KB
Posted By
Kristen_Buchmann
Jun 26, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have searched through all of the posts and have not been able to find anything on this topic. If I missed it, I’m very sorry and would appreciate if someone would point me to the post.

I had created several actions while using Photoshop CS3 beta. It expired without warning, and I need to save the actions I created so that I can uninstsall the program before reinstalling it. I cannot find the actions in any of the program’s folders (including "Presets.") I know that the typical way to get to the actions is to export them from the Photoshop CS3 program. Now that it expired, I have no way of doing that. 🙁

Does anyone know what folder contains the actions or if there is any way to get to them?

Thanks so much!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

FN
Fred_Nirque
Jun 27, 2007
Some possibilities, depending on how they were installed:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS3\Required

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS3\Presets\Actions

C:\Documents and Settings\*User Name*\Application Data\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS3\Presets\Actions
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Jun 27, 2007
Or, if you didn’t save the action sets you created, they will be contained in a file named "Actions Palette.psp" in C:\Documents and Settings\[Username]\Application Data\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS3\Adobe Photoshop CS3 Settings. Note that "Application Data" is a hidden directory, so you will need to enable viewing of hidden files and directories in Windows Explorer’s Tools > Folder Options > View dialog to go there. By the way, this file does not get destroyed when you uninstall or reinstall. Accordingly, if you buy the program, you will be able to continue using the actions you created but didn’t save.
DR
Danny_Raphael
Jun 28, 2007
re: \Adobe Photoshop CS3\Adobe Photoshop CS3 Settings\ActionsPalette.psp

Good info on this file. It’s a snapshot of the Actions Palette and written at each PS shutdown. PS uses this file to populate the Actions Palette on the next startup.

Once you find this file, do the following (X = your working version of PS, e.g. CS or whatever):

1. Rename (click on file name, right-click, choose Rename from menu)

\Adobe Photoshop X Settings\ActionsPalette.psp

….to…

\Adobe Photoshop X Settings\ActionsPaletteFromPSX.psp

=====
2. Copy (ctrl + drag) ActionsPalette.psp

….from…

\Adobe Photoshop CS3 Settings

….to…

\Adobe Photoshop X Settings

=====
3. Open your working version of PS. The Actions Palette will be populated with the CS3 actions (via ActionsPalette.psp).

=====
4. Save the Action Sets created in CS3 as .atn files via "Save Actions…" command.

=====
5. Shutdown PS.

=====
6. Delete ActionsPalette.psp

….from…

\Adobe Photoshop X Settings

=====
7. Rename

\Adobe Photoshop X Settings\ActionsPaletteFromPSX.psp

….to…

\Adobe Photoshop X Settings\ActionsPalette.psp

=====
8. Open your working version of PS again. The Actions Palette will be populated with the PS X actions.

=====
9. Load the CS3 .atn files into the Actions Palette via "Load Actions…" command.

=====
You should be set. Hope this helps.
T
TLL
Jun 28, 2007
Or, try a search in Win Explorer for *.atn – that’ll find ’em. Then copy and past to where ever…
KB
Kristen_Buchmann
Jun 28, 2007
Wow! You are all quite helpful! I will definitely try these steps and ask if I have questions. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your knowledge.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Jun 29, 2007
TLL – your fix will work if the actions were saved to disk as .atn files. If they are only in the actions palette, not saved as .atn files, the rigamarole in #3 (or something similar) is necessary to create the .atn files.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections