BM
Posted By
Bob_MacGregor
Dec 11, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Anyone buy the combo package (one box)? Will the Elements 2 part work on Win98se?

I know Album2 won’t work on Windows 98se, but (standalone) Elements2 will. The box implies (through ommission) that neither will work on win98se. I got a great deal on it and I’ll be happy (for now) if only PSE works, but I’m afraid to break the seal and be unable to return it if Adobe has it all on one CD or something that will prevent the PSE part from running on Win98se. With PSE v2 working, I can probably find a copy of the trial Album v1 to use until I upgrade PC’s.

Thanks! Seems like a great forum!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BG
Byron_Gale
Dec 11, 2003
Bob,

I see it as extremely unlikely that Adobe would have developed a XP-only of Elements, labelled it version 2.0, and sold it at a discount in a bundle.

My 2ยข says that they HAD to mark the box the way they did in order to ensure nobody running 98 would buy it with the expectation that the entire package would run for them.

Of course, I could be completely off-target.

Byron
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 11, 2003
I’m quite sure there are a number of people on the forum using PSE 2 on Win 98. I think Chuck was one of them until pretty recently, wasn’t he?
BG
Byron_Gale
Dec 11, 2003
Beth,

Adobe is currently selling a single box with BOTH Photoshop Album 2.0, and PSE 2.0 inside.

Album 2.0 does not run under Win98 (whereas 1.0 did).

My take on Bob’s question was that he wondered whether the PSE in that box was able to run under 98, even though the box is not so marked.

Apologies if I’m interpreting your response incorrectly!!

Byron
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 11, 2003
yes he had se version but we know that Album2 definietly wont work with se.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 11, 2003
he said he got a great deal but if only half works ( pe2) he may as well return it and just buy pe2 that has many deals going on right now.
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 12, 2003
I didn’t phrase it right. I was saying I was pretty sure the Elements 2 part would work on Win 98. I knew from another thread the Album 2 portion wouldn’t. Sorry for any confusion.
BM
Bob_MacGregor
Dec 12, 2003
Wow! Thanks one and all for responding so quickly! Yes, Byron, your take on my question was exactly right. I agree with you that the PSE2 should work. I’m probably worrying too much, but maybe they put it on one CD to save costs and it won’t install properly without XP? I won’t open it until Christmas. Unless I hear otherwise before then, I’ll take the small risk that it won’t run.

The deal at Amazon right now for the bundle is $107 with $50 in unconditional rebates and no shipping charge. I also used a $10.00 coupon that I’d lose if I returned it. For me, the problem with buying PSE2 alone is that the $30 rebate is only for an upgrade. It’s $82 at Amazon. Unless someone knows of a much better deal, I’m better off with the bundle for a net of $47 and tossing Album.

— Bob
BG
Byron_Gale
Dec 12, 2003
Bob,

That sounds like a great deal, given your specific situation.

Don’t "toss" Album, though… One day you may end up running XP. (I’m also a Win98SE fossil, but I’m actually about 49% convinced that I should go ahead and upgrade)

Byron
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 12, 2003
Byron, I did the upgrade to XP home, and there’s no looking back! Actually, the event that triggered my switch was the release of Album 2.0, which I downloaded and subsequently forgot about…oh, well….

Chuck
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 12, 2003
Hey, Chuck, I lost my addressbook data and I don’t have your e- anymore. Could you e-mail me at bbATfloridaharp.com, please? Thanks.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 12, 2003
Barbara, the e-mail is on its way – kept getting your new address wrong (senior moment)

Chuck
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 12, 2003
Hi, Chuck. No, it was okay–I have a couple of different ones for different avatars.

Thanks.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 12, 2003
Barbara….I had to look up ‘avatar’…..

๐Ÿ™‚
BM
Bob_MacGregor
Dec 12, 2003
I probably won’t upgrade to XP and instead earmark the $90 toward a new PC with XP. I’ll make use of Album 2.0 at that point. No way I’d really throw it out — I’ve still got pre-Windows software! In fact, I think I’ve still got some pre-DOS software (CPM)!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections