BD
Posted By
Bob_Driscoll
May 7, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I use PSE3 to catalog by still photos, as well as my AVI files used in Adobe Premiere Elements 1.0. I keep stills(jpeg) in one catalog and the video clips in another. After I am done editing my movie (DVD) I back up the files(avi). I also back up regularly my still photos on to CD’s. What I’m not sure of is where I am backing up the catalog pointers?

The beauty of using PSE3 for backing up my AVI files is I can go in the PSE3 browser, select a clip and it will tell me which DVD I backed it up on and request me to put it in my drive. My concern is if my computer fails on me, and I have to rebuild (or get a new one), how do I restore PSE3 to have the same pointers?

I’m not sure I’m explaining this well enough… hopefully I am.

Bob D

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CW
Colin_Walls
May 7, 2005
I am unsure of the default locations, but your catalogs are .PSA files under Docs&Settings somewhere. You can check by just doing File/Catalog/Open and see which folder you are in. Save those files and you’re safe.
BD
Bob_Driscoll
May 7, 2005
Thanks! I see them. I’m surprised they aren’t backed up right along with the rest of the files.

So, just to test my methods… Let’s say I back these up and sometime after my hard drive crashes. When I restore the hard drive, install PSE3, do I just place these files back in the correct folder/path and it will be able to find all the files?

Bob D
CW
Colin_Walls
May 7, 2005
I’m surprised they aren’t backed up right along with the rest of the files

Well, that depends upon how you do your backup …

do I just place these files back in the correct folder/path and it will be able to find all the files?

Yes. Just keep the pathnames the same.
O
o3v3tz
May 7, 2005
Bob,

There are probably some terminology differences in this discussion.

I’m surprised they aren’t backed up right along with the rest of the files

You used the term backup Backup but I think that you are using a means for backup that is different from the PSE Backup command. The PSE backup command does include writing file(s) for restoring the Catalog to the backup media. However, I am not suggesting that you must use the PSE Backup command. Your current process sounds ok as long as you also make copies of each of your catalogs for the purpose of backup.

My clue was

The beauty of using PSE3 for backing up my AVI files is I can go in the PSE3 browser, select a clip and it will tell me which DVD I backed it up on and request me to put it in my drive.

which makes me suspect that you either
1- wrote the AVI files to the DVD outside of Photoshop Elements and then imported these AVI files to PS Elements checking the box to keep them offine – OR _
2- used the PS Elements Archive function to Burn to DVD and MOVE (in PS Elements terminology) these AVI files to the DVD and then track them in PSE 3 from the DVD location

In either case you probably have a disc icon (looks like a CD or DVD disc) superimposed on top of the thumbnail in the Photo Brower.

What I’m not sure of is where I am backing up the catalog pointers?

Your scheme for the AVI files sounds good to me as long as you add the step of copying the .psa files as Colin referenced.

By the way, I have Premiere Elements but have not started to use it yet. So I am curious as to whether you did method 1 or method 2 that I guessed above or whether it was something entirely different? Also curious how big your AVI files are and thus if 1 AVI file requires multiple DVDs?

Thanks for sharing your information.

Barb Olson
BD
Bob_Driscoll
May 8, 2005
Thanks Barb.

The method you describe in #1 and #2 is what I use. I do a "get Photos" and catalog them in a videos catalog. Once there I can tag them. When I’m done with my project I do a "backup" and the selection in the dialog box I select "copy/move" and follow the instructions. The result is a disc icon, once backed up (moved). I will now remember to back up the PSA files, as well. It does get tricky when recalling a clip (avi) because I think I selected "move" to restore it on my hard drive. This worked out fine, but PSE3 browser uncataloged it so that clip couldn’t be found offline. I now know to use a "copy" command!

As far as space needed. A 20 minute video (AVI) takes about 4GB. So my 1 hour projects(I keep them about 1 hour – give or take a few minutes) takes about 3 DVD’s to back up. I have a number of Hi8 movies I am digitizing. Some people back up the AVI’s back to tape, but I like the capability to recall a DVD for a clip and create a new project. One of my ideas is to do a compilation of Christmas scenes from over the years, once I am finished. I can do the same thing for Birthdays or anything else I have tagged appropriately.

Premiere Elements is great but does take some time to learn. The forum for Premiere has some great people in it, as well. Some samples Of what I’ve done can be found here along with some others (go to the parent directory).
<http://www.chuckengels.com/PremierVideo/BobD/>

Bob D

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections