O
Posted By
One4All
Sep 5, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
On CD’s, I have almost 300 images, all in TIFF, some 8-bit, some 16-bit. (Don’t ask why.) These images were color-corrected and sharpened when scanned from original film transparencies & neg’s. Later, I scanned the transp’s & neg’s onto separate CD’s as raw (no color correction, sharpening, etc.). Again, don’t ask why. Well, all I can say it’s been a learning experience.

I want to make a slideshow DVD, using iMovie, for friends & family from the non-raw files; the raw files will be used, later, for high-quality prints. I’m thinking the color-corrected & sharpened scans (non-raw) will be OK for the DVD.

I already have JPEG images of the non-raw files on my Desktop. I used Preview to convert the TIFF’S to JPEG. The JPEG’s from 16-bit are much larger than the JPEG’s from 8-bit (to be expected).

The ideal workflow (I think.) is: 1. Convert all 16-bit files to 8-bit.
2. Convert to the sRGB work space. 3. Convert to JPEG. 4. Size to 640 x
480 pixels.

The workflow I’ve inadvertently set up is: 1. Convert to JPEG. (It appears that Preview converted 16-bit to 8-bit in the JPEG conversion.)
2. Convert to sRGB. 3. Size to 640 x 480 pixels.

Should I go with the "ideal" workflow or the one I’ve set up? If I go to the "ideal" workflow, I’ll have to reload files from the non-raw CD’s & basically start over. I’ll do whatever you advise.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections