Posted By
Robert Schuldenfrei
Apr 15, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi NG,

This Fall I am going to teach a beginning class on PSE, using rel. 5.0. I am pretty well set on what I am going to teach the students, but I would like to gain a deeper understanding of how PSE works. Could anyone recommend a book, article, or website where I could glean some insight on how PSE does its magic. I am particularly interested in color (H/S/L) modifications. I am not afraid of slogging through technical articles, as I have lots of time to prepare. This is NOT stuff I am going to teach, but if someone asks a question I would like to know what is really going on in the program.

Most all of my knowledge of PSE (since rel. 2.0) has come from the Adobe manuals, the Help screens, and books by Philip Andrews, Barry Beckham, Rob Sheppard, and Jeff Wignall. I have spent a fair amount of time experimenting by treating PSE as a "black box." For example, I make a color "test strip" with changes to hue and saturation and see what happens. What I really want to know is how the program works in an attempt to move beyond the "hunt and peck" approach. It is easier to do this with a program like PSE than it once was in the chemical darkroom. Did a little mixing of my own chemicals, back in the day, but that is as far as it went. I was no chemist and all I was doing is following a Kodak recipe book. I am a programmer, so I feel I could understand a hypothetical book that might have the title "Photoshop Elements 5.0 Internals."

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

F
Fishface
Apr 15, 2007
Robert Schuldenfrei wrote:
I am a programmer, so I feel I could understand a hypothetical book that might have the title "Photoshop Elements 5.0 Internals."

There is some very good information here on general image processing: http://www.efg2.com/Lab/index.html
S
sharpgenie
Apr 16, 2007
On Apr 15, 7:43 am, "Robert Schuldenfrei"
wrote:
Hi NG,

This Fall I am going to teach a beginning class on PSE, using rel. 5.0. I am pretty well set on what I am going to teach the students, but I would like to gain a deeper understanding of how PSE works. Could anyone recommend a book, article, or website where I could glean some insight on how PSE does its magic. I am particularly interested in color (H/S/L) modifications. I am not afraid of slogging through technical articles, as I have lots of time to prepare. This is NOT stuff I am going to teach, but if someone asks a question I would like to know what is really going on in the program.

Most all of my knowledge of PSE (since rel. 2.0) has come from the Adobe manuals, the Help screens, and books by Philip Andrews, Barry Beckham, Rob Sheppard, and Jeff Wignall. I have spent a fair amount of time experimenting by treating PSE as a "black box." For example, I make a color "test strip" with changes to hue and saturation and see what happens. What I really want to know is how the program works in an attempt to move beyond the "hunt and peck" approach. It is easier to do this with a program like PSE than it once was in the chemical darkroom. Did a little mixing of my own chemicals, back in the day, but that is as far as it went. I was no chemist and all I was doing is following a Kodak recipe book. I am a programmer, so I feel I could understand a hypothetical book that might have the title "Photoshop Elements 5.0 Internals."

Thanks in advance,

Bob

I have a book titled "The Photoshop Elements 5 book for digital photographers by Scott Kelby. "

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections