MC
Posted By
Mike_Crabb
Jan 15, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Files saved in CS3 or Lightroom 2.2 as PSDs cannot be opend later in CS2 or CS and saved as Jpeg. They can be opened, just not resaved as jpg. I can save them as a tif or pdf file but the subsequent file still will not save as jpeg. Everything saves as it should in CS3. When I try to Save As in older versions of photoshop it just locks up and has to be force quit. Not running version q and have max compatibility set on all machines. Also when I try to apply or convert to profile to a CS3 PSD in older versions I get the same lock up.

These are raw files developed in LR2 as aRGB PSD. Some had additional work done in CS3 and then resaved as PSDs. Handed off to client and now they cannot resave the files as jpgs in cs2. So I get a couple files back from them and try. They convert to jpgs just fine on my machines running CS3 but not on machines running CS. I don’t have CS2.

I started delivering PSDs instead of Tifs about a year ago and this is the first time I ran into this issue. Any clues?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 15, 2009
A couple of thoughts…

I haven’t checked if either of these is the issue, but are these 8- or 16-bit images? Are they RGB or CMYK?

Also, how have these been transfered to the client? Do you have the same problem with files not first handed off to your client? What else did the client do to them?

Neil
MC
Mike_Crabb
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks for your time Neil. I deliver 8 bit Adobe RGB1998 to the client via ftp and let them do the cmyk conversion. I got both rgb and cmyk files back from them. To make a long story short, I get the same problem with the original files from my hard drive when I try to resave with anything less then CS3.
P
pfigen
Jan 16, 2009
Got any extra Alpha channels populating those files? I don’t remember when Ps started automatically saving a copy when requesting jpeg if you had alpha channels.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Jan 16, 2009
Are you saving the jpeg with a hyphen followed by a number but before the suffix?
MC
Mike_Crabb
Jan 18, 2009
No extra channels and I tried saving as a copy anyway to no avail. Saving as a Tif worked fine but then reopening the tif and saving as a jpg didn’t work.

Wade, the naming may play a part. There are no hyphens but the one file they could not convert and I can’t either (in CS) has spaces in it. File name "Chip n Dip.psd". This shouldn’t be a problem on my end but the client is pc based. I’ll try renaming and see what happens.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Jan 18, 2009
That should not be a problem on the PC either.

It may not be the way you have named it but the way they have named it?

How about simply sending them jpegs?
MC
Mike_Crabb
Jan 19, 2009
That would not be very professional in my view. They think I delivered defective files, even though the catalog has gone to print and they are very satisfied with the high res PSDs. I would rather be able to prove it’s a software glitch and provide a solution so it doesn’t happen again.
R
Ram
Jan 19, 2009
These are raw files developed in LR2 asÂ…

Have you posted in the Lightroom forum?
MC
Mike_Crabb
Jan 25, 2009
Ramon, I did not but thanks for the tip. After reading posts over there, it is a bug in LightRoom that it is not backwards compatable with Photoshop CS 2.
The way I see it, I have three choices. I can try to force my client(s) to upgrade photoshop. I can let them go elsewhere for there photographic needs. Or I can not use LightRoom.
What a shame. Other then that fatal error, LightRoom was a good product. Hope they correct this sooner rather then later.
B
Buko
Jan 26, 2009
The way I see it, I have three choices.

You could make a forth choice of making an Action to resave all the PSDs for this client.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections