Posted By
Frank_Byron
Apr 4, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello all,

I am using some 3d modeling software that requires me to have my textures, or images that have transparency to be in rgba format. I’ve been succesful in making these in the past but now I can’t do it. And when I open one that was made in the past up and compare them, as far as I can tell they are completly the same. The both have alpha channels that are all black except the area I want shown which is white. They all are in RGB 8-bit mode. Even when I open one that was made previously and save it, it looses its transparency. When I do a save as, it defaults to "as a copy", I uncheck this and "alpha channels" is then clicked so I would think that is all I need to do.

Any ideas?

Thanks

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
Bernie
Apr 4, 2007
Do you have layers? if yes, try flattening the image first
FB
Frank_Byron
Apr 4, 2007
I tried flattening it. Still won’t work.
B
Bernie
Apr 4, 2007
What format are you saving the files in?

Check the save options
L
LenHewitt
Apr 4, 2007
What file format are you saving to, Frank?
FB
Frank_Byron
Apr 5, 2007
I’m saving it as a .rgba, which is what the software I’m using needs.
L
LenHewitt
Apr 5, 2007
Frank,

I’m saving it as a .rgba,<<

But that isn’t a file extension that Photoshop natively supports. SO, are you using a 3rd. party plugin to allow you to save to .rgba?

Natively, you can save RGB +Alpha as a PNG, 32-bit BMP or .PSD file from Photoshop.
B
Bernie
Apr 5, 2007
Or TIFF and Targa
FB
Frank_Byron
Apr 16, 2007
Yes, I’m using a plug in, but I thought it was one by Adobe. It is SGIFormat.8bi that allows me to save as .rgba, rgb, etc.
TT
Toby_Thain
Apr 17, 2007
Are you using my SGI Format <http://telegraphics.com.au/sw/#sgiformat> plugin? If so, and this is a bug, I’d be happy to fix it for you. Please confirm.
FB
Frank_Byron
Apr 18, 2007
Yep, thats the plugin I’m using. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
TT
Toby_Thain
Apr 19, 2007
Please send me a test file:

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections