Posted By
Shaz_M
Mar 4, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi

I was wondering if someone could help me. I own Adobe Photoshop 3.0 Deluxe Edition for Macintosh. It does not have a registration card, however in the Getting Started guide it says the following:

“If you’re installing Adobe Photoshop for the first time, the serial number is located on the Read Me first card, on the first page of the Adobe Photoshop User Guide, and on the back of the Adobe Photoshop Program Disk.”

As the first two options don’t apply to me, I’ve looked at the back of the CD. I see a code in the form of ADOBE-3-XXXXX (SPACE) XX (SPACE) XX at the back of the CD which need to be inverted by a mirror in order to read properly. I’ve entered this code numerous times but the program keeps saying ‘An invalid serial number has been entered’.

I know that this software is antiquated, but it would be fantastic to get this software up and running – any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JD
John_Danek
Mar 4, 2009
That’s probably the product number. I remember PS3 and the serial number started with three cap letters with a stream of numbers, then a hyphen and 3 numbers. No need to read anything backwards or using a mirror. Someone is taking you for a ride.
R
Ram
Mar 4, 2009
What version of the OS are you running and on what model of Mac? Can you run Classic? No way you’re going to be able to install that prehistoric version of Photoshop on OS X.
SM
Shaz_M
Mar 4, 2009
Thanks for the replies. Oh dear, looks like I may not be able to use the software then. I’m running Mac OS 9 in an emulator (Sheepshaver) which is running on Win XP. The software loads great, it’s just the the serial that needs sorted out. Strange that being the product number, it seemed to match with the Getting Started guide.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Mar 4, 2009
You might as well look for freeware image editors as Photoshop 3 was so feature deficient by the advent of OS9.

If you really want to run Photoshop, I’d look for a more recent release. The last version of Photoshop to work in SheepShaver (OS9.0.4) should be version 6 (I run 5.5 myself). Version 7 required OS9.1.

In addition to Photoshop, the following image editors work in SheepShaver (OS9.0.4):

* xRes 2
* Painter 3.1
* Corel Photo-Paint 8 LE

I think I picked up all of these for free on magazine coverdiscs. You might find them downloadable somewhere as well.
B
Buko
Mar 4, 2009
three cap letters with a stream of numbers, then a hyphen and 3 numbers.

Photoshop 2.5.1 thru 6 had this format it totaled 17 digits.
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 5, 2009
Adobe Photoshop 3.0 Deluxe Edition for Macintosh (and Adobe Illustrator
5.5)

Or is this Adobe Photo Deluxe 3.0 — a long discontinued junior product? You haven’t said where you acquired this software, but there could be questions about its legitimacy — there is a lot of bogus software in the secondary markets. New software has a vehicle for product registration; older Adobe software was typically by postcard, fax or telephone response.

Older serial numbers were typically 3 letters followed by 3 digits, 1 letter, 7 digits, hyphen, and 3 digits. In addition, Adobe serial number, while typically in small to very small type, are never backwards requiring a mirror to view.

I may not be able to use the software then. I’m running Mac OS 9 in an emulator (Sheepshaver) which is running on Win XP.

Possibly, there may be a problem with the accuracy of the emulator software.

Neil
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Mar 5, 2009
The number Shaz sees is apparently the disc imprint serial number (not the user serial #) to indicate in what batch it was manufactured.

Possibly, there may be a problem with the accuracy of the emulator software.

Sheepshaver is pretty solid. Older Adobe apps run well in it. If we are discussing ‘Adobe PhotoDeluxe Home Edition 3’ then that should run okay in Sheepshaver as well.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 5, 2009
Did Photoshop 3 actually ship on a CD?
It might have been on floppies — with the serial number on the first diskette?
B
Buko
Mar 5, 2009
PS3 was on both Diskettes and CDs
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 5, 2009
I couldn’t find my copy among my CDs so I guessed that I had a floppies version and all of those are stuffed in a box in the attic.

I think that any reference to the S/N being on the back of the disk must have refered to the Floppies version — S/Ns have never been provided directly on the CDs.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Mar 5, 2009
I think that any reference to the S/N being on the back of the disk must have refered to the Floppies version

Shaz is not looking at a floppy disk when they refer to ‘at the back of the CD’. The confusion is over the production batch number on the CD media, which is different than the user license serial number. These are different numbers. Unless the white serial number sticker was applied by the user to the CD, the CD will not have the program’s serial number.

Example image: OMR-014 < http://stommel.tamu.edu/~baum/boots/MISC/BEATLES/MFSL/ABBEY_ ROAD_MFSL_BOOT/Actual_CD.jpg>
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 5, 2009
I KNOW that Shaz is referring to the back of a CD.

But the Guide to which she referred, mentioned S/Ns being on the "back of Disks" and they have never been there on Adobe CDs … as far as I can recall.
SM
Shaz_M
Mar 5, 2009
Hi Everyone

Firstly, thanks for all your help – I do appreciate it. I purchased the software from a shop quite a while back. I got Adobe Photoshop 5.5 and Adobe Illustrator 5.5 both complete and boxed (CD versions). I assumed the serials would be with the documentation, but after looking through it there was no reference to a number. I guess from the forum posts it seems the serials must have been removed beforehand, leaving me with useless copies of great software. Is there anything that can be done short of just learning from the documentation?

Thanks
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 5, 2009
Is there anything that can be done short of just learning from the documentation?

I am afraid that you were "had" by that shop — and that those programs’ S/Ns had already been registered to someone else and used a s part of an Upgrade Path.

It is not going to be worth your time bothering with that old documentation — you would probably do much better to buy one of the excellent third-party books about the current CS4 versions.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Mar 5, 2009
How did we jump from "Adobe Photoshop 3.0 (Mac)" to "Adobe Photoshop 5.5"?

Is there anything that can be done short of just learning from the documentation?

Scrap the idea of using Sheepshaver for learning. The only reason any of us use it is to run a vintage operating system to open vintage documents that do not fare well in more modern apps.

If you want to learn photo editing (graphics), you would do much better to run GIMP (gimp.org) natively on your XP machine (or purchase a more modern version of Photoshop). GIMP, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. run on both Windows and Mac (with the versions appropriate to the respective systems). There is no need to be jumping through hoops to run an old emulated system. Free, GPL graphic software available today is better than the commercial software you are trying to run in OS9.
R
Ram
Mar 5, 2009
Shaz,

Just one word if you’re strapped for cash: GIMP.
SM
Shaz_M
Mar 5, 2009
My mistake, it’s Photoshop 3.0 and I will try those alternatives. Thanks again.
NT
Nini Tj
Mar 6, 2009
As far as I remember, once upon a time the serial actually was printed (or a sticker glued to) on a loose piece of paper which you also used for registering the software (by snailmail, no internet-registering at the time) and if you sent it in and not copied it, the serial was gone. Serial has also in the early years sometimes been glued on to the tip-sheet that then used to accompany the software. So if tipsheet is gone, no serial.
MG
Mike_Geiger
Mar 7, 2009
Shaz

If I remember, after you install v3.0, there might be an up date for v3.0.1.

Mike
SM
Shaz_M
Mar 7, 2009
Hi Mike

Okay, I’ll look for that on the CD but but could that do anything toward making the program usable?
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 7, 2009
Shaz,

Serial numbers were not placed directly on Adobe CDs. If you do not have a serial number as described on the back of the media sleeve or case, a registration card, or pasted into the front page of the manual, you are out of luck unless you can get your money back.

===

Ann and Nini,

Adobe did place serial numbers on small labels that were affixed directly onto one of the floppy diskettes for the app or font (I believe on the back side). The number was also on a label for the registration card which would have been mailed or faxed in. And there was another label you could affix to the title page of the user guide.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 7, 2009
That is how I remember it too — sticky labels with SNs have never been stuck directly onto CDs.
NT
Nini Tj
Mar 8, 2009
Ann,
actually, they have been stuck on to the CD-case.

I am looking at some right now. It is on standalone GoLive 6 and on standalone Illustrator 10 aaand standalone InDesign 2 (not CS2, 2),and standalone Photoshop 7. A twin-sticker with labels than can be peeled off to be placed elsewhere. (Yeah I have all those standalones still laying around). Above those 2 labels it says "The serial number labels below are for your convenience. Affix them in a safe place for future reference. After installing this software, you will need your serial number for accessing technical support and for purchasing upgrades" . So yes, serialnumber actually were stuck to the cd-case.
R
Ram
Mar 8, 2009
actually, they have been stuck on to the CD-case.

That’s precisely what Ann has been saying. The label is on the case, not the disc itself. 🙂

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections