Posted By
Louise_Parrish
Dec 23, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
G5 1.8 dual (OSX10.4.8)
I have the beta of CS3 and it works fine on OSX10.4.8. Yesterday I dd a backup of my HD and then checked the backup – tried to open CS3 and get the message "could not initialize photoshop because the disk is not available". Can anyone explain this. I posted this on the CS3 Forum but got no answer. Thank you.

Louise Parrish

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

R
Ram
Dec 23, 2006
Louise,

Actually, I did leave two replies to your post over there, as follows:

1)

It means that it can’t find the appropiate path, probably the path to your Applications folder or your Scratch Disk, because it’s on a different drive now.

2)

Louise,

With all due respect, and you know I like you from my responses to your posts in the Adobe Photoshop Macintosh forum, you should NOT be running a beta version. Really. Beta versions are not for everybody. That’s why the release notes tell you not to expect any support for the beta.

Your best bet is to uninstall CS3. Hope you don’t feel offended.
R
Ram
Dec 23, 2006
Adobe’s intent in releasing this major public beta was "to get the beta build into the hands of hard-core Photoshop users" (Adobe’s terminology) who are in a position to give feedback to Adobe, not the other way around.
R
Ram
Dec 23, 2006
This is not a trial demo version. There will be a free 30-day trial version for evaluation by the general public when the final version of CS3 ships.

All beta versions are fraught with peril. Stuff can happen to your OS install. Beta versions are a far cry from demo or trial versions. The difference between a beta version and a trial version is humongous.
LP
Louise_Parrish
Dec 23, 2006
Ramon

Thank you for your responses, I do not feel offended at all. I respect you and find your knowledge outstanding, therefore I shall remove it from my HD. Thank you again.

Louise Parrish
R
Ram
Dec 23, 2006
Thank you, Louise. I’m much relieved.

You should also known that there are two known bugs in the beta (among many, many others) that will drastically affect your work:

One is a bug that degrades images when resizing them in Photoshop CS3 beta, primarily when downsampling. For this reason, anyone who needs to resize images professionally should stay away from the beta for paid work.

The other one has to do with a substantial memory leak in Bridge 2 beta that can bring your system to its knees unless you quit and reboot Bridge 2 beta often.

In all, it’s a wonderful program that will be great in its final release. One thing that distresses me is the location of a barely visible x on the upper right-hand side of the palettes that closes the palettes and is way to close to the dropdown menus, so that I often find myself accidentally closing palettes and cussing up a storm. 🙁
LP
Louise_Parrish
Dec 23, 2006
Ramon

Thank you for the additional information, I have already uninstalled it and did a new backup. Cab’t wait for the final version. Again thank you.

Louise
L
Larryr544
Dec 23, 2006
Another apparent bug at least it’s happening to me. All of my jpg’s and psd’s have been set to open by default with CS3. When I do a get info, change it to CS2 and hit ‘change all’ it goes back to CS3. Anyone else?

So out of Bridge I have to drag photos to CS2 rather than double clicking on them.
B
Buko
Dec 24, 2006
:Larry if you have CS2 open and you double click it will open in CS2.

BTW it an OSX thing files will open in the newest version installed
B
Bernie
Dec 24, 2006
Just now tried this.

Turned off PS 10 and Bridge 2.
Opened Bridge 1.0.4.
Changed file type associations in preferences.
No problems.
R
Ram
Dec 24, 2006
Larry,

That’s a known issue.

Here’s the solution, as per the FAQ:

———————————————————— #1438317: Mac/Win: CS2 version of Bridge/Photoshop launching CS3 versions ———————————————————— Workaround:
1) Quit all versions of Photoshop and Bridge
2) Mac: Delete the /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Launch/ photoshop/10.0/ folder on your Desktop
Win: Delete the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Launch \photoshop\10.0 folder on your Desktop
3) Mac: Delete the /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Launch/bridge/ 2.0/ folder on your Desktop
Win: Delete the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Launch\bridge \2.0 folder on your Desktop

—————————————————-
—————————————————-

EVERYBODY running the CS3 beta should read the CS3 FAQs on this page < http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/categories.cfm? forumid=72&catid=626&entercat=y>.
R
Ram
Dec 24, 2006
———————————————————– #1443660: Mac/Win: Uninstalling CS3 removes the photoshop-9.jsx file and breaks CS2 Photoshop/Bridge interactions
———————————————————— Workaround:
a) Re-install CS2
or
b) Recover the photoshop-9.jsx file from a previous backup and place here:
Mac: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/StartupScripts
Win: \Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\StartupScripts
B
Bernie
Dec 24, 2006
Just as a point of interest, the photoshop-9.jsx file was never removed or overwritten on my computer after the beta install.
J
JW1000
Dec 24, 2006
CS3 runs very well for the vast majority of people. I wouldn’t dream of uninstalling such a fabulous piece of software.
L
Larryr544
Dec 24, 2006
Thanks Ramon that’s what I needed. CS2 being open wasn’t cutting it.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections