DN
Posted By
David_Neale
Jun 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Problems printing to a HP LaserJet 1200 from Elements under Panther.

During the process, the print centre shows, Sending the print file; under Status, "Printing"; on the printer, the green light flashes — all looks good.

The same state continues for several minutes

Suddenly, the status line disappears in the print centre and "No Job printing" is shown. On the printer, the green light stops flashing.

Nothing has been printed.

Printing the same file to the same printer from Graphic Converter works without a hitch…

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 19, 2004
Start with the most simple solution… Repair permission ?
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 19, 2004
Go here <http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?127@@.599b318e> and search on your model. There are heaps of problems with the 1200 in panther and different solutions have worked for different people. You’ll find several things to try, including using the generic driver or downloading print center repair utility.
DN
David_Neale
Jun 21, 2004
Although it was very difficult to find a support contact at HP itself (especially from Belgium!), I was finally able to make contact by trying to download the HP LaserJet 122 driver and discovering a problem with the downloaded file. Anyway, we finally got around to discussing the original problem and, after a couple of tests, HP came up with the following answer (this is an extract):

We understand from your e-mail that the problem occurs when printing to the HP LaserJet 1200 from Adobe Photoshop Elements under Macintosh Operating System 10.3.4 (Panther). During the process, the print center shows, "Sending the print file" with, under Status, "Printing". On the LaserJet 1200, the green light flashes. The same state continues for several minutes. The status line disappears in the print center and "No Job printing" is shown. On the printer, the green light stops flashing. Nothing prints. Printing the same file to the LaserJet 1200 from Graphic Converter works. Other problems are encountered when sharing the printer, using Panther’s built-in Printer Sharing facility.

We have provided some troubleshooting steps and information that may help resolve this issue.

With regard to Panther’s built-in Printer Sharing facility, the HP LaserJet 1200 cannot be used with Apple’s USB printer sharing software as USB printer sharing is not supported with these printers.

When printing graphic files, change the setting for printing from binary or ASCII PostScript as per the instructions provided by the software application manufacturer.

Remember that graphics that are inserted in a document must be formatted as ASCII to print correctly on most HP printers.

In fact, I was able to finally print from PE, by using Print Preview…-> Show More Options -> Encoding: JPEG (printing fails with ASCII or Binary, which is what I think the Adobe message is trying to say).

It’s a shame that USB printer sharing isn’t supported by the LaserJet, though it does work occasionally, I have to say — very sporadic, however!

Still, we now know that it IS possible to print to the LaserJet 1200 from PE (I suspect other HP printers will exhibit the same problem, so the somution will, presumably, also be the same).
DN
David_Neale
Jun 29, 2004
Here’s a tip for all HP LaserJet 1200 users who are having difficulties printing with PE or anything else: try the CUPS printer driver <http://www.cups.org/>.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections