R
Posted By
RicSeyler
Oct 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Anyone using a USB external HDD backup packages (USB HDD & BU Software bundle) for
customer files and system backup? If so is there a preferred package/BU software among the group?
Iomega USB unit, Seagate USB unit, Maxxtor USB unit?

ANy advise on what would be needed (S/W wise) for making an exact copy on my existing HDD.
Where if I had a HDD failure and had to replace the HDD so that I could just load and
keep going?

Thanks.

Ric Seyler

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

S
Stephan
Oct 22, 2004
RicSeyler wrote:
Anyone using a USB external HDD backup packages (USB HDD & BU Software bundle) for
customer files and system backup? If so is there a preferred package/BU software among the group?

ANy advise on what would be needed (S/W wise) for making an exact copy on my existing HDD.
Where if I had a HDD failure and had to replace the HDD so that I could just load and
keep going?
Acronis True Image works as promised and creates bootable copies even on Cd unlike the pathetic Norton Gosht requirering prehistorical floppies (remember floppy disks?)

Stephan
H
Hecate
Oct 23, 2004
On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 16:39:05 -0500, RicSeyler
wrote:

I use Maxtor firewire drives, but they have USB 2 connections as well. No problems at all, but the included software (Dantz Retrospect) is crap. Instead, I use a shareware app called Second Copy which is excellent (www.centered.com)

keep going?
Acronis True Image is the only one worth having as it will do it all from the OS.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
R
RicSeyler
Oct 25, 2004
Thanks again Hecate! You’ve been most helpful
with this and the Camera question.
(now I’m torn between the G6 and the Cool Pix 8700 LOL)
Still leaning to the G6, (G6 – better battery life and somewhat quicker from the reviews I’ve read, but the pics from the 8700 just a tad better)
Prices are similar $449 for the G6, and $498 for the 8700 _________________________________________________

Maxtor has a new One Touch II out.
I’m going to call their TechSupport to see if the supplied S/W will do a (what Acronis calls "bare metal restore") which I take is a complete back up of your whole system,
i.e. can put in another HDD and load your complete system back.

I’m hoping they will give me an honest answer..

My other option is getting a 160gb One Touch I and also get the Acronis True Image software.. If the One Touch II won’t do the real "bare metal restore" I think this is my best bet.. Agree?

Ric Seyler
H
Hecate
Oct 26, 2004
On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 12:53:13 -0500, RicSeyler
wrote:

Thanks again Hecate! You’ve been most helpful
with this and the Camera question.
(now I’m torn between the G6 and the Cool Pix 8700 LOL)
Still leaning to the G6, (G6 – better battery life and somewhat quicker from the reviews I’ve read, but the pics from the 8700 just a tad better)
Prices are similar $449 for the G6, and $498 for the 8700 _________________________________________________

Glad I could help. Shared experience is what makes newsgroups fun 🙂

Maxtor has a new One Touch II out.
I’m going to call their TechSupport to see if the supplied S/W will do a (what Acronis calls "bare metal restore") which I take is a complete back up of your whole system,
i.e. can put in another HDD and load your complete system back.

No, it won’t. The included software is Dantz Retrospect which is back up software and not very good at that. Furthermore, it’s a cut down version with important things missing and they want you to pay a fair chunk of cash to upgrade to a proper working version.

I’m hoping they will give me an honest answer..

My other option is getting a 160gb One Touch I and also get the Acronis True Image software.. If the One Touch II won’t do the real "bare metal restore" I think this is my best bet.. Agree?

Yes. And while you’re at it get yourself a copy of Second Copy (www.centered.com). It will allow you extremely flexible back up solutions, works well and doesn’t have a large footprint or eat much memory. It will back up in the background whilst you’re working.

Them, what you do is install Acronis, make a complete system back up (i.e. an image file ) and then use SC to make copies of all your important files. If something goes wrong and you need to reformat, you reinstall using Acronis, then recover all your working files, data files etc using SC. I’ve only had to do that once, on a test machine (so it wasn’t forced, just because I was testing some stuff out) and restoring a complete working system plus all data files took me a couple of hours 🙂

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
R
RicSeyler
Oct 26, 2004
Thanks again Hec, that’s the course I’m taking.

Hecate wrote:

Yes. And while you’re at it get yourself a copy of Second Copy (www.centered.com). It will allow you extremely flexible back up solutions, works well and doesn’t have a large footprint or eat much memory. It will back up in the background whilst you’re working.
Them, what you do is install Acronis, make a complete system back up (i.e. an image file ) and then use SC to make copies of all your important files. If something goes wrong and you need to reformat, you reinstall using Acronis, then recover all your working files, data files etc using SC. I’ve only had to do that once, on a test machine (so it wasn’t forced, just because I was testing some stuff out) and restoring a complete working system plus all data files took me a couple of hours 🙂

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui

Ric Seyler

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections