CB
Posted By
Charles_Bickers
Jun 10, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m running photoshop elements 2.0. When I open it and it attempts to go out and update the ‘brushes’ the program is unable to do this. Does any one have any suggestions to correct/fix this problem?

Thanks,

Charles Bickers

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BH
Beth_Haney
Jun 10, 2005
That’s an odd combination, because the automatic update feature usually doesn’t tell you what it’s doing. Take a closer look. Is it really hanging up while trying to update? Or, is it hanging up at "loading brushes" while trying to launch?

If it’s truly hanging up while attempting to do an automatic update, check out response #1 in this thread, where I explained how to disable the automatic update feature.

<https://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128@@.3bbac0c9>

If, on the other hand, the application is hanging up during launch at the point where it’s trying to load brushes, it could be there’s something in the program that has become corrupt. The first thing I would recommend you try is deleting the current Preference folder, which may or may not clear it. If it does, great. If not, repost, and we’ll get you some additional instructions. There’s no point in getting totally carried away with suggestions until the problem has been better defined. To delete the preferences:

With Elements closed, click on the start up icon and then make a QUICK grab for the Control, Alt, and Shift keys (Win) or Command, Option, and Shift keys (Mac). Hold all three down until you get a screen asking if you want to delete Settings. Say Yes. A new folder will rebuild as the program continues to launch.

If you aren’t quick enough, this won’t work, so you might have to have your fingers on those three keys before you ever hit the start up icon.

The folder can also be deleted manually, but you’d have to tell us which platform and operating system you’re using before anybody could post a path.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections