RH
Posted By
Richard_H_Paul
Apr 27, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am trying to cleam up my hard drive. I chose to move all of my picture files (including some MOV files) to DVD+RW media. I completed the move with no problem. When I chose to remove the files from the hard drive, however, I ran into a glitch. One of the MOV files couldn’t be located, the process was stalled and now I have about 1/4 of the original files still on the hard drive. I want to keep the thumbnails in the PE3 Organizer but I still want to delete the files from the hard drive. For approx. 3/4 of the Organizer / Catalog thumbnails, there is a little gold disc in the upper left hand corner. For the remainder, the disc is missing and the files remain on the hard drive.

Is there some easy way to manually delete the files while keeping the thumbnails to show where they have been moved?

rp

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

O
o3v3tz
Apr 27, 2005
Is there some easy way to manually delete the files while keeping the thumbnails to show where they have been moved?

Since for the remainder you said the disc icon is missing, I suspect that Elements is not treating these files as moved even though they might have been written to the disc. So no, you can not just delete the files.

If you look at the Properties window for one of these without the disc, what does it show as the Folder name ? Is it still the original hard drive location folder name? If yes, then I think that you will need to redo the File > Burn > Move for these files without the disc symbol and burn them again to a different DVD in order to do the process of removing them from the hard drive while still keeping them in the Elements catalog.

At the same time, I suggest that you check the Properties box for a few photo and video files that do have the disc icon to check on their folder path name – just for validation because your Burn task did not complete normally. Or you could use View > Arrangement > Folder Location to look at the photo and video files grouped by folders as known by the Elements catalog.

I suggest that you do a RECONNECT of all files before you do the Burn, Move of the files without the disc icon. Hard drive space available for temporary files is also a big factor in successfully completing the Burn > Move process and creating the proxies that exist for offline files.

Barb Olson

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections