Iknow the crop tool can be used to ratote, but is there a way to make sure the rotation is straight

CC
Posted By
cal_cowen
Feb 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I use the crop tool to rotate my images if they are obviously not straight, but they seem to end up slightly out of true more often than not. How do people achieve straight images – is there a way in elements?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

SR
Schraven_Robert
Feb 13, 2004
Cal,

In order to check whether an image is straight I use the rulers that are provided by PE in the upper left hand corner. Simply by pulling them into the image you would have a straight vertical and horizontal line over your image. I then check whether doorposts or other vertical lines are straight by off-setting these against the rulers.
Depending on the perspective in the image I then decide whether to use the tool for perspective adjustment, distort or transform etc. I have not yet used the cropping tool for this. That one is new to me.

In case I need to adjust the complete image I go to rotate and do a purpose made rotation. That means I make the image rotate a few degrees to the right or left. I always take 0.5 degrees at a time or sometimes if I am totally off centre I start with 2.5 degrees and fine tune it with a smaller degree after that. I off set the results continuously against the above mentioned rulers.
Sometimes you cannot get the image a 100% square due to perspective distortion. In that case go and follow your hunch.

How I have answered your question adequately.

Robert
PL
Paul_L_UK
Feb 13, 2004
You could use the grid overlay to align your crop with.

To use toolbar view>grid
To set up toolbar>edit>preferences>ruler/grid

These should be right, although I’m working from memory.

Paul
BG
Byron Gale
Feb 13, 2004
Cal,

A trick that I’ve used to straighten images involves using the Info palette and the Line tool.

While you are drawing a line, the Info palette displays information which includes the angle of the line. You can draw a line along part of your image which you know should be vertical or horizontal, check the angle in the Info palette, and then Image-Rotate-Custom appropriately.

The Line tool makes the line "shape" on a separate layer, so just delete that layer when you’re finished. Also, the Info palette only displays the needed information while you are actually drawing, still holding down the mouse button.

Both suggestions by Robert and Paul are excellv†ø¢ BTW, and I only add mine in the spirit of sharing.

Byron
LK
Leen_Koper
Feb 15, 2004
Pretty often I have to reproduce paintings. It is extremely difficult to shoot exactly under a right angle.
Almost always there is some distortion in it. I apply the distortion tool and correct my "mistake" until it is rectangular again.

My question to the people who are trained much better in mathematics: although I take care the hight relates almost exactly to the width (I hope you right brain people understand my laymans description) is there any distortion left in the image?

Leen

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections