M
Posted By
mnmagic
Apr 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Sorry if this is not the right place for this question…

Work just gave me a copy of PS 5.5 upgrade they were no longer using so I went to upgrade my 5.0. But now when I try and launch it, I get a beta copy expired message. I have checked the box, the manuals, and install cd for 5.5 and nothing about it says it is a beta version. Any ideas? I havn’t bothered to call tech support since the program is old. Any help would be appreciated. I have search everywhere for an answer.

Shawn

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ram
Apr 4, 2004
What’s the serial number? If it’s a beta copy, you’ll find a B somewhere after PSÂ…
B
Buko
Apr 4, 2004
I thought a B in the number ment it was part of a bundle.
B
Buko
Apr 4, 2004
I would call customer support.
M
mnmagic
Apr 4, 2004
Since it is an upgrade it has no serial number. You need to have a preinstalled version and enter a serial number from the previous version. And there is no b in that. Thanks for the quick replies so far.

Shawn
R
Ram
Apr 4, 2004
Upgrades come with serial numbers too! You need both the serial number from the previous version and the serial number of the upgrade. At least that was the case with my Photoshop 7 upgrade. It asked me for both the old one (in my case it was Photoshop 5) and the 24-digit one that came with the upgrade.
R
Ram
Apr 4, 2004
Buko,

I thought a B in the number ment it was part of a bundle.

I think you’re right. I was thinking of Y, but Y means it was part of a collection.
IL
Ian_Lyons
Apr 4, 2004
Ramon,

It asked me for both the old one (in my case it was Photoshop 5) and the 24-digit one that came with the upgrade.

That was because PS7 used a completely new SN scheme. With versions prior to PS7 you just used your old serial number as the upgrade came without one.
R
Ram
Apr 4, 2004
Ian,

Thanks for the clarification.
NK
Neil_Keller
Apr 5, 2004
Shawn,

I don’t think that your office has done you any favors here. From what I understand, some notes:

a) they can’t just give you software without a transfer of license
b) if you had no beta flag before, then they gave you a beta
c) the beta is probably illegal

I suggest that you trash what you now have, including preferences, reinstall your original v5 and upgrade (legitimately) from there.

Neil
M
mnmagic
Apr 5, 2004
Neil,

Thanks for your post. As far as I can tell licenses are transferable and since they no longer use photoshop I don’t see a conflict there. Although I will have to see what they did with the version of PS they upgraded to 5.5 with. That may be an problem. As for the beta issue I am just getting use to setting the date back. I will keep looking for the answer but I got too much to do to focus on this right now.

Thanks
shawn
M
MarkATS
Apr 5, 2004
You probably have a beta serial number… Get the proper serial number and you should be fine.
M
mnmagic
Apr 6, 2004
Thats my lesson to be learned I guess. I just tore apart my software drawer and realized I was entering a tryout or beta number from a later copy I chose to not buy (no money). Thanks for your help. I put my real number in and it works like it should.

thanks
shawn

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections