A
Posted By
AlanHenderson
Jul 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I hired a company to create a company logo, business cards and a poster. They are using PS 7.0 on a MAC. During the process they sent me PDF files that I looked at using Acrobat. When the project was done they sent me the finished "original" files in PSD, PDF & ESP format. I downloaded the trial version of PhotoShop CS (Windows Version) to view the files.
When I open the PSD files I get the following error –
"Could not complete your request because it is not a valid Photoshop document." When I open the EPS files I get the following error –
"Could not complete your request because the parser module could not parse the file." When I open the PDF files all I see is a "White & Gray Checkerboard". The preview does not show any of these files, but does preview any of the older PDF files. I would like to make sure that I have the "original" files that can be edited in the future by myself or another company. The original company says they don’t know why I can’t open the files.
Thanks in advance for your help…
Alan

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

HJ
harvey_jewett
Jul 2, 2004
Check and see if the files have their file extension on them. A MAC doesn’t need file extensions and a PC does. If they don’t have file extension just click on the file name and rename with the .psd, .eps & .pdf . If that doesn’t work contact the original company and ask them to resave the files with extensions on them and the EPS preview has to be set to PC.
R
Ram
Jul 2, 2004
That’s Mac (Macintosh), not MAC (Media Access Code or Modular Access Control).

Make sure you’re not trying to open the files over a network or off a CD. Copy the closed files by dragging them to your local hard drive, add the file extensions if necessary (meaning "if they’re not there yet"), and only then open them.

If the files came as email attachments, save them to the local hard disk first.

If all of that fails, the files are damaged, they were corrupted either in transport or by a bad CD burn.
RW
Rene_Walling
Jul 2, 2004
And make sure your view settings in Windows are set so you can see the extension of your files.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 3, 2004
Alan,

I agree with the above points. And it sounds like some form of file corruption. If these files were emailed to you, they should have been zipped or stuffed. There is no inherent reason why you should not be able to open these files cross-platform.

Neil

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections