J
Posted By
John-Michael
Apr 29, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can someone advise why, having 33Gb free h/disk space and 768M Ram, I can’t open a 16 bit file of around 50M. My scratch disks are set as:
First = startup
Second = C:
Third = None
Fourth = None

PS7 opens these files without a hitch, ‘memory usage’ set as low as 50%.

John

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

L
LenHewitt
Apr 30, 2004
What are your pagefile settings?

Should be at least Min=Max=1536Mb

Also, there is no point in setting the primary to startup and the secondary to c: -those are both the same drive (on the vast majority of machines)
BL
Bill_Lamp
Apr 30, 2004
John-Michael,

With my 3/4 gig chip memory system with a 10 gig Photoshop swap file partition (FAT-32) letting Win-XP home manage the system swap file I have no problems working with 69 Meg. files (base size) with several layers including some that are New Layer By Copy then adjusted then the opacity changed to fade the effect (and be able to re-adjust it later if need be).

1,178,856 KB page file size right now with my News Reader working, IE open here, and a 69.4 meg 16 bit TIFF loaded into Photoshop-CS/8 which is hiding right behind Internet Explorer and not reduced.

50.4 Gig free on the system drive [ C: ] FAT-32.

Len knows what he is talking about so listen to him. Your system should handle those files.

I decided to let Windows manage the system swap file size for system use specific reasons.

Bill

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections