How do I increase the resolution in my image when ready…….

JE
Posted By
James_Earl_Jones
Apr 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
to print out my final print. I am a newbie thank you…I just got back into photoshop and am learning as I go along. Be nice.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

You should be working at the proper print resolution from the get-go.

To increase resolution at the last moment will only degrade your image.
JE
James_Earl_Jones
Apr 2, 2004
OK WELL MAYBE THAT DIDN’T COME OUT RIGHT. SO, IF I AM WORKING ON AN IMAGE HOW WOULD I INCREASE THE RESOLUTION SO I AM NOT GETTING A PICTURE OF PIXELS.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 2, 2004
The number of pixels in your image is decided at the moment that you create it — whether by scanning, or directly in a digital camera.
You need to start with a big enough file for your final needs — not be increasing resolution after the fact.

You also need to turn off your caps lock!

:~)
NK
Neil_Keller
Apr 3, 2004
James,

Unlike TV crime dramas which miraculously reveal a clear license plate number shot by a security video camera 50 yards away, you cannot reveal image detail or texture that is not in the original image (although you can enhance weak detail). If your image is small or low resolution and you can’t reshoot the original at appropriate resolution, you may be able to interpolate data that could give you a satisfactory larger image using resampling techniques, including Genuine Fractals. The image would be larger. The edges would be suitably sharp. But you would have no additional detail. And set side by side with a properly shot original, there would be differences in detail and overall quality.

Neil
L
Larryr544
Apr 3, 2004
In the old days with slower machines, documents were oftened processed at a lower resolution until near the end, then resized up before the details such as text were added. This was proposed by Kai and it is still done on slower machines sometimes.

If you have a fast machine and enough drive space start with the full rez image.

To resize upwards in PS CS use bicubic smoother. I believe this was your question. SOme people do it 10% at a time.
P
Phosphor
Apr 3, 2004
No matter what, there is no substitute for lots of big fat data.

Start with as much image info as you can get, in the form of high pixel count and color bit-depth.

Sizing down is OK. Sizing up is just plain WRONG.
B
Buko
Apr 3, 2004
As alluded to by Neil, what you need is the Hollywood filter. This filter which works wonders in the movies has yet to be found in real life.
JS
John_Slate
Apr 3, 2004
Well that shouldn’t be a problem. I think James has some connections in Hollywood.
M
MichaelHope
Apr 3, 2004
James,

If you have a 100 dpi file to start with and you increase the file to 300 dpi, Photoshop takes an average of the dots on either side and adds 2 more dots in between to increase the amount of pixels to 300. The problem is, the new pixels–say between a black pixel and a white pixel–would be 2 grey pixels (at 50% actually). The result is a soft, fuzzy image with, as someone else mentioned, no greater quality than the lower rez image.

This process is interpolation. It should be avoided when going larger than your original.

James Earl Jones is a great hollywood name. The hollywood filter, less so.
JS
John_Slate
Apr 4, 2004
Of course when you are only given a small number of pixels to begin with, and can’t get access to original artwork to rescan (this has happened to all of us), resampling is the only choice sometimes.

The biggest factor when determining whether you need to do this or not is the type of printer or rip to which you will be printing.

Some printers/rips re-interpolate all raster imagery anyway to soemthing like 300ppi, so if that is the type of printer you use, there is really no reason to uprez in Photoshop. All you will do is create more data to transfer, and get basically the same result (i.e. kind of a mushy pixel effect).

Other types of printers/rips do not resample rasters and if the rez is low enough, pixels become glaringly visible. If that is the type of printer you use, then uprezzing in Photoshop is the answer. It’s not a great answer, just the best one under the circumstances. Better to have a kind of mushy image that visible pixels.

Then again, some people actually WANT pixels to show sometimes for an effect, but that is a whole nother issue.

An 8ppi image will print nice crisp 1/8 inch squares of color on the 2nd type of printer mentioned above, but unless special care is taken, will be tranformed into a weird mush pile by the 1st type of printer. It is probably, better to resample those types of things using nearest neighbor, or maybe making it in the first place using the mosaic filter.
JE
James_Earl_Jones
Apr 5, 2004
Thank you all for your for your advise, I guess I need to look at how big the images are. I am not shooting digital but having all my still images transferred to cd at a pro-lab. Photoshop is so foreign to me right now. It has been about 3yrs since I last used it, now that I finally have the money I have the luxury of using it everyday. I have also just recently made a change from PC to Mac. I purchased a Mac G4, which is great considering I had a $500.00 Hewlett previously. I find that Mac’s are so much more user friendly than anything I have used in the past.

By the way I am not the real Jame Earl Jones…….. 🙂

I was thinking about Greta Gabel, but I’m not that sexy!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 5, 2004
James:

You may need to give your Lab rather specific instructions because the standard "Save your photos to CD" services usually give you very small JPEGs (probably less than 2MB) which are suitable for on-screen monitoring or web-work but are only suitable for very small images if you are going to print them.
JE
James_Earl_Jones
Apr 5, 2004
Ann,

So I guess you could say I may be really screwed. I know they told me I wouldn’t be able to print anything bigger than a 8 x 10 from their cd’s, which is fine for now I guess. With the Epson 2200 I can only go maybe one or two sizes bigger anyway. I will have to double check with the lab and find out. Thanks for bringing this to my attention

Thank ya…..Thank ya vury much!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 5, 2004
That could be an 8 x 10 on your inkjet — but only a 4 x 5 on a press.

You may want to can the rest of your order for those CDs and invest in your own film scanner.

:~(
JE
James_Earl_Jones
Apr 5, 2004
Damn…..What does a good scanner go for? I be coming from the ol’ school darkroom to the new school!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 5, 2004
Check out eBay.

You might be able to pick up a Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 ED rather reasonably now that Nikon have announced their new range of scanners.
JE
James_Earl_Jones
Apr 5, 2004
Any special hook ups or connections needed? Will it effect the space on my computer?
RG
Rene_Garneau
Apr 5, 2004
Will it effect the space on my computer?

Not really, just the space on your desk. : )
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 5, 2004
The physical footprint is quite small and it should come with both Firewire and USB cables. Yo will need sufficient space on your HD to store files until you burn them to a CD. Obviously, firewire will give you better performance if you can use it.
JE
James_Earl_Jones
Apr 6, 2004
I talked to my lab and they advised me that each file or image(sorry i am very computer smart)is 25MB. They said it should be more than big enough to work off. Are they speaking the truth or are they pulling my hairy leg?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 6, 2004
Check one of the CDs that they have made for you:
Are the file-sizes twenty five MBs or two-point-five MBs?

25MBs will give you a file that will be suitable (providing that you don’t crop it) for press-output (at 300 ppi) on a US Letter-sized sheet.
JE
James_Earl_Jones
Apr 7, 2004
They are 25MB….so if I want to work from that image, how do I adjust it or increase the resolution. When I print the image file as is, it turns out to be to big to print. How do I make the image smaller to fit the print w/o affecting the pixels? Whenever I make the image smaller, the amount of pixels decrease….which in turn makes my image look like a picture of pixels. Again I do appreciate all your help…..like I said earlier I am very new to all this.

James Earl Jones
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 7, 2004
Go to Image menu > Image Size
Check "Constrain Proportions"
UNcheck "Resample Image"

Now you can change the output-size without losing any pixels.
JE
James_Earl_Jones
Apr 7, 2004
Ann, Thank ya…….thank ya vury much! You do not know how much this helps me. If I knew ya and was standing next to ya I would give you a big hug. Thank you.

James Earl Jones
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 7, 2004
Glad that I could help.

[Hugs are great — Godivas are better!]

:~)
DK
Doug_Katz
Apr 7, 2004
Oh, so you’re playing around behind my back. OK. Fine.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 7, 2004
Jealous AND sulking?!
JE
James_Earl_Jones
Apr 7, 2004
Hey…I am just glad that someone was willing to help. Usually you go on forums and people do everything they can to belittle you. I really do appreciate it. Sorry I don’t have any Godivas to feed through the net. Here’s a virtual hug though…errrrrrrrr! Sorry didn’t mean to squeeze to hard.

JEJ
R
Ram
Apr 7, 2004
JEJ,

Try not to downsample, i.e. do not resample to a smaller amount of pixels. Just change the document resolution (ppi) without altering the number of pixels.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 7, 2004
Careful! Or we will have Doug threatening pistols at dawn…
DK
Doug_Katz
Apr 7, 2004
"Jealous AND sulking?!"

Both. Intensely.
R
Ram
Apr 7, 2004
Or we will have Doug threatening pistols at dawn…

Over downsampling??? 😮
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 7, 2004
No — over Hugs and Godivas.
DK
Doug_Katz
Apr 7, 2004
Ramón, I have fancied myself to be Ann’s main forum squeeze for a long time, certainly ever since I sent her a carton of Godivas. Now I see on this thread her penchant for indiscriminate solicitation and feel deeply scorned. I bear no ill-will toward James Earl. Ann simply brings this kind of affection out in people so how could he be expected to help himself… and besides, he’s one of my favorite actors. But Ann’s conduct here is unspeakably painful.

(JIC: 🙂 )
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 7, 2004
< SHAME >
|{ < STANDING-IN-THE-CORNER >
R
Ram
Apr 7, 2004
Doug.

…ever since I sent her a carton of Godivas …

Darn, I need more coffee. I read that phrase three times as "…ever since I sent her a cartoon of Godivas".
JE
James_Earl_Jones
Apr 7, 2004
Sorry…ever since my voice over in Star Wars, I tend to get this kind of reaction. It has something to do with the whole Darth Vader thing……really I am not into the whole Star Wars thing. It’s just not my bag baby! If you know what I mean.

JEJ
DK
Doug_Katz
Apr 7, 2004
Ramón, I sent her a cartoon of Godivas too. But it obviously hasn’t won her over.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 7, 2004
Well it’s nearly Easter — and the box is now empty.

So you could always try again.
DK
Doug_Katz
Apr 7, 2004
On the way. Hope springs eternal.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections