Posted By
Daryl_Pritchard
Apr 11, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello all,

This is not a big deal, particularly in view of the fact I’m running PS CS2 on an overclocked system where that alone might introduce some unknowns, but have any of you seen something similar to the following?

Yesterday morning, I opened and printed 3 images. I left those images open in PS CS2, my system remaining up and running while I was away at work. Returning to the images last night, with nothing at all appearing odd and no other processes active with any dialogs to acknowledge (such as scheduled virus or spyware scans), I selected the Crop Tool and proceeded to define a crop of one of the images. I saw no change of the cursor to the crop cursor, but rather it remained the Marquee Tool crosshair. I vaugely recall attempting to select other tools and likewise seeing no update of the tool cursor and no indication the chosen tool was active. BUT, upon moving to another image, all appeared to work normal. That led me to think something about the first image was actively interfering with my tool use, but I found nothing. However, even though the image was only a single-layer image, I went ahead and double-clicked the Background layer to promote it to a floating layer, just to see if that action would work. It did, but I then canceled the dialog box, leaving the layer unaffected. Once that was done, the Crop Tool became functional again, as did other tools.

I performed the desired crop, saved, and closed the image. Upon doing so and now moving to the 2nd image for which the Crop Tool had worked previously, it was now exhibiting the problem seen with the first image, and again a cancelled promotion of the background layer was sufficient to restore normal operation. Crop, save, close…and to the 3rd and final image with yet again the same behavior and same "fix". Once done, I closed and relaunched PS, opened the same 3 images, and saw no erroneous behavior of the tools at all.

Bizarre, yes?

Daryl

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections