Mike Russell
Dec 31, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Qu

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

S
SpaceGirl
Dec 31, 2004
Mike Russell wrote:
Québec wrote:

Hi to everyone,

Is it posible to use a usb disk (250Megs) as a scratch disk with photoshop 6?

USB2 will work, but USB 1 is too slow to use as a scratch disk. —

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net

I would imagine even USB 2 would be too slow? Really need firewire if you want to do that, and I’m not sure if there are firewire memory sticks, are there?

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

# lead designer @ http://www.dhnewmedia.com #
# remove NO SPAM to email, or use form on website #
N
nomail
Dec 31, 2004
SpaceGirl wrote:

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net

I would imagine even USB 2 would be too slow? Really need firewire if you want to do that, and I’m not sure if there are firewire memory sticks, are there?

I believe that the (lack of) speed of the flash memory itself is the limiting factor. USB 2.0 and FireWire are both fast enough, but flash memory isn’t.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
B
Boskey
Dec 31, 2004
"Qu
C
Corey
Dec 31, 2004
"Johan W. Elzenga" wrote in message
SpaceGirl wrote:

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net

I believe that the (lack of) speed of the flash memory itself is the limiting factor. USB 2.0 and FireWire are both fast enough, but flash memory isn’t.
What is the real difference in speed from writing to external RAM–the Flash sticks, or to Virtual Memory–the hard drive? It seems writing to the hard drive isn’t all that fast either. And what about those using external hard drives that are connected by FireWire or USB 2? Anybody doing that successfully?

Peadge 🙂
T
toby
Dec 31, 2004
Other reasons why this is a bad idea include reliability. If the connection is broken for any reason you will likely lose your Photoshop session.
M
Mikey
Jan 1, 2005
On 2004-12-31 14:54:38 -0500, "toby" said:

Other reasons why this is a bad idea include reliability. If the connection is broken for any reason you will likely lose your Photoshop session.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but those forever-quoted USB top speeds are for isochronous pipes, which are not used for data storage and retrieval. Read: it’s way slower.

"It’s beyond my ken… and my Barbie, and all of my action figures."

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections