Importing form Xerox scaner shuts down my computer (PS 7)

PJ
Posted By
Patrick_J_Tracy
Jan 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This is quite perplexing, I recently upgraded my PC and bought all new components and put it together myself. I was previously running an IBM Aptiva with windows 2000, I had no problems importing with the Xerox WorkCentre XK35c. That was using USB1
Now I am running an Intel 2.6GH P4 with a P4 875p Intel MB and 1gig of DDR400 ram. This motheboard required the windows2000 servicepack4 to enable highspeed USB2, which i did.

Now everytime i go to File/Import/Xerox WorkCenter XK Series it tries to acces the scaner/printer and my computer proptly shuts down…

This never happend before and I am cluless as to why it is happening now, any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I am useing Photoshop 7

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 24, 2004
Use the TWAIN in another program to see if it is indeed Photoshop specific. I’m guessing it has nothing to do with PS.

Try it in IrfanView if you don’t have another program you can scan into.

Also, does the Xerox have standalone interface, meaning non Twain? Try that too.

Mac
PJ
Patrick_J_Tracy
Jan 24, 2004
Mac,
I this Xerox workcenter does not have standaloe scaning interface.

As to useing another program, good call. Here is what happened..

1.Opened Infranview
File/select TWAIN source/ 2 options(Xerox WorkCenter XK Series) (Xerox WorkCenter XK Series USB)

I tried both and nothing happened… Next

2.File/Aquire

‘Error: Hight/Width mode cannot be set to what you specified’… followed somthing like ‘Error:USB port not connected please make sure all the wires are connect and re-boot your computer’ and one other error message, i have seen them before, but I cant remeber them exactly and i never wrote them down =\ Next…

3.File/Batch Scanning

Batch Scanning Setup… i used defaults and clicked OK, it opened the Xerox WorkCenter TWAIN Scanner and it works, I scaned an image.

Next i tried to get those error messages to show up again so i could finaly write them down but i went to do that and…

4. File/Aquire

Opened the Xerox WorkCenter TWAIN Scanner and it works… no error messages…

Now im really confused….

I have not tried PS again yet though, so im not sure whats up with that.
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 24, 2004
something is seriously wrong if your system is shutting down. xp and 2k are process isolated meaning an application can not bring down the os or system. i’d start looking at hardware. memory, card seatings, cable connections, processor seating, proper ventelation etc.

one thing to look at though is the computer REALLY shutting down or do you have it set to restart on a fault. go into my computer, properties, advanced, startup and recovery, settings and see if you have the "automatically restart" box checked on system failure. this "feature" can make a "blue screen" event (likely a driver error" seem worse than it is. uncheck that and if the system STILL shuts down, you likely have either a system hardware fault or a bios error. to test the bios, see if your mobo has something like a "conservative" setting and set that up. see if it still restarts.
PJ
Patrick_J_Tracy
Jan 25, 2004
Thanks for the help, here is whats happened with the info Dave gave me…

I turned off auto re boot, which was nice, because it left that blue screen up and I could actually write down what it said, instead of just guessing.

"
Stop: 0X000000A …(bunch more numbers, mostly zeros)

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Address 8042E554 base at 80400000, DateStamp 3ee65063 – ntoskrnl.exe Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete. Contact your system administrator or technical support group. "

Now here is the wierd part, this only happens when i slecte File/Import/Xerox WorkCenter XK Series

There is another option whcih is
File/Import/Xerox WorkCenter XK Series USB … This option used to do nothing, and i tried it again after i wrote down the blue screen info and now it works. It opens the workcenter scanning app and it scanns fine…

technically my problem is solved… but this blue screen crap still happens when i select the wrong option, if anyone can give me any advice with that, i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks alot for your help!
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 25, 2004
blue screens in 2k are generally driver errors. i’d start w/the scanner drivers. are the signed for win2k or are you using something "compatable". are ALL drivers on your system 2k signed? very important. upgrade all drivers on your system, starting with the scanner and usb, then go for video, sound, printer, etc.

finally if nothing else works, start looking for drivers for stuff on the mobo from intel.
RH
r_harvey
Jan 25, 2004
According to Google, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL < http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8 &q=%22IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL%22&btnG=Google+Search> means a driver problem. It sounds like an IRQ conflict–like two cards conflicting over resources.
M
mistermonday
Jan 25, 2004
Patrick, I have seen your problem before, mostly with Win XP. The OS has built in Microsoft driver to handle Imaging Devices like scanners. When you install Twain drivers there are sometimes multiple in your system. By default Window uses its own. So even when you select Import>Xerox within PS, the driver used is Windows and it is not compatible so things happen (nothing, blue screens, error msgs).
You should be able to fix it by right clicking on My Computer and select Properties > Device Manager > Imaging Devices > Your Scanner > Driver Tab. Point it to the correct driver and you should be OK.
Rgds, MM

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections