BD
Posted By
Bob_Driscoll
May 12, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Since my last incremental backup I have used Premiere Elements 1.0 for videos. I have created another catalog in PSE3 to catalog them. So, in essence, I have in PSE3 one catalog for still photos and one catalog for videos.

I do a copy/move files operation to back up my video clips for archiving purposes. The final step in the PSE3 process for this is to delete the clips from my hard drive. This is all working well. But now it’s time to do an incremental backup of my still photos in the still photos catalog.

The problem I seem to be running into is that when I have the still photo catalog open and launch the photo browser it asks if I want to backup. I respond YES. I walk through the buttons. The first one stating it will "copy the current open catalog…". I walk through the steps to the point it asks for the last backup disk to determine where it left off (I guess). THE ISSUE I have is that when it is ready to back up it says I have 2,914.00MB to backup!!! There is no way for an incremental backup I have this many pictures to backup. I can only assume it is grabbing my unbackedup video clips. Is there anything I can do to be sure it only grabs the files in a particular catalog?

Bob D

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CW
Colin Walls
May 12, 2005
You said:

I do a copy/move files operation to back up my video clips for archiving purposes

But then you go on to talk about using the Backup facility. These are quite different beasts. Copy/move will just save the images, not the catalog, and you get to choose exactly which ones are written to CD. So there is no question of "incremental backup".

Are you wanting to do a backup [keep originals on the hard drive but save a copy] or archive [move the images]?

I think that what you are seeing is Organizer wanting to backup all you pictures, as it doesn’t think you have done a backup before.

To answer you last question, when you have a catalog open, Organizer does not operate on any other catalog at all. It doesn’t even know how many catalogs you have or where they are.
BD
Bob_Driscoll
May 12, 2005
Thanks Colin.

Yes I do a copy/move to archive the video files as I archive them project by project and store them accordingly. I now also copy the catalog files (PSA) separately.

If it truly is not including my video catalog for backups, then I agree with you that for some reason it is trying to back up my complete still photo catalog. I’m not sure why it is doing this though. It asks for my last backup disk so that it can determine how much space it needs. I’m going to assume it is a bug for now and proceed to do a complete back up again.

Thanks,

Bob D
T
tom2977
Jun 4, 2005
I think I have a similar problem. I also had it in Photoshop Album 2 and hoped the bug had been fixed in Elements 3 but alas… If I try to do an incremental backup, it asks me to put in one disk from previous backup. However it does not read the tly file. I did a full backup when I upgraded. Unfortunately a full backup is now 12GB so I’m a bit fed up if I have to do another full backup. I have tried copying the tly file from my CD to the hard drive and it is still not being read. Occassionally it has worked if I keep retrying. The tly file is not corrupt as I can open it with notepad. Unfortunately I got on so much better with Album 1 in this respect (much better backup routine).
I can;t find much on the web about it but this is a real problem. I’d love some help!
Tom A

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections