Posted By
Annika Sedwall
Sep 23, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I am trying to make a eps file whicht shows a hand-drawn product and I would like the background to be transparent. I have opened the eps file in photoshop and marked the background + press delete. On the screen everything looks alright to me. The background is checked which according to my knowledge would mean transparent.

My problem arises when i mount the eps file into pagemaker. No matter how I do this the background is still white. Does anybody have a clue???

Best regards
Annika

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

N
nuttin
Sep 23, 2003
What format are you using to save the file? Or export the file? I haven’t used this program in ages, but I seem to recall that you need to save as a ..gif.

"Annika Sedwall" wrote in message
Hi,

I am trying to make a eps file whicht shows a hand-drawn product and I
would like the background to be transparent. I have opened the eps file in photoshop and marked the background + press delete. On the screen everything looks alright to me. The background is checked which according to my knowledge would mean transparent.
My problem arises when i mount the eps file into pagemaker. No matter how
I do this the background is still white. Does anybody have a clue???
Best regards
Annika
EM
Elena Murphy
Sep 23, 2003
I don’t believe EPS supports transparency. You should save as a file format that does such as PSD or TIF.
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 23, 2003
According to the Elements 2.0 User Guide, Photoshop EPS does support transparency, but for images in Bitmap mode only.
"To display white areas in the image as transparent, select Transparent Whites." (p. 229)
P
Phosphor
Sep 23, 2003
Chuck, I think this also has to do with how Pagemaker handles EPS files. I think I’ve seen threads in the pagemaker forum about this problem with other graphics apps also, if I’m remembering rightly.
EM
Elena Murphy
Sep 23, 2003
It’s not really a problem, and it’s not exclusive to PageMaker. You just can’t have tranparency in EPS. If you create an image with transparency in Elements, save it as an EPS, and reopen it in Elements, the transparency is replaced with white.
P
Phosphor
Sep 23, 2003
Hi, Elena. I thought that one of the features of Pagemaker was the ability to save transparency in EPS files by use of clipping paths, although I don’t know how you’d duplicate that in Elements. Sorry, guess I was wrong.
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 23, 2003
Elena, I’ve never tried EPS so I can’t claim any experience….but the User Guide specifically addresses transparency in EPS. To what, then, is the User Guide referring? I’m confused…

Chuck
EM
Elena Murphy
Sep 23, 2003
That’s saying the white areas of a Bitmap image will be _displayed_ as transparent; it doesn’t say that the already transparent areas of an image will actually STAY transparent.

You can’t actually have transparency (as represented by the checkerboard pattern) in a Bitmap mode image. If you try to create a new image in Elements, and you select Bitmap mode, you’ll see the transparent background option go away.

So when you import a Bitmap EPS into, say, Illustrator, the white areas will appear transparent, but it’s not exactly the same thing as saying that format "supports" transparency in the same way that Elements and TIFF formats do. Which is to say that when you reopen the image in Elements, the transparency will still be there, because in the case of the Bitmap EPS, it won’t.

Does that make sense? It’s a thin line, I agree, but EPS is really a printer description format and printers don’t understand "transparent" the same way most people mean it. The Bitmaps white areas will appear transparent, but if you reopen it in Elements, they’ll still be white. Whereas, if you reopen a PSD or TIF file with transparency preserved, the transparent areas will still be transparent, and you’ll still see a checkerboard in the background.
PD
Pete D
Sep 23, 2003
Chuck,

Any idea what "select Transparent Whites" available in bitmap mode means? (#5 pg 229)
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 23, 2003
Elena, that’s a great clarification – thanks very much!

Chuck
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 23, 2003
Pete, I think that issue is addressed in Elena’s last post.

I should know better than to try to answer questions in areas in which I have zero knowledge….

🙂

Chuck
P
Phosphor
Sep 23, 2003
Thanks, Elena!
EM
Elena Murphy
Sep 24, 2003
NP. I thought you guys had me for a minute there. I had to go back and double check! 😀
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 24, 2003
Elena, we appreciate your checking. The User Guide explanation was just a tad confusing…

🙂
PD
Pete D
Sep 24, 2003
Elena,

Thank you for the explanation of transparent whites! (now I can stop trying to create one 🙂

PeteD

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections