MM
Posted By
Marie_Maier
May 10, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve designed images for a visual/musical presention for a concert, and I’ve hit a "pixilation" issue I didn’t think I’d have.

I apparantly had faulty knowledge about what the ppt projector does and I’m afraid I should have worked with a much higher resolution in PS in the first place.

I have time to redo some of the images but not all if I could, but for the future, just how/what could I have done with jpg’s and "print screen" images I was allowed to use to get the clearest enlargements?

Yeah, I know….after the horse is gone you lock the barn…….mm

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JO
Jim_Oblak
May 10, 2007
Before starting any graphics, you need to know the effective resolution of the projector.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution>

Use this knowledge for producing image files. Of course, you still need common sense to recognize that while projected resolution may seem to have no limit these days, there are limits to how small you can make text to be readable from a distance.
MM
Marie_Maier
May 10, 2007
I do not know the resolution of the projector as I don’t know who’s equipment we will be using.

Could you give me an example/for instance of a projector:image resolution? Thanks much.

BTW, all images were saved a .png as suggested by PPT…..mm
T
TLL
May 10, 2007
Hi, you mentioned ‘print screen’ images, as in screen grabs right? Those generally will be OK if you are wording with a high resolution monitor (like 1600×1200 24/32 bit), these are still only 96ppi though, leaving very little ‘wiggle room’ for cropping, etc. In cases where I don’t know the output technology for the presentation I will use a size of 1600×1200 @200ppi (5.5mb or so) for my image size to import into PPT. If you have the time and foresee other uses for the images you can start with a larger size, say 300ppi and work with those on PS and rescale downstream.

You can then scale and crop your finals in PPT without leaving too much ‘extra pixels’ in the presentation that can lead to problems with massive file sizes that can slow down show presets and the like, especially on an unknown output system.

Jim’s advice on font size (and too much typography in presentations) and jaggies are worth emphasizing. Less is more!

I have used jpgs out of PS for PPT’s all the time with no ill effects from the compression, my last big show using the above work flow looked awesome on a big 3 gun projector @ 60×40 feet.

Hope this helps and good luck! TLL
GH
Gernot_Hoffmann
May 10, 2007
Marie,

common resolutions are
800x 600
1024x 768 , a (semi)professional standard
1280×1024
<http://www.nextag.com/epson-projector/search-html>

Raster images should be prepared for PPT with the
final pixel numbers for width and height, according
to the available usable area.

Best regards –Gernot Hoffmann
JO
Jim_Oblak
May 10, 2007
I’m not sure how PPI has anything to do with this topic.
T
TLL
May 10, 2007
"I’m not sure how PPI has anything to do with this topic."

I guess you’re right there – that’s just a habit from working mainly in the print world where that kind of thing is important (x by x @ xppi). Many times images from that arena get used for on-screen.

Pixels is pixels and I stand corrected…

TLL
MM
Marie_Maier
May 10, 2007
Well, I guess I worked from the beginning the wrong way. PPT info said to us a 5"x4" size for final cropping and I did. Reading these remarks I think I should have begun with 4X that size and then resized.

Yes I did some "snatch" print screen stuff for some of the images .. To fix what I could, I enlarged every image to 300-400% and blended as much of the pixels as I could. However, too much of that ruins the small size images and blends get to look blurred. I don’t want to have to do that again…takes hours to fix, resave, reenter, retime, etc.,etc.,etc.

I do appreciate whatever suggestions come this way….thanks much…mm
JO
Jim_Oblak
May 11, 2007
PPT info said to us a 5"x4" size for final cropping

Seriously? ‘Inches’ are part if that ‘PPI’ thing, which has nothing to do with video projection.
MM
Marie_Maier
May 11, 2007
Yes, I know. That 5×4 size, when extended, was supposed to be 1/4 the size of the projected image.
JO
Jim_Oblak
May 11, 2007
….but 5"x4" does not note the resolution so even if it was scaled for projection, it makes no sense.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections