RU
Posted By
Rick_Upp
May 28, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, I have Windows XP (SP2) on the home computer and I have the kids set up as limited users, so they can’t mess the system up. However, I do want the older two to have access to PSE. Unfortunately, when they try to run it, PSE displays a dialog box saying something like "You are a Limited User on this system so you will have limited rights." Click ok and it looks like PSE is loading, but them there’s an error saying it can’t load the catalog correctly. Is there a way for me to give these "Limited Users" the ability to run PSE? I’d hate to give them full rights to the system just so they can run this application. Thoughts?

–Rick

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JR
Jared_Robinson
May 28, 2005
Disclaimer: I haven’t tried this. The general principles apply, but the specifics may vary. I don’t have Elements 3.0.

Look at the folders in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe. You’ll probably want to give your kids’s accounts read, write and/or Full Control access to these folders, or the files in them.

If you’re running XP Home Edition, you’ll have to use a command line utility like SetACL, cacls or xcacls to give accounts access to certain directories. If you want an easier route, boot XP in Safe Mode (by pressing F8 during startup) and then you can add permissions just like in XP Professional (below), but you’ll have to boot into normal mode to allow people to log in again.
<http://setacl.sourceforge.net/>

If you’re using XP Professional, it’s easier. You can right-click on a folder, select properties, and select the security tab. You’ll add the accounts, and give them read, write or perhaps full-control.

Should that fail to work, try giving the accounts more access to the install directory in c:\Program Files\<install dir>

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections