TH
Posted By
Tim_Harville
Aug 4, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Our newspaper is working on upgrading some production departments from Photoshop 7 to CS2, but have run into a problem – bitmap TIFF files (1-bit) saved by Photoshop CS and CS2 are rejected, 100% of the time, by our classified system. The same TIFF file saved in Photoshop 7 goes in fine.

The classified system doesn’t provide any useful information on why the files are rejected – just a "General I/O error." The only new option I see in CS2’s Save as TIFF dialog is the Pixel Order property, but neither Interleaved nor Per Channel works.

Does anyone have an idea what might be causing this, or how we can remedy the situation without abandoning the upgrade?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Tim

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ram
Aug 4, 2006
Does anyone have an idea what might be causing this

It seems your "classified system" is at fault, doesn’t it? Could you elaborate on it?
TH
Tim_Harville
Aug 5, 2006
RamΓ³n,

I fully agree – the classifieds system, which is fairly old, is most certainly at fault. But it’s the kind of multi-million-dollar system we probably won’t be able to replace for 3-5 years. Finding a way to make compatible TIFFs from CS2 is our only option if we want to upgrade Photoshop.

Basically, these 1-bit TIFFs are individual classified ads. They’re imported into the classifieds system, which converts them to EPS files for use on the classifieds pages. The workings of its input mechanism are not modifiable.

Thanks,
Tim
R
Ram
Aug 5, 2006
Tim,

Thanks for elaborating.

Have you tried saving the files as EPS in Photoshop? Would your system deal with straight EPS?

EPS files are a pain; that’s why they’re not used much any more. πŸ™
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 24, 2006
Without knowing the exact nature of the bugs in your classifieds system, there is nothing you or Adobe are likely to do to solve this.

You need to go to the vendor of your classifieds system and get them to fix the bug in their TIFF reading code.
TT
Toby_Thain
Aug 25, 2006
However I have completed a basic libtiff-based plugin <http://www.telegraphics.com.au/sw/#tifflibplugin> which may ‘wiggle’ the format enough, Tim, did this help?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections