Posted By
xntrick
Jul 28, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello all,
i have a question regarding quality. My digital camera captures jpgs, then i import into pse4. PSE4 in return offers to fix the redeyes, and saves the pictures in a stack, with the most recent having the word "edited" in the name. I have read on the web that saving and resaving jpgs we loose quality. My question is: Is there a way to tell pse4 to automatically save the adjustments in psd format? so from there onwards we will work on the psd files with less loss in quality. Another question: pse4 saves into jpg adding the word edited to the original filename when i choose autofix. When i go to quick or standard edit ,then when i save it asks me about quality etc. Can i skip this step, and maybe just click save, and will automatically create a file with the edited word in the filename, drop to the pictures browser again? Is there a shortcut? I there a default setting?

Thanks for listening.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RG
Roy G
Jul 28, 2006
"xntrick" wrote in message
Hello all,
i have a question regarding quality. My digital camera captures jpgs, then i import into pse4. PSE4 in return offers to fix the redeyes, and saves the pictures in a stack, with the most recent having the word "edited" in the name. I have read on the web that saving and resaving jpgs we loose quality. My question is: Is there a way to tell pse4 to automatically save the adjustments in psd format? so from there onwards we will work on the psd files with less loss in quality. Another question: pse4 saves into jpg adding the word edited to the original filename when i choose autofix. When i go to quick or standard edit ,then when i save it asks me about quality etc. Can i skip this step, and maybe just click save, and will automatically create a file with the edited word in the filename, drop to the pictures browser again? Is there a shortcut? I there a default setting?

Thanks for listening.

Hi.

Import your files into Elements, and before doing anything got to "File" then "Save As" and choose PSd as the file type in the drop down list.

You can still use the same name as the camera gave the file, because it will have a different Icon.

Do your editing on a Copy of the PSD, add "-1" to its title, so that if you make a muck of it, you can go back and restart on another copy.

I do not recommend you use Auto Fix, it is much better to select what needs doing, and doing it for yourself

Roy G.
X
xntrick
Jul 29, 2006
Thanks Roy for the info,but I was looking for a way to automate a bit pse4.

Roy G wrote:
"xntrick" wrote in message
Hello all,

Thanks for listening.

Hi.

Import your files into Elements, and before doing anything got to "File" then "Save As" and choose PSd as the file type in the drop down list.
You can still use the same name as the camera gave the file, because it will have a different Icon.

Do your editing on a Copy of the PSD, add "-1" to its title, so that if you make a muck of it, you can go back and restart on another copy.
I do not recommend you use Auto Fix, it is much better to select what needs doing, and doing it for yourself

Roy G.
J
jor
Aug 1, 2006
Hi.

Roy G.
So Roy, if I understand correctly, your workflow method would result in at least two files for every photo, xyz.jpg and xyz1.psd? Thanks. jor
RG
Roy G
Aug 5, 2006
"jor" wrote in message
Hi.

Roy G.
So Roy, if I understand correctly, your workflow method would result in at least two files for every photo, xyz.jpg and xyz1.psd? Thanks. jor

Hi.

No.

I would have 2 files DSC 1149, a NEF file, and after conversion, DSC 1149, a Psd file. The NEF is used as my archive File, since it is only 5Mb.

I would start my Editing on a copy of the Psd, which would be DSC 1149-1.

If and when I produce my exhibition print it would be called PRINT XXX, and saved, its file info would include DSC 1149 as the source.

I would at that point produce an A4 Jpeg copy called Print XXX. Both would be printed.

You will notice that DSC 1149-1 Psd has vanished, and eventually DSC 1149 psd may also get lost.

The PRINT XXX PSD file would be added to one or two of my PRINT Archive discs.

The A4 Jpeg file would be added onto my A4 print discs.

Since the poster does not work in RAW his Archive copy would have to be the Jpeg straight out of the camera.

Roy G

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections