R
Posted By
rsmithfamily
Jul 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m working with a rather large file in ver 7, and when I try to scale down the resolution I get an error message that states the scratch disks are full. Is that a setting in Photoshop that I can change and allocate more space to, or is that a windows setting that needs to be altered?

thanks,

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

GA
Gabriel_Ayala
Jul 23, 2004
You need to specify where you scratch disk is under the preferences. If your scratch disk is on your primary volume and it’s nearly full, you need to set a directory on another hard disk as your scratch disk.

Note: Having your scratch disk on the same volume as where the program is installed may cause slower performance.
R
rsmithfamily
Jul 23, 2004
Gabriel,

So, when I go into the preferences and select "Plug-Ins and Scratch Disks", under the First section it says Starup. Then under 2nd, 3rd and 4th there’s nothing. But I only have one hard drive on the desk top. Would changing the 1st slot to "C:\" make a difference? Or should I get a 2nd hard drive, more memory….?

thanks
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 23, 2004
But I only have one hard drive on the desk top.

then you need to empty out some space from your c: drive. delete temp files and any unneeded programs.

yes a new hard drive is the ultimate solution. great big honkin’ drives are dirt cheap right now… (for example, tiger direct has 160 gig western digitals for 89 bux!)

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections