M
Posted By
mwgreen
Feb 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I used the file browser to do some batch processes on a folder of digital photos. I renamed them to something useful (san_diego01 – san_diego46), added three keywords, an author and a copyright.

Somewhere in there PS CS completely mucked up the Metadata | File Properties | Date Created and Date Modified.
I now have dates on those images ranging (in seemingly random fashion) from November 1906 to March 2039!
Camera EXIF data is intact and shows the correct information.

What the heck happened?
Why did it happen (corollary – can I prevent it from happening again in the future)? Can I get the information (dates) back to what they *should* be?

Note: Other folders of digital photos taken with the same camera (but not run through the CS browser in any sort of batch processing show correct information)
Note: The SAME photos re-transferred from the memory card (but not batch processed in any way) show the correct information.

Martye

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

M
mwgreen
Feb 19, 2004
– Took a batch of test photos and copied them to a new folder. – Checked metadata:
– Date created was today’s date (as it should be for copied files) – Date modified was the original file date (as it should be) – Selected all the files and added one keyword.
– rechecked Metadata
– dates created and dates modified CHANGED to dates ranging from 11-19-1939 to 02-25-1940.

I can possibly see the "date modified" changing to today’s date (which it didn’t), but "date created" shouldn’t change by adding a keyword and in any case, the dates are changing to ridiculous values.

This appears to be a reproducible bug.

System information:
Adobe Photoshop Version: 8.0 (8.0×118)
Operating System: Windows 2000
Version: 5.0 Service Pack 4
System architecture: Intel CPU Family:15, Model:0, Stepping:10 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, HyperThreading
Processor speed: 1680 MHz
Built-in memory: 767 MB
Free memory: 418 MB
Memory available to Photoshop: 698 MB
Memory used by Photoshop: 50 %
Image cache levels: 4
etc.
M
mwgreen
Feb 19, 2004
I previously reported that the EXIF data was unaltered but that turns out not to be the case.

Actually, it does seem to have mucked up the EXIF data as well. EXIF data from images to which one keyword was applied (in Photoshop PS CS) is no longer available in PSP 8.1.

Did the same as above:
– took a handful of unedited photos and copied them to a new folder. – Checked the EXIF data in both PSP and PS CS. It was intact in both applications. – Selected all the photos and applied one keyword in Photoshop CS file browser (dates changed to Feb-Mar 2010) and the EXIF data is no longer available in PSP 8.1 even though it is in PS.

Date changing behavior has been confirmed by one other user, so far.

Martye
M
mwgreen
Feb 19, 2004
Further testing:

Modifying ANY IPTC data (keywords, author, copyright) causes the bizarre date change problem. Modifying ANY IPTC data in Photoshop CS renders the EXIF data unavailable to some other applications.
The bizarre dates seem only to occur in PS CS, as PS 7.01 and other applications see the correct dates.

Martye

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections