Posted By
ruppies
Dec 7, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
CS3 – Lightroom – iView Pro?

I am in desperate need of doing some major file maintainance – i.e. getting caught up on ratings, keywords ect..

From a workflow stand point I’m trying to decide the best way to
proceed. I shot raw digitals with a D200 and want to assign proper ITCP info to the original raw file so that it follows whatever file I later create. Maybe I’m missing something but the workflow Adobe Bridge to some cataloging programs seems messy.

Currently as I understand it the steps envolved are lenghty. I don’t understand why CS2 will not let you assign keywords etc to raw files and wonder if that will change with CS3. It appears you can do this with Lightroom thus avoiding the need to convert everything to DNG. What I don’t like about Lightroom has to do with assigning keywords. It seems that it would be easier to check box keywords in whole or within a keyword set to assign to the file. Example: Keyword set Animals > Mammals > cat > brown cat – where checking cat would assign all the keywords up the keyword set or allow me to select just the keywords I want. Seems like this would save a lot of time. If I understand iView Media correctly you can do this.

I don’t want to invest a lot of time in building this information in Adobe Bridge sidecar files if there is soon to be an easier way to do this.

THE REAL QUESTION – if you were starting from scratch on this project would you wait for CS3 (second qtr 2007) – wait for Lightroom (?) — wait for iView Media (new release Jan 07?) –

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JM
John McWilliams
Dec 7, 2006
ruppies wrote:
CS3 – Lightroom – iView Pro?

I am in desperate need of doing some major file maintainance – i.e. getting caught up on ratings, keywords ect..

From a workflow stand point I’m trying to decide the best way to
proceed. I shot raw digitals with a D200 and want to assign proper ITCP info to the original raw file so that it follows whatever file I later create. Maybe I’m missing something but the workflow Adobe Bridge to some cataloging programs seems messy.

Currently as I understand it the steps envolved are lenghty. I don’t understand why CS2 will not let you assign keywords etc to raw files and wonder if that will change with CS3. It appears you can do this with Lightroom thus avoiding the need to convert everything to DNG. What I don’t like about Lightroom has to do with assigning keywords. It seems that it would be easier to check box keywords in whole or within a keyword set to assign to the file. Example: Keyword set Animals > Mammals > cat > brown cat – where checking cat would assign all the keywords up the keyword set or allow me to select just the keywords I want. Seems like this would save a lot of time. If I understand iView Media correctly you can do this.

I don’t want to invest a lot of time in building this information in Adobe Bridge sidecar files if there is soon to be an easier way to do this.

THE REAL QUESTION – if you were starting from scratch on this project would you wait for CS3 (second qtr 2007) – wait for Lightroom (?) — wait for iView Media (new release Jan 07?) –

I am starting from scratch right now, and using Lightroom. My understanding is the sidecar files will be fully readable/useable in Adobe Bridge, which I will also get, when CSIII is out.

I have no desire to put animals or plants in rank, specie, phylum or whatever. If I want a picture of a flower, I’ll search "flower", so my needs are somewhat different from yours apparently. My photos tend to have disparate labels, such as "Yosemite", "waterfalls", "Kimberly", and
"vacation", for example. But I am early enough into this to be able to change….

John McWilliams

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections