Posted By
morgan_rogers
Jan 29, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all,
I have to do some work on some files I didn’t create — a couple hundred png files. They are 8-bit, indexed files, but when viewed on the web they have 256 levels of alpha transparency. When opened in Photoshop, they have only one level of alpha transparency 🙁

Turns out these are in some proprietary Fireworks format … anyone have any ideas how I can get these into Photoshop without losing my alpha channel, hopefully without having to BUY Fireworks … oh how I miss ImageReady 😉

Thanks in advance.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CC
Chris_Cox
Jan 30, 2009
Photoshop doesn’t work with continuous transparency in indexed color mode, only one transparent value is allowed. (ImageReady wouldn’t do it, either)

You may need to use another application to convert them to a normal RGB image with transparency.
MR
morgan_rogers
Jan 30, 2009
Thanks for the reply, Chris. I ended up downloading a trial of Fireworks and re-saving each file as a PSD.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections