JN
Posted By
Jack_Noel
Jun 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m running an eMac 1GHz, OS 10.2.8 and PSE 2, connected via SBC DSl line.

1. I set the PSE auto update to weekly. It has ALWAYS HUNG with the message: “Bad Request. Server does not understand request.“ But after the message appears, the update always proceeded – even though the Progress Bar was faded out.

2.Until TODAY this did not effect operation of Photoshop Elements 2. PSE would finish launching and all functions have been normal. That’s why I didn’t report it until now.

3. Today the same “Bad Request” message appeared and I clicked the “OK” button as always. But the (faded) Progress Bar remained frozen and the cursor became a “Rainbow Progress Wheel” as it does when the system is working on something which takes time to complete the current operation. But today it just remained frozen, with the Rainbow Ball spinning.

4. I repaired permissions. Tried twice more with same results.

Simply: What is wrong and how do I fix it and return to “normal” operation of PSE 2?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

MM
Mac_McDougald
Jun 24, 2004
If you can get PSE start, set update check to NEVER in prefs.

If you can’t, try deleting prefs and assuming PSE starts, then set it to NEVER.

M
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 25, 2004
Jack,

There haven’t been any updates at all for Elements. Leaving it as a check weekly just seems to confuse things and cause problems so we all have set updates to never in the way that Mac said.

I assume you ended up doing a force quit to escape from the spinning beachball … hopefully if you follow Mac’s suggestions it will sort it out.

Wendy
JN
Jack_Noel
Jun 25, 2004
Thanks both to Mac and Wendy.
I will do as you suggest – supposing I ever again am able to launch PSE.

Cannot help but observe that on learning there’ve been no updates, it makes this check-for-updates “option” which DOESN’T WORK both superfluous and harmful.

Oh, I do think I’ll try reinstalling PSE, THEN make sure the new copy does not check for updates.

Thanks again you guys — I’m very happy to get such quick responses.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jun 25, 2004
You only heard part of it apparantly.

Delete prefs if you can’t open PSE.

Reinstalling doesn’t reset them (at least on the PC version).

M
JN
Jack_Noel
Jun 25, 2004
Thanks again, Mac.
I did catch the part about deleting prefs. I just didn’t want to rummage around in the Unix version of prefs. With Mac OS 9, such things were named in ways that identified them clearly, but with OS X — it’s “Unix lingo” and I’d rather not spend time guessing. You know, it’s like in the movies where the guy is trying to disarm a time bomb, guessing… “blue wire?…green wire??… Oh, what the heck, SNIP!”

Anyway, I scheduled the uninstall and re-install for later. When I got around to “zero hour” I tried one more time to launch PSE — and it DID. From there, is was just a matter of following your and Wendy’s advice — now there’ll be no more “‘checks for updates.”

Thanks again for sticking with me, Mac. I’d have tried the prefs deletion if the reinstall hadn’t worked anyway.
SS
Susan_S.
Jun 25, 2004
You don’t actually need to manually throw away the preferences (although they aren’t that hard to find in OSX anyway) – just restart Elements holding down the shift/option/command keys and then click yes to delete the Adobe photoshop Elements settings file. (p33 of the manual) Uninstalling and reinstalling doesn’t automatically remove the preferences and they seem to go bad fairly easily and cause weird problems – hence the presence of the shortcut to their removal.
Susan S
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 25, 2004
And, further, you have no UNIX command(s) to learn to manually delete the preferences… A simple trip to the Finder, delete a folder, and there you go!

Ray
PR
Paul Riemerman
Jun 25, 2004
It’s a little more confusing with PSE I — there are updates for it, and the update applet also behaves very badly.

Paul Riemerman

"Ray" wrote in message
And, further, you have no UNIX command(s) to learn to manually delete the preferences… A simple trip to the Finder, delete a folder, and there you go!

Ray

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections