DP
Posted By
Dan Powers
Sep 11, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am trying to get actions from a Mac to a PC.
Both versions of software are the same, but PS on the PC prompts "the file is not compatable with this version of PS"
The Mac user exported the action as PC compatable.
Why the hell after 15+ years can we not get things from Mac to PC???

Anybody know how to make this work?

Thanks,
Dan

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

I
icurate
Sep 11, 2003
What version (versions) of Photoshop are on the 2 computers?
DP
Dan Powers
Sep 11, 2003

7.01 on both
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 11, 2003
The only thing I can think of, is that perhaps the action contains things like File|Open and File|Save (As) that embed file structure commands in the action which may cause a conflict. I’ve never used a Mac Action file, but if you want to post the action somewhere, we have both Mac and PC guys visiting this forum regularly and I would take a look at it and am sure that others would try it as well.

That’s all I can think of…

By the way, I don’t know how you can export the action as PC compatable; I wasn’t aware of an option to do that, uless he’s just adding the three character ATN to the end of the file name to be consistent with PC naming protocol.

Peace,
Tony
DP
Dan Powers
Sep 11, 2003
Thanks. I have put everything that was on the disk at this location. The action in question "cartoon" did not have an extension so I added it.
www.palstudios.com/PS
Thanks again, & Let me know if you find anything.

Dan
DP
Dan Powers
Sep 11, 2003
You know I just noticed that the two desktop files were over a meg each… I am used to seeing those kind of extra files on mac disks, but those are quite large. I wonder if one of those needs to be used in some way…
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 11, 2003
Dan,

It’s a droplet, not an action. Rename it to .EXE and it should work.

Peace,
Tony
DP
Dan Powers
Sep 11, 2003
Really? Which one?

And Thanks!!

I assume a droplet is an icon you drag an image onto for processing?

Dan
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 11, 2003
Cartoon.ATN should be Cartoon.EXE. A droplet is a small executable that you can drop a folder or a file onto, and the actions contained in the droplet run. It’s a way of selecting files that you want to process without necessarily having to process an entire folder.

I have no idea what the other files are – I only paid attention to the one with the ATN file. You might ask your colleague – they’re odd because of the two char extension, so I didn’t mess with them.

Peace,
Tony
DP
Dan Powers
Sep 11, 2003
You da man!

Thanks Tony

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections