Posted By
lindsey_yerbey
Jul 3, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
i’m in a bit of a bind.

was told to create 18 images at 5x14in. at 300 dpi and now i’m told to change these images to 7x20in. at 300 dpi. is there any way to do this and still create a good looking, sharp image for print? my printer keeps telling me that my resolution is not at 300dpi, and although it technically is, because of the size change it doesn’t look it. i’m trying to figure out a way to fix this problem without starting from scratch. i’ve only got until the end of the week, so i really need any suggestions i can get to fix this! the images are farm scenes for a children’s book,so the images have crisp edges and bright colors and gradiants, which is why having the edges look as sharp as possible is key.

thanks!

lindsey 🙂

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Jul 3, 2007
Hi Lindsey,

Are you the illustrator for this book? I’m thinking of how these illustrations originated. If they are hand-painted, you’d need larger scans, if they are made on a computer, perhaps in Illustrator, maybe they’d be vector graphics, and thereby resolution-independent.
LY
lindsey_yerbey
Jul 3, 2007
thanks for responding.
yes, i am the illustrator. i’m more of a web designer, so this printing thing is new to me. i did the illustrations in photoshop, because at the time i did them originally (about 1.5 year ago) i didn’t know illustrator all that well. obviously if i did a new project i’d do it in illustrator.
all that to say, their not vector, they’re photoshop, rastor images.
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Jul 3, 2007
Ok, and the original illustrations are done at 5×14 inches at 300 ppi?

Thats bad news if you want to print larger.

That said, you could try upsampling with Bicubic Smoother interpolation, and then try to sharpen up your images with Smart Sharpen afterwards.

But this is ofcourse no substitute for real image data.
JW
John_Woram
Jul 3, 2007
Lindsey, to get a 7 x 20 in. print at 300 pixels to the printed inch, you need an image that is 2100 x 6000 pixels. If your current image is only 1500 x 4200 pixels (ie, it prints to 5 x 14 in. @ 300 ppi), then it has to be enlarged before printing. You’ll lose a bit of sharpness when you enlarge, so you’ll need to do a test print to see if the quality is still acceptable.

John

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections