Transparency Problems when saving as PNG(Grey Background)

AB
Posted By
Adam_Burkhalter
May 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I running PS7 And this has just happened recently and haven’t found a way to fix this. When I create an image with a transparent background and try "Saving for Web" to convert it to a .png The transparency vanish’s and turns to a grey color. When I’m in the Save for web menu I click "Transparency" to make sure the background stays that way, but it won’t. I do logos for people and create cover art for albums for underground artists and sometime when creating their logo, it’s hard to not send them a png. I tried doing the restore the default settings thing, and it didn’t really help at all. I’m using Windows XP just so now. This only happened recently so does anyoen have a solution for this? Thank you.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MM
Mac_McDougald
May 20, 2004
Viewing in Internet Explorer?
It doesn’t do transparency with PNG 24, gives gray background. Works with PNG 8, but looks bad if you’ve feathered.
Matter of fact, PNG 8 is only 256 colors, so might as well use GIF, seems to me.

Mozilla (and I guess latest Netscape version) supports transparency with both.

No idea about Safari or other Macintosh browser choices.

Or Opera, or others.

Web design always a moving target.

Mac
JM
John Mensinger
May 20, 2004
Adam, it actually sounds like you may not need "Save for Web…" Try just Save As… > .PNG
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 20, 2004
Well, that will just save as PNG24.
Doesn’t change the browser compatibility prob, just makes slightly larger file.

Mac
JB
Jonathan_Balza
May 20, 2004
To use a .png in Internet Explorer, you need to use the "AlphaImageLoader" filter. (It’s Microsoft’s proprietary way of displaying .png’s in IE. Annoying? Yes!)

For more information, check this tutorial at alistapart.com <http://www.alistapart.com/articles/pngopacity/> or this page < http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/ author/filter/reference/filters/alphaimageloader.asp> at MSDN.
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 20, 2004
Yeah, ya know, I meant to mention that, as bookmarked these last time you posted them…been meaning to learn how to code it, actually. Also wondering though, if any of this will affect OTHER browsers, like give errors…

Mac
JB
Jonathan_Balza
May 20, 2004
"Also wondering though, if any of this will affect OTHER browsers, like give errors…"

Yep! That method alone won’t necessarily give errors, just not show the pictures. The tutorial at A List Apart does go through all the browser compatability issues, though… check it out and give it a read through. It’s basically a lesson in why everyone (including MS!) should be standards compliant. It would make everyone’s life a little easier.
JM
John Mensinger
May 21, 2004
Based on the original post, I’m of the impression that browser compatability is not the issue.

I suspect the OP is actually designing for print and using PNG as a go-between format for showing clients the design, (which is not a bad choice if they are MS-Office users and ill-equipped to view native PSD’s, though a properly distilled PDF would be more accurate).
JB
Jonathan_Balza
May 21, 2004
No argument there. It could be, but if they are using Windows Picture Viewer, they will get that grey background and there’s nothing to do about that – the .png is still created correctly.

He never really said what he is viewing the image with, and we won’t know until he responds, I guess. I guess Mac and I assumed IE.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections