Posted By
itsupport.alex
Apr 14, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
HI

I have thousands of TIFFs sorted into appropriate folders, which I need to automatically resave as TIFFs with LZW compression. Please could someone advise me how to do this either as a batch in PS or with 3rd party software. Whichever option I use, the IPTC data must be retained, ie captions etc.

Thanks

Alex

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DR
Danny_Raphael
Apr 16, 2007
I don’t know of a 3rd party tool, but it’s very possible one exists.

Here’s one approach in Photoshop:
* Create an action (easy)
* Apply the action using the Batch command (could be easy or messy, depending on your folder setup)

A. Create an action
* Open a representative, uncompressed .tif file
* Be sure the Actions Palette is visible (try pressing F9) * From Actions Palette menu (arrow, top right of palette) choose New Set * Assign the set a name, e.g., "Convert Files", then click OK * Again from the Actions Palette menu choose New action
* Assign a name, e.g., "Save tif with LZW", then click Record * From the File menu choose Save as… …File name: Do NOT change ….Format: .tif
….Folder: Anywhere. Desktop is fine.
….Click Save
….In the next dialog specify .tif options
….Click OK to save
* File > Close
* Click square button (STOP recording) at the bottom of the Actions Palette to terminate the recording process

Check out the saved (modified) .tif. Assuming it’s OK, continue on.

========

B. Test run – Apply the action using the Batch command

First, create a new folder on your Desktop named \Destination

Next: From the File menu choose Automate > Batch
* Play: [set], [action] – specify the ones from above
* Source: Folder (browse to a folder containing "a few" uncompressed .tif files) * Destination: Folder (browse to \Destination)

(x) Override action ‘save as’ commands

* Click OK… and away you should go.

Check the results… Hopefully OK, too.

================

Conceptually the Batch command will take files from the Source folder, apply the specified action to each file and save the modified files in the Destination folder.

Can the Destination folder = the Source folder? Yes, but it’s important to note the original files are overwritten with (replaced by) the modified files. If you go this route, be sure you have backups of your uncompressed .tif files "just in case."

Now, if your situation is something like "I’ve got dozens and dozens of folders. Isn’t there some way to do this in Photoshop without specifying every single folder?"

A: Not really.

Here’s an option that might help a little __IF__ your .tif files are saved in a single file tree, something like:

\all tif files
…..\subfolder 001
……….\subsubfolder A
……….\subsubfolder B
……….\subsubfolder C
…..\subfolder 002
……….\subsubfolder A
……….\subsubfolder B
…..\subfolder 003
……….\subsubfolder A
……….\subsubfolder B
……….\subsubfolder C
……….\subsubfolder D
.. .
.. .
.. .
…..\subfolder 998
…..\subfolder 999
……….\subsubfolder A

================

In this case one could specify

Source: Folder (\all tif files)
(x) Use all subfolders

….and Batch would process all files within \all tif files.

BUT, for what you want to do there’s no provision to "save them in place", hence the converted files (all of them) would be saved in whatever Destination folder is specified.

Wish the news was better. Hope this helps.

~Danny~

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections