KR
Posted By
Kristin_Richter-Tope
Feb 4, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am on a Mac and run 10.4.11 – I have tried re-installing the entire CS. I have also had to re-install every single thing on my computer. I am still having the problem that when I use the transform tool (Edit>transform) the entire system freezes, a gray film rolls down the screen and then I get the message that I have to re-start my computer by holding down the power button for 5-6 seconds. I have tried running CS4 without any other CS versions installed and I am still having the problem.

As soon as I uninstall the entire CS4 and install CS3 – everything if fine. What gives?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 4, 2009
Kristin,

This is a kernel panic. And it sounds like you may have software or OS corruption. See: <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1392>

A kernel panic is a type of error that occurs when the core (kernel) of an operating system receives an instruction in an unexpected format, or that it fails to handle properly. A kernel panic may also follow when the operating system is not able to recover from a different type of error. A kernel panic can be caused by damaged or incompatible software or, more rarely, damaged or incompatible hardware.

Neil
KR
Kristin_Richter-Tope
Feb 5, 2009
I ran a diagnostic both with and without the installation CD using disk utility AND I ran a hardware test – everything came back fine.
R
Ram
Feb 5, 2009
When the whole machine freezes, you have either hardware issues, or massive OS installation problems. No ifs or buts.
B
Buko
Feb 5, 2009
Do you have the same crash in a new user.
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 5, 2009
As soon as I uninstall the entire CS4 and install CS3 – everything if fine.

I suspect it is more likely CS4 and/or Mac OS than hardware as removing software removes the problem.

Neil
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 5, 2009
But apps can’t cause kernel panics (the Mac equiv of a BlueScreen).

Have you tried disabling GPU acceleration in Photoshop? (assuming it could be something with the video card or driver)
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 5, 2009
HD going bad?

Bad or mismatched RAM?

Have you added new RAM recently?
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 5, 2009
Chris,

But apps can’t cause kernel panics

But even Apple says: "A kernel panic can be caused by damaged or incompatible software"

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 5, 2009
Chris,

But apps can’t cause kernel panics

But even Apple says: "A kernel panic can be caused by damaged or incompatible software."

Is that incorrect/misleading on their part?

Neil
KR
Kristin_Richter-Tope
Feb 5, 2009
I’ve been using this computer for over a year and I haven’t had any issues until I installed CS4 – that is why I am inclined to think it is something specific to Photoshop. I’ve run InDesign, Acrobat, and Illustrator and I’m not having the problem. I’ve run CS2 and CS3 without this problem.
KR
Kristin_Richter-Tope
Feb 5, 2009
No one else is having the same problem that I am with CS4 Photoshop?
KR
Kristin_Richter-Tope
Feb 5, 2009
I don’t know what the GPU is – but why would it be the video card or driver when previous versions of CS have been fine. The only thing I have installed in CS4 and I have 2GB of memory and over 200GB available on my HD.

I have re-installed everything from the ground up – do you have any idea what a pain in the butt and how much time it takes?
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 5, 2009
Kristin,

You should never have a kernel panic in normal operation of this software.

Have you tried disabling GPU acceleration in Photoshop? (assuming it could be something with the video card or driver)

Did you try this? Which exact video card do you have? Is it on Adobe’s list? Do you have any issues at all with your hard drive? New RAM? How did you install/uninstall/reinstall your software? Also note that you if you are running multiple versions of CS, you should install the earlier version first. What system maintenance have you done?

Neil
B
Buko
Feb 5, 2009
No one else is having the same problem that I am with CS4 Photoshop?

No.
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 5, 2009
Kristin,

You should never have a kernel panic in normal operation of this software.

Did you try this? Which exact video card do you have? Is it on Adobe’s list?

In addition to possible video card issues (please search video card or graphics card and Photoshop CS4), do you have any issues at all with your hard drive? New RAM? How did you install/uninstall/reinstall your software? Also note that you if you are running multiple versions of CS, you should install the earlier version first. What system maintenance have you done?

Neil
B
Buko
Feb 5, 2009
I don’t know what the GPU is – but why would it be the video card or driver when previous versions of CS have been fine.

GPU = graphics processing unit

Simply put no version of Photoshop before CS4 took advantage of the Video Card. It would really help us to help you if you told us exactly what computer you have. Yes the exact model, I have a Mac is not good enough.
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 5, 2009
Neil – no application should be able to cause a kernel panic (barring bugs in the kernel). Only kernel level code should be able to cause a kernel panic. But kernel extensions, file systems, and many drivers run in a space that could cause a kernel panic.
R
Ram
Feb 5, 2009
Norton is NASTY stuff in OS X. Stay away from anything with the Norton name if you’re on any version of OS X, especially do NOT let anything with the Norton name (like Norton Anti Virus, File Saver) ever reside on your computer.

NAV (Norton Anti Virus) can lead to permanent file damage. Files damaged by NAV are not recoverable. NAV can also prevent many PostScript files from parsing, even if not damaged permanently.

Disk Doctor and Speed Disk are known to cause the kind of directory damage that can lead to kernel panics.

<http://www.macmaps.com/kernelpanic.html>

Another excellent reason to steer clear from all things Norton!

====

The kernel panic FAQ is divided by the order of most common occurrences of kernel panics:

* Directory
* Drivers
* Permissions
* RAM

1. A directory failure or user accidentally moving .kext files that should be left alone. The directory may fail, due to an accident caused by Norton Utilities or Systemworks, which may at random corrupt a directory even when trying to repair it. Norton Anti-Virus will not do this, but Norton Disk Doctor and Norton Speed Disk have a history of doing this.

[emphasis mine]
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 5, 2009
Chris,

no application should be able to cause a kernel panic

I hear you — then Apple is wrong or misleading in its document I cited.

===

Ramón,

I have never had an issue with Norton AntiVirus on any of about 6-8 OS X machines I’ve overseen. That said, there was a documented early Norton issue where files were destroyed, but that was patched, we avoided it, and it didn’t affect us in any way. Still doesn’t.

Neil
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 5, 2009
Neil – yeah, it’s not the first time someone has made mistakes in support documents.
R
Ram
Feb 5, 2009
Short of a user messing with kext files, I have personally never seen or experienced a total machine freeze and kernel panic caused by anything other than a hardware problem. This applies many machines on which I have worked or assisted with over many years.

What I quoted above came from <http://www.macmaps.com/kernelpanic.html>
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 5, 2009
Chris,

I believe it. Yesterday I happened to speak with a Seagate IT guy who couldn’t give correct information to Mac owners who complained that they couldn’t write to their drives.

Neil
KR
Kristin_Richter-Tope
Feb 5, 2009
This isn’t a new RAM issue as I haven’t installed any. When I re-installed all of the software from the ground up, I did an erase and install, so the whole thing should have been basically wiped before I installed the Mac software.

This is what I have:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac6,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM61.0093.B07
SMC Version: 1.10f3
Serial Number: W870312XVGP
PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-K06:

Model: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-K06
Revision: Q609
Detachable Drive: No
Protocol: ATAPI
Unit Number: 0
Socket Type: Internal
Low Power Polling: Yes

Apple Hardware Test:

Last Run: 2/3/09 3:55 PM
Version: 3A113
Loop Count: 1
Result: Passed

Power On Self-Test:

Last Run: 2/5/09 11:25 AM
Result: Passed

NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0391
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: 3022
Displays:
iMac:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1920 x 1200
Depth: 32-bit Color
Built-In: Yes
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Display Connector:

BANK 0/DIMM0:

Size: 1 GB
Type: DDR2 SDRAM
Speed: 667 MHz

Intel ICH7-M AHCI:

Vendor: Intel
Product: ICH7-M AHCI
Speed: 1.5 Gigabit
Description: AHCI Version 1.10 Supported

WDC WD2500JS-40TGB0:

Capacity: 232.89 GB
Model: WDC WD2500JS-40TGB0
Revision: 20.06C04
Serial Number:
Native Command Queuing: Yes
Queue Depth: 32
Removable Media: No
Detachable Drive: No
BSD Name: disk0
OS9 Drivers: No
S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified
Volumes:
Macintosh HD:
Capacity: 232.57 GB
Available: 195.81 GB
Writable: Yes
File System: Journaled HFS+
BSD Name: disk0s2
Mount Point: /
KR
Kristin_Richter-Tope
Feb 5, 2009
I’ve never touched any Norton, Disk Dr., or any other anti-virus software – a Mac doesn’t need it. I haven’t moved any Mac files around – just the ones I have created.

So if this really is a kernal panic, then I’m screwed, right?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 5, 2009
Unfortunately you cannot depend on the Apple Hardware test to identify bad RAM — and previously-good RAM can go bad.

Also, the NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT is unfortunately NOT on Adobe’s recommended List for using OpenGL in CS4 so try disabling OpenGL.

< http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb 405711&sliceId=1>
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 5, 2009
a Mac doesn’t need it.

Although a number of Mac owners do not use antivirus software, this is not really true, if for no other reason that you can become a Typhoid Mary, passing on viruses, worms, and Trojan horses to Windows users.

Macs are not immune to malware — we’ve just been lucky. But as Mac market share increases, those people who write malicious code will be focussing more on Macs.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 5, 2009
a Mac doesn’t need it.

Although a number of Mac owners do not use antivirus software, this is not really true, if for no other reason that you can become a Typhoid Mary, passing on viruses, worms, and Trojan horses to Windows users. I could easily lose a client if I innocently infected his PC.

Macs are not immune to malware — we’ve just been lucky. But as Mac market share increases, those people who write malicious code will be focussing more on Macs.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 5, 2009
a Mac doesn’t need it.

Although a number of Mac owners do not use antivirus software, Macs are not immune to malware — we’ve just been lucky. But as Mac market share increases, those people who write malicious code will be focussing more on Macs.

In addition, you can become a Typhoid Mary, passing on PC viruses, worms, and Trojan horses to Windows users. I could easily lose a client if I innocently infected his computer — even though no harm has come to my computer.

Neil
B
Buko
Feb 5, 2009
as in the Pirate CS4 malware.

the malware is actually in the crack app that craks the serial for you not in CS4 itself.
R
Ram
Feb 5, 2009
2GB on a Mac-Intel box running Leopard, is barely adequate to run CS4, but that would not cause a kernel panic. (Note: it’s kernel, not kernal, just in case you want to Google it.
P
Phosphor
Feb 5, 2009
You might be surprised about discovering you have bad RAM.

RAM is generally highly reliable, but even modules purchased from the most highly lauded manufacturers can be bad from the start or develop problems later.

I had intermittent problems for about 18 months—kernel panics that would happen out of the blue when I was barely doing anything. Interestingly, it never happened when I was banging the heck out of my system in Photoshop. I threw every test I could find at it, and tried to figure out what was causing the problem for that full year and a half.

Then, I stumbled upon the following article on MacFixit. Followed the instructions, tested my RAM, and sure enough…bad module. I called Crucial and they sent me a new unit. The stipulation was that I return the bad unit within 15 days. So, I had no real downtime.

Troubleshooting Tools: Memtest and Rember
<http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20050524014158525>
B
Buko
Feb 6, 2009
And Photoshop is the ultimate RAM tester.
R
Ram
Feb 6, 2009
Even Apple is susceptible to shipping bad RAM on occasion.
P
Phosphor
Feb 6, 2009
Buko…

Trotting out that old chestnut without any qualification trivializes the complexity of the kernel panic problem. Sure, there’s a strong element of truth to it, but by itself, doesn’t mean anything to most people.

Like I said…the kernel panics I was experiencing NEVER ONCE occurred when I was using Photoshop. They’d happen out of the blue…I could just go to click on a Finder menu right after a fresh system boot. BANG! Kernel panic. Then I might not see one for another 2 months, no matter what I did.

Since discovering the link and the test utilities I linked to above, and replaced the RAM module I haven’t ever had the problem again. And that was probably 3 years ago or more.

‘splain that one, tough guy!

😉 XD
B
Buko
Feb 6, 2009
‘splain that one, tough guy!

Sure. Photoshop has tested your RAM and it passed with flying colors.

B)
P
Phosphor
Feb 6, 2009
What does that even mean, Dude?

Sometimes it really is OK to think about and respond a little bit more deeply when making replies.

Go ahead, try it! But don’t you go ‘n strain yerself now, heah!?

😛 😉 XD
B
Buko
Feb 6, 2009
What does that even mean, Dude?

It means you have not had a kernel panic. You know that’s a good thing.
P
Phosphor
Feb 6, 2009
Thanks for your efforts.

NEXT!
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 6, 2009
Ramon – I’ve seen plenty of OS bugs cause kernel panics, and more than a few bad RAM sticks and bad video cards (especially when running screen savers for some reason), plus one bad power supply (that took me weeks to figure out – it only panic’d overnight).

Kristin – go to Macintosh HD/Library/Logs/ and look for a file called panic.log That should contain a log of recent kernel panics. If not, then the panic may have been caused the the disk system. If the recent panics are in the file, we might (or might not) be able to learn something from it — it all depends on the kind of panic and where it happened. The text in the file is pretty much only readable by a developer – it’s not intended for end user reading. But as long as there’s a chance, maybe we can help.
R
Ram
Feb 6, 2009
Chris,

There’s no doubt in my mind that you have seen a lot more Macs than I have. 🙂 I specifically said my comment applied to my personal experience.

plus one bad power supply (that took me weeks to figure out – it only panic’d overnight).

I had a series of overnight freezes a few days before last Christmas but no kernel panics. I thought of either overheating or power supply problems, but running a deep cleaning with Applejack several (many) times over four days eventually cleared it up.

A series of real kernel panics much earlier turned out to be caused by a malfunctioning SCSI card.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Feb 6, 2009
Kristin

Let me explain something about software when a software is updated it often fixes bugs that where there before and often is created with better support for existing and new features in bring this support to the application it might not bee as tolerant or compatible with corruption of say profiles and hardware issues.

For instance Illustrator 10 was much more tolerant of corrupt fonts then Illustrator CS and everyone who had issues with fonts said but Illustrator 10 runs fine with the same fonts.

Buko had a good point did you try a new user? Also did you check your cable connections, this issue was once around before a long time ago with the same scenario but with earlier version software. They found the solution but I admit i cannot recall. But it was something that seem very unlikely to be related to the transform command.

Perhaps it was the scratch disk or more then likely a conflict with a software you have installed. which is what i think and why no one else is seeing this.

You yourself have pointed to this as being the probable cause.

Yu uninstall reinstalled the system then all of your applications, All of your applications is the clue and probably the indictment.

Next tie your reinstall do it the right way. Either archive reinstall the system but first uninstall all your applications, then install the CS 4 then without installing anything else launch Photoshop CS 4 and use the transform commands. Aha it works fine, now reinstall your software one at a time and each time launch that application then launch Photoshop
and then us the transform commands. OK that one work and that one work…hey I think this is fix…hey what happen…oh man its back!

Now you know where the conflict lies.

More then likely.

You don’t by any chance have a haxie installed? One that alters the OS?

One that you like a lot and forgot to mention?
KR
Kristin_Richter-Tope
Feb 6, 2009
Well, it looks as though I had a kernal panic on 2/4 – this is what I’ve got:

Wed Feb 4 10:48:10 2009
panic(cpu 0 caller 0x001A49CB): Unresolved kernel trap (CPU 0, Type 14=page fault), registers: CR0: 0x80010033, CR2: 0x3fa4f38e, CR3: 0x01794000, CR4: 0x000006e0 EAX: 0xfffffaab, EBX: 0x047a1000, ECX: 0x3d52f0c0, EDX: 0x3fa4f000 CR2: 0x3fa4f38e, EBP: 0x25f13ce8, ESI: 0x04637000, EDI: 0x00023b62 EFL: 0x00010206, EIP: 0x3d51357a, CS: 0x00000008, DS: 0x05130010

Backtrace, Format – Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack) 0x25f13a98 : 0x128d0d (0x3cc65c 0x25f13abc 0x131f95 0x0) 0x25f13ad8 : 0x1a49cb (0x3d2a94 0x0 0xe 0x3d22b8)
0x25f13be8 : 0x19b3a4 (0x25f13c00 0x4bc800 0x25f13c38 0x24556027) 0x25f13ce8 : 0x3d51363a (0x4637000 0x23b62 0x0 0x1)
0x25f13d08 : 0x3d4f6b90 (0x4637000 0x23b62 0x47a1004 0x527e530) 0x25f13d28 : 0x3b3630 (0x47a1000 0x23b62 0x52ad1cc 0x0)
0x25f13d68 : 0x18a698 (0x47a1000 0x9 0x52ad1c4 0x1)
0x25f13db8 : 0x12b4ee (0x52ad19c 0x4fe96a8 0x0 0x0)
0x25f13df8 : 0x124b17 (0x52ad100 0x0 0x30 0x25f13edc)
0x25f13f08 : 0x195f2e (0x25f13f44 0x0 0x0 0x0)
0x25f13fc8 : 0x19b81e (0x5439840 0x1 0x19e0b5 0x5439840) No mapping exists for frame pointer Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0xbfffa9c8
Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies): com.apple.GeForce(4.5.8)@0x3d4e4000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.2)@0x35fda000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily(1.4.8)@0x3ce6f000 dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport(1.4.8)@0x3ce8a000 dependency: com.apple.NVDAResman(4.5.8)@0x3d059000

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 8.11.1: Wed Oct 10 18:23:28 PDT 2007; root:xnu-792.25.20~1/RELEASE_I386

KR
Kristin_Richter-Tope
Feb 6, 2009
What’s a haxie? Why is archiving the right way to reinstall? I can understand uninstalling software programs but not archiving the system.
P
Phosphor
Feb 6, 2009
The only thing I can possibly parse from that log is that it might have something to do with your video card.
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 6, 2009
Kristin,

What’s a haxie?

It’s a bit of software code that is designed to modify or enhance your Mac OS X (or by extension, your applications) in a way it was not originally intended to work. The problem is that hacking software this way can trigger other problems, such as crashes, freezes, failure of certain other software functions, unexpected responses to commands, or the inability to update.

Neil
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Feb 6, 2009
Sure looks that way.

Either the card or the drivers.

Kristin what I was suggesting is that with a fresh system you not load all your applications just CS 4 to see if it worked then you can load the other application.

But this loos like your video card is shutting down the system
AW
Allen_Wicks
Feb 6, 2009
Why is archiving the right way to reinstall?

Because an "archive and install" sets the old system aside for backup and then does a relatively complete new installation. This results in a cleaner installation with less junk code bits lying around. Sort of like cleaning to remove all the dirt, debris and dust bunnies before moving into a new house.
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 6, 2009
NVDAResman appears to be part of the problem – but the crash occurred in other kernel code. Part of the problem could be due to stack corruption, but the crasher was a reference to unmapped memory (segfault) from within the kernel.

Now, why do you see this and not (too many) other people? It could be a bad OS install (especially due to a bad update), could be a bad GPU chip or video RAM, or could be something unrelated that we’re just not seeing.

I’d place my bets on a bad OS install.
KR
Kristin_Richter-Tope
Feb 6, 2009
Well, after being on the phone with Apple support for over an hour it has been determined that CS4 requires a newer video card than what was installed on my computer by Apple 2 years ago. This video card was triggering the kernel panic.

So if anyone has a NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT – this isn’t sufficient for the CS4.

Also, given what I do for a living and my college classes, it wouldn’t hurt to install more RAM.
KR
Kristin_Richter-Tope
Feb 6, 2009
Oops, forgot to say THANK YOU to everyone for your ideas and help – it did help the Apple support that I already had gotten so much information.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 6, 2009
Ann Shelbourne – 3:25pm Feb 5, 09 PST (#24 of 47) Unfortunately you cannot depend on the Apple Hardware test to identify bad RAM — and previously-good RAM can go bad.

Also, the NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT is unfortunately NOT on Adobe’s recommended List for using OpenGL in CS4 so try disabling OpenGL.

< http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb 405711&sliceId=1>

—–
You could have saved yourself the call to Apple — you already knew more about the issue than they did:

8/

If you want to use OpenGL, you need a "flashed for Mac" nVidea 7800GT .
B
Buko
Feb 6, 2009
Kristen you might see if the "AllowOldGPUS.plugin" will work for you.
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 6, 2009
Kristen – Apple gave you some bad info. Photoshop CS4 can’t cause a kernel panic. Photoshop CS4 would work better with a newer video card, but will work with any (working) video card.

The video card shouldn’t be causing a panic, ever.
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 6, 2009
Kristen,

But don’t dismiss the possible bad OS install that Chris mentions. At this point, if it were my machine, I’d back up and fully reformat the drive and do a clean install of the OS, updates and software from the original disc media or downloads.

No point in replacing the video card unless it proves to be bad.

Neil
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Feb 6, 2009
No point in replacing the video card unless it proves to be bad.

It is still a good idea if the card is not supported for Kristin to upgrade the video card and the RAM. This would be a step backward. Keep going forward kristin buy the card and the RAM.
KR
Kristin_Richter-Tope
Feb 7, 2009
Chris,
Apple wasn’t saying that CS4 was tripping the kernel panic, it was more of a situation that the video card was and not because it was bad. CS4 was trying to get the video card to do something that it wasn’t capable of due to compatiblity issues (to put in a nutshell). So, it was like the video card was balking and sending out error information that tripped the kernel panic.

The video card isn’t bad, it just isn’t compatible with the new version of CS4.

Neil,
I did completely re-do everything on my system from the ground up.

Wade,
I will be getting the upgraded RAM but the video card will have to wait for awhile. I can still use CS3 until something forces me to go to CS4 in the immediate future – but I think I have at least 6 months before I have to do it.
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 7, 2009
Kristin – CS4 doesn’t ask the video card to do anything that the card/driver does not say it is capable of doing. This is not a case of "too old a card", because CS4 will work with any (non-malfunctioning) video card.

This is sounding more and more like your video card might be broken.
HR
Howard_Rudnick
Feb 7, 2009
Someone I work with using CS 4 experienced a panic kernel while painting. The two of us were using ps4 for only a couple days when this happened. I had already stopped using it until an update is ready. The file he was working on wasn’t really that big. For me it’s not much of an upgrade, you get to relearn a bunch of stuff, with crashes and slowdowns.I haven’t seen or experienced a system crash while using ps3.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 7, 2009
Howard;

Your experience is almost certainly directly related to your hardware configuration (particularly your video card) because it doesn’t happen to everyone — and it is definitely NOT happening here.
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 7, 2009
Howard,

I had already stopped using it until an update is ready.

What update? Yours is most likely a hardware problem: video card, RAM, hard drive; or bad OS install. As Chris Cox pointed out, Photoshop in and of itself does not create kernel panics.

You should pop the hood and check the oil.

Neil
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Feb 8, 2009
Neil you will not get anywhere with a user who really wants to believe they can never be at fault. You can tell this of Howard as he did not ask for help. He simply made what he thinks is a sound observation. He is wrong about this as he is looking at the problems he is having from a very different perspective then you are seeing it.

Try and help and see what I mean.
R
Ram
Feb 8, 2009
Wade has hit the nail on the head.
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 8, 2009
Wade and Ramón,

Guys, yep, it’s a drive-by, shoot-from-the-hip complaint. Nothing constructive generally comes from them.

But, in the remote possibility of offering some enlightenment, I posted.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 8, 2009
Wade and Ramón,

Guys, yep, it’s a drive-by, shoot-from-the-hip, generic complaint. Nothing constructive generally comes from them. And Howard’s still stuck with the bullet in his foot.

But, in the remote possibility of offering some enlightenment, I posted.

Neil
HR
Howard_Rudnick
Feb 9, 2009
Had to get back to work for info. The computer that crashed using PS4 is Mac Pro 2×2.66, 4gb ram, ATI RadeonX1900Xt with 512 ram, 2 drives-150/115 available, and 230/175 available. System 10.5.4. IT dept manages software and hardware. You know it is remotely possible that your software has something to do with the issue.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 9, 2009
And who loaded your Fonts; or installed the TWAIN filter perhaps?

Or didn’t Repair Permissions or run Disk Warrior after installing CS4?

And why have your IT people left you hanging in the now-superseded OSX 10.5.4?

You know it is more than remotely possible that … your IT guys have a great deal to do with the issue.

8/
AW
Allen_Wicks
Feb 9, 2009
The computer that crashed using PS4 is Mac Pro 2×2.66, 4gb ram, ATI RadeonX1900Xt with 512 ram, 2 drives-150/115 available, and 230/175 available. System 10.5.4.

Many Radeon X1900 cards had issues, often heat-related. At a minimum verify the fans and air circulation, general internal cleanliness of the box (IT not required, just pop it open and carefully/gently blow the dust out) and the ambient air temp around the box.

And why have your IT people left you hanging in the now-superseded OSX 10.5.4?

Excellent question. Probably simply if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Just tell IT is is broke.

4gb ram

RAM is cheap. Anyone running CS apps on a MP should have more than 4 GB of RAM on board.
R
Ram
Feb 10, 2009
System 10.5.4. IT dept manages software and hardware.

They’re a bunch of incompetent morons and should be replaced.

Incidentally, we’re all users just like you. You are not addressing Adobe here. Photoshop is not "our" software.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Feb 10, 2009
Enjoy yourself Howard!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections