I do.

The other reason why I continue to use XP64 is because I cannot upgrade to Vista 64 without a totally new computer. The MB drivers have not been developed for Vista.

And lastly, 64 bit allows me to run more programs at once by utilizing more total memory, even with 32 bit applications. I could install the suite on my XP32 version of the same machine but I’d rather continue to use XP64 with CS3 than not having the stability and ability of running more applications simultaneously that I can with XP64.

So yea, my living depends on my software working correctly too and PS CS3 will work just as well today as it worked before I installed CS4. It is just not worth it for me to spend thousands of dollars on a new PC just so that I have say that my computer is run under a supported OS. As we have seen here, a supported OS is not a guarantee that the software does not have bugs in it. This issue will not affect my ability to make a living. It is only a minor inconvenience that will undoubtedly be fixed in time.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 20, 2008
Think of the future.
P
pr4photos
Oct 21, 2008
i have exactly the same problem!

i have tried it on two systems. an older system with an older card, and a brand new system with a high spec
both running xp, fully up to date, with sp3

i am finding it unusable because of the problems previously described. i don’t know what to do about it, and am glad i still have cs3 installed as its very frustrating

pr4photos
———————————————————— ———— pr4photos’s Profile: http://nettechguide.com/forums/member.php?u=617 View this thread: http://nettechguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2248266
OP
Oleg_Pichugin
Oct 21, 2008
Mike Morrell: try just move ALL plugins from 32bit version. One of them kill CS4-32bit (menu dont’s work, and also paint canvas is not updates… one of Nik’s software plugin) on my Vista x64.
MM
Mike_Morrell
Oct 21, 2008
Oleg, thanks, I’ll try this as I have NIK plugins installed. The bug may be with them.
S
sjprg
Oct 21, 2008
Does anyone have a suggested ATI video card for VU64 that has the GPU acceleration and dual monitor output?
MM
Mike_Morrell
Oct 21, 2008
sjprg, you might want to look here first if you have not already. This is what pops up when I start CS4. It does not have suggested cards. But it does list some know issues with some cards.

< http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb 404898>

I am especially fond of: "Windows XP 64 – OpenGL is not supported on Windows XP 64 because XP 64-bit drivers aren’t written to support this technology"

Next, you can look here for what Adobe says about some tested cards: < http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb 405711&sliceId=1>
RP
Russell_Proulx
Oct 22, 2008
Hi Mike,

I’m using CS4 on Vists64, Asus P5E WS-Pro mobo, 8G DDR2 (cheapie) RAM and an inexpensive ATI 2400 HD videoCard and am trying your test.

I opened a 34mb image in CS4-64 bit, converted it to a ‘Smart Object’, added a Gaussean Blur ‘Smart’ filter, filled the filter mask w/black and then painted white in areas of the image where I want the blur to appear and it all works fine here. It’s all happening in real time and the eye toggle works as expected without any need to click on the image.

I’ve tested this with CS4-64 and CS4-32 with and without enabling OpenGL and in all 4 cases it works fine.

Russell
MM
Mike_Morrell
Oct 22, 2008
Russell, I think that we have determined that the issue is with a 3rd party plug-in, not with CS4. Please see above for more information. I am sorry that you had to go to all of the trouble to test, but thank you!
RP
Russell_Proulx
Oct 22, 2008
I think that we have determined that the issue is with a 3rd party plug-in,

That’s good news 🙂

Russell
P
pr4photos
Oct 22, 2008
still no resolution to the layers problem?

pr4photos
———————————————————— ———— pr4photos’s Profile: http://nettechguide.com/forums/member.php?u=617 View this thread: http://nettechguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2248266
P
pr4photos
Oct 22, 2008
solved it myself!!!

uninstalled ps4 and removed directories. then re-installed and all is working fine

pr4photos
P
pr4photos
Oct 24, 2008
no. it went wrong again

pr4photos

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections