CP
Posted By
clay_pruitt
Feb 6, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When i start Photoshop I am gettin a message that says "Invalid Numeric Entry. An interget between 0 pixels and 250 pixels is required. Restrored last valid value". This message has been popping up when i open photoshop too long for me to remember now. Also if i try to resize an image i cannot place a decimal to represent a fraction of an inch. (ex. if i want to have a size of 5.5 inches it will look like 5 5 or 55. No decimal can be placed in between the 2 numbers). Is anyone familure with this issue and does anyone have a fix for it? I have posted this probelm in the past and was not able to find an answer for it but it has been a while so i am hoping that someone might have an answer for the problem this time.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BL
Bob Levine
Feb 6, 2007
Pixel measurement must use INTERGERS. An interger is a whole number…no fractions; no decimals.

Bob
CP
clay_pruitt
Feb 6, 2007
I get this error message when am starting up photoshop or closing photoshop out. This error message occurs before i even open any image to edit. When i am attempting to resize and immage using inches i cannot use a decimal point but i do not recieve the message.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Feb 6, 2007
What version?

Certainly doesn’t happen to me in CS (or any previous version as far as I remember). You may need to reset/trash Preferences.
CP
clay_pruitt
Feb 6, 2007
this has happened to me in CS and now CS2. I have tried reseting the preferences and that does not work.
CP
clay_pruitt
Feb 6, 2007
Maybe resetting yor preferences in accordance with the FAQ will clear things up.

Maybe your regional settings are corrupted?

These are a couple of things i have tried along with unistalling and reinstalling photoshop. The only thing that i have found that works is when i completly start a new user account in windows and this is only a temoporary fix. I have started and deleted aproximatly 10 accounts since this problem started.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Feb 6, 2007
Very odd. Does it happen if you choose Letter in the New dialog?
CP
clay_pruitt
Feb 6, 2007
When i choose letter the dimensions read like this…
width 8 5 (decimal does not show up)
height 11
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Feb 6, 2007
Very weird. Could be a virus or spyware. Maybe another program. I remember Clean Sweep used to interfere with earlier versions of Photoshop. There is a program that does strange things to PS, but I can’t remember what it is.
CP
clay_pruitt
Feb 7, 2007
I am pretty sure this is not a virus. I have had this problem on 2 desktops and a laptop. Not only that but I have recently had to reload windows on one of my desktops and this has happened again on that PC. I will have to double check but i really dont think that any of the 3 computers have a single program in common on all of them. This includes spyware and internet security. I have mcafee on 2 of the PCs and norton on the other. I did have Spysweeper but removed that and replaced it with Mcafee. Bottom line is this has occured on more then one of my computers at different times with the computers not having the same software running on them. I have spent alot of time with adobe on the phone as well as microsoft on the phone and the tech guys havnt been able to figure out whats going on. I was really just hoping maybe someone else had had this problem and found a solution to it.
S
stevent
Feb 7, 2007
btw, Robert, it’s integer not interger.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Feb 7, 2007
What is the language/locale setting?
Are you able to type punctuations in Notepad?
If you shift-type all the numbers, do you get the correct characters? ( ! @ # ..etc.) Rob
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Feb 7, 2007
All installed from the same disk? Same problem on multiple machines suggests something wrong with the original installation files, unless you are making some basic mistake that I can’t figure out.
BL
Bob Levine
Feb 7, 2007
Sorry…no spell check and a new keyboard….bad combo.

Bob
CP
clay_pruitt
Feb 7, 2007
OK…locale language setting is english, i am able to type all punctuations and shift-type in notepad and i get all the correct characters. To answer your questions Ed…yes it is all installed from the same disk so that might be somthing to look into. The only thing that would be odd about that is that it does not start happening immediatly after installation. After i create a new account and install PS it will run fine for anywhere between a week to a month or even longer but once it goes bad, other then creating a new account, i havnt been able to solve this problem. I did a little experimenting with PS as well as other programs to see if anything else was effected. With PS I get the "invalid numeric entry" error again if i try to type in a specific sizes in the toolbar (ex. if i select to crop and then try to type in Height at 1in and width at 1in the message pops up). As far as text goes all keys and shift-keys work just fine. I did find that whatever is going on is also affecting my calculator. When i am trying to use the PCs calcualtor I am not able to use the decimal to represent a fraction of a number. I also went back and double checked the programs that i have running on both my desktop and laptop. The programs are Maya 8.0, Microsoft Office Suite, and an online game (Star Wars Galaxies).
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Feb 7, 2007
Hmm. I seem to recall an issue with MS Outlook, but that might have been on Mac. I think the solution had something to do with inputting a password.
CP
clay_pruitt
Feb 7, 2007
Wow…i just found out what it was i think and it had to do with a program a friend made from the online game. For some reason this programs screws up both the "," and the "." keys. The problem quits if the program is running but once you shut it off the problem starts back up. Thanks for all the help guys and just a little FYI…if you ever start playing Star Wars Galaxies do not download the Reverse Engeneering Calculator 🙂
BL
Bob Levine
Feb 7, 2007
Noted.

Bob

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections