Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have used PSE 4.0 since it came out.

Any good reasons to upgrade to 5.0???

Thanks..

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

M
MrB
Nov 15, 2006
Run the free trial. I’m using it now. I am disappointed in the loss of the shortcut icons on the toolbar for Save, Open, New. Now that they are gone, you have to do File|Open, etc. I used to use those shortcuts a lot. The version 5 has a nice look, but that isn’t enough reason for me to change. I will probably stick with 4 because of the shortcuts.

"DA" wrote in message

Thanks..
DA
Donald Allen
Nov 15, 2006
Yes, I have the ‘trial’ version of 5.0. I don’t like the fact that they took
away the icons too. Really used those a lot. I was hoping that they could be put somewhere but I could not figure out how to get them to come up.
Thanks for your reply.
I guess I will keep 4.0 too.

Thanks.

"MrB" wrote in message
Run the free trial. I’m using it now. I am disappointed in the loss of the shortcut icons on the toolbar for Save, Open, New. Now that they are gone, you have to do File|Open, etc. I used to use those shortcuts a lot. The version 5 has a nice look, but that isn’t enough reason for me to change. I will probably stick with 4 because of the shortcuts.

"DA" wrote in message

Thanks..

F
Fishface
Nov 15, 2006
I have version 3. I never use any of those toolbar buttons. I always hated that I couldn’t get rid of the toolbar because it took- up valuable space in the vertical direction and prevented me from having more of the picture I was editing on the screen. A picture is worth a thousand words, but why do they use a thousand words when they only need one?
B
Burt
Dec 5, 2006
"Fishface" <?> wrote in message
I have version 3. I never use any of those toolbar buttons. I always hated that I couldn’t get rid of the toolbar because it took- up valuable space in the vertical direction and prevented me from having more of the picture I was editing on the screen. A picture is worth a thousand words, but why do they use a thousand words when they only need one?
I bought PSE4 and installed it. In addition, I have PSE2 and PSE3. Except for the maddening out of control scrolling that occurs when cropping an image in PSE3 I prefer 3 to 4. 4 no longer has the browse screen and it requires that you use PSE4’s cataloging system to store and relocate photos. Having come through from the original DOS days with the first IBM PC’s I am very comfortable storing my files in subdirectories with names meaningful to me. When I started using PSE4 my catalog file became corrupted and I couldn’t access photos easily. At that point I decided to stay with PSE3. The new tricks in the upgrade were not interesting enough to bother with 4 as far as I am concerned. I get everything I need out of 3 and won’t even consider 5.
F
Fishface
Dec 6, 2006
Burt wrote:
I bought PSE4 and installed it. In addition, I have PSE2 and PSE3. Except for the maddening out of control scrolling that occurs when cropping an image in PSE3 I prefer 3 to 4.

I hadn’t noticed that. I guess I don’t crop much. I do use the free JPEGCrops to choose my crop for 4 x 6, occasionally.
http://ekot.dk/programmer/JPEGCrops/

4 no longer has the browse screen and it requires that you use PSE4’s cataloging system to store and relocate photos. Having come through from the original DOS days with the first IBM PC’s I am very comfortable storing my files in subdirectories with names meaningful to me.

I guess I never used that, either! I just store my photos in folders by the date I took them off the camera. I browse with Irfanview, and have assigned the <ctrl>+e "edit" combination to PSE3. IrfanView even does thumbnails, and quickly. I have no need for the organizer whatsoever, and I certainly don’t want the Adobe Downloader popping-up when I insert media of any type.

When I started using PSE4 my catalog file became corrupted and I couldn’t access photos easily. At that point I decided to stay with PSE3. The new tricks in the upgrade were not interesting enough to bother with 4 as far as I am concerned. I get everything I need out of 3 and won’t even consider 5.

Ouch. I actually downloaded the PSE5 Tryout over the weekend. 471 MB, holy crap! First of all, it wouldn’t install on Windows 2000. Then it doesn’t like my Athlon XP because it doesn’t have SSE2 instructions. I finally got it installed on another system that I didn’t really want it on after first imaging the drive . It took a long time to install, and this system has a Pentium M at 2.4 GHz, which is pretty fast.

I was intrigued by the Straighten tool, since I seem to take a lot of crooked pictures. It’s fast and it works well. You need to hold down the control key to do vertical. The Magic Extractor tool didn’t work well enough for me to ever want to use it again. Dialog boxes couldn’t deal with my large fonts, which have been around since Windows 95– twelve years. I’m afraid the upgrade just may not be compelling enough.
T
tkloth
Jan 17, 2007
The Undo and Redo (Step back/Step Forward) buttons are also gone in 5.0. I really miss thoes.

Tim K
"MrB" wrote in message

"DA" wrote in message

Thanks..

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections